The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Anyone Studying Geology etc @ Southampton?

Hello!

Wondering if anyone is studying Geology or any other Earth science related degree at soton starting this october!

anyone around for freshers also?

so much to do my head is exploding
I remember doing GCSE Geology lol My school was one of only two in the part of the UK that offered GCSE and A-level Geology at the time.
I must say I found it interesting, especially fielwork trips. Unfortunately it was very unpopular- there was only one Geology class in my year, with about 15 of us in the class!

Sorry OP, i know im not really contributing to your thread.

Out of interest...what are your a level subjects and grades for geol at sthmptn?

Did you do gcse and a level geology??
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
I did Geology at A level it was pretty awesome.
I went on loads of fieldwork trips including one to iceland.

only 4 in my class for AS and 3 at A2.

my school is only 1 of 3 in wales offering it.
i didnt do it at GCSE however.

I got BBB in Biology Geography and Geology at A2
dreadyman
I did Geology at A level it was pretty awesome.
I went on loads of fieldwork trips including one to iceland.

only 4 in my class for AS and 3 at A2.

my school is only 1 of 3 in wales offering it.
i didnt do it at GCSE however.

I got BBB in Biology Geography and Geology at A2

You did exactly the same A2s as me :P
I'm doing physical Geography, but hoping to take some Geology modules :smile:
Reply 4
FallenLeaves
You did exactly the same A2s as me :P
I'm doing physical Geography, but hoping to take some Geology modules :smile:

greatness!!!
you going to southampton??

what halls you in? : D

you based at the NOC too then?
dreadyman
greatness!!!
you going to southampton??

what halls you in? : D

you based at the NOC too then?

Yeah I am :biggrin: Can't waiit!

I'm in Selborne Court in Glen Eyre.. And seem to be the only one! What about you?

And nah I'm at the main campus :smile:
Reply 6
I know someone in the fourth year doing geology, he is the president of the fencing club :smile:
Reply 7
sconzey
I know someone in the fourth year doing geology, he is the president of the fencing club :smile:

Roger? that cat in monte ?

im off to monte 2.

anyone going to quiz and a curry? before freshers party?
I'm just about to start my third year, having taken a year out :smile: any questions feel free to ask!
sconzey

Ah, your facts are wrong!! The president of the fencing club is actually just going into 3rd year. I went mapping with him this summer in Bulgaria for our independent mapping reports!

Anyway, I'm Heather and I'm the treasurer on GeolSoc so come and say hi if you see me kicking around doing society things (ie. taking money off you!) and do join the GeolSoc because the discounts you get on stuff more than make up for the membership fee! We have an awesome cocktail party at the end of the autumn term, lots of field trips and trips to things like the Natural History Museum in London and when you start getting into the higher years we run lots of stuff about careers (well, you can come as a fresher but they're not so relevant I guess!). You'll get talks in some lectures at some point for more info but do join because it's worth it :biggrin:

Edit: Oh, and if any of you want the Marshak book (3rd ed.) on your reading list then I'm selling a second hand one (which is basically new because I rarely used it!) for £30. Give me a PM if you want it, I can come and deliver it to you in Southampton after 20th if you want - it will save me posting it!
Reply 10
Hey, I'm about to go into Geology @ soton too. :smile:

How soon is the first field trip of the first year? I remember something about it being only a week or two into the term but I'm not 100% sure... :s-smilie:

Also, anyone going to Wessex Lane??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending