Is Edinburgh Napier a good uni?

Watch this thread
Freaked_outStudent
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
The entry requirements are low (CCD for my course (!!) which put me off a bit) as I'm looking for middle of the range entry requirements, but I was wondering what kind of experiences students have had there. Obviously it varies from subject to subject (I'm planning on studying English Lit.) but are lectures well organised, resources easy to get hold of, etc? Is it in a nice area or is it rough (I think I read something about the campus being close to the city's red-light district, which would definitely put me off, but maybe I got it wrong)? Any info about the uni/feedback from current or past students would be great!
PrincessOfNutters
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 years ago
Im a current student at Napier, Im studying Biomed Sciences and about to go into my second year.

Dont mind the low entry requirements, it means nothing on the quality of the degree.

Lectures are always well organaised, its one thing lecturers take pride in. I think Edinburgh is a pretty nice place to study, meet some great people there and some good culture too, its deffinately not close to the red-light district, and I've been to most of the campuses. Resources and extremely easy to get, you walk into the compus library and go to the section you need and have a look there if not as someone if its been borrowed, normally you can get what you need first try.

Hope you enjoy your time there
SoulMan
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Alot of Scottish universitys have lower grade requirements for students from England because Degree courses here last for 4 years instead of 3 in England.

To answer your question though I have just started Napier and I am impressed so far, I already had a few friends at the university and they all have enjoyed their time so I would suggest you consider it as it is a good university.
arminvanpite
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Napier. WOO! "Where does everybody go except for you and me? NAPIER! NAPIER!" ...yeah.

PS. Join NUSC.
RYANinCLOTHES
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
I've been to two universities, one which is apparently the leading university for my sort of course, and obviously Napier which is one of the only Universities to actually offer my course, though the qualifications I want, it's the only place to get em.

I'd say so far, Napier is impressing me more and more... and I haven't even started my course properly yet. :P
minhpham
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Hi, I have the same problem like you..... I have tried to find more details and informations about Napier....but I am really confused, if it is really good university......

Freaked_outStudent: I have chosen English literature field too, so maybe we will see each other soon :-)
Hamzah Hussein
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I've not heard of Edinburgh Napier University. It compels me to comment in the diverse review.
I intend to take a part time degree in business management as a working adult with ENU. I am having second thoughts
Is it a good university comparable with best for part time degree courses. Are the modules relevant for the food industry? What kind experience can I get? Any information from working adults in F&B past/present students will be appreciated.

Hamzah
RobynEMcl
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Hey! Although I'm not a student at Napier yet I hope to be studying there come September.

I went to many university open days and I have to say Napier was by far the best. Even my hard to impress parents were blown away by the quality of everything from the lecturers, campus's, accommodation and the areas of the 3 campuses. The students from the open day were so lovely and enthusiastic about the university. As well as making sure the course I was looking at was suited to me, which it was, I also wanted to look at the social side of being a student at Napier. The campuses and accommodation are a stones throw from the busy centre of Edinburgh where something is always going on. There also seems so be an exciting Union as well as many societies to join. I really hope I get I to Edinburgh Napier as I simply love it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
LondonLawyer
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Hamzah Hussein)
I've not heard of Edinburgh Napier University. It compels me to comment in the diverse review.
I intend to take a part time degree in business management as a working adult with ENU. I am having second thoughts
Is it a good university comparable with best for part time degree courses. Are the modules relevant for the food industry? What kind experience can I get? Any information from working adults in F&B past/present students will be appreciated.

Hamzah
(Original post by RobynEMcl)
Hey! Although I'm not a student at Napier yet I hope to be studying there come September.

I went to many university open days and I have to say Napier was by far the best. Even my hard to impress parents were blown away by the quality of everything from the lecturers, campus's, accommodation and the areas of the 3 campuses. The students from the open day were so lovely and enthusiastic about the university. As well as making sure the course I was looking at was suited to me, which it was, I also wanted to look at the social side of being a student at Napier. The campuses and accommodation are a stones throw from the busy centre of Edinburgh where something is always going on. There also seems so be an exciting Union as well as many societies to join. I really hope I get I to Edinburgh Napier as I simply love it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sure the Uni is itself quite lovely, with a great campus, gives the chance to get a decent job if you work hard, and good support for mature students, but it doesn't have a good reputation.

It's the bad version of Edinburgh Uni.
RobynEMcl
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I'm sure there is some course variation, but I think it is what is right for you and personally, when I visited EDU I didn't believe it was the same standard as Napier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
LondonLawyer
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I'm sure there is some course variation, but I think it is what is right for you and personally, when I visited EDU I didn't believe it was the same standard as Napier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
?

Edinburgh Uni (the real one) has an amazing reputation.

Napier, no one has heard of.
RobynEMcl
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LondonLawyer)
?

Edinburgh Uni (the real one) has an amazing reputation.

Napier, no one has heard of.
I'm saying that not every course will have the same reputations and it's about where you want to go and what feels right for you. Am I right in presuming you are English?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hamzah Hussein
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I'm saying that not every course will have the same reputations and it's about where you want to go and what feels right for you. Am I right in presuming you are English?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you, no I'm not English. I'm Singaporean.
RobynEMcl
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Hamzah Hussein)
Thank you, no I'm not English. I'm Singaporean.
Well then I understand why you have probably not heard of it. I am Scottish and I have. Most foreign students seem to aim for the top universities in whatever country to make it worth their time going away and paying the fees. So I get why you haven't heard of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (56)
26.42%
As I expected (67)
31.6%
Harder (81)
38.21%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.77%

Watched Threads