Is it going to become a reality here? Watch

This discussion is closed.
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
After discussions about file sharing networks and the implications of the laws in America, it finally looks like the laws against file-sharing networks could be coming to Europe; and inevitably to the UK.

It will probably take a while for the legislation to get through should they choose to implement it.

More about it here
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
god this sucks, you would think that the rise of mp3s would tell them that CDS ARE TOO EXPENSIVE

grrr
EI_123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The legislation will have to ban encryption ... or it will not stop anything.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
After discussions about file sharing networks and the implications of the laws in America, it finally looks like the laws against file-sharing networks could be coming to Europe; and inevitably to the UK.

It will probably take a while for the legislation to get through should they choose to implement it.

More about it here
ohhhhh god, they are gonna get me lol.

jesus christ, whats wrong with downloading some songs to listen to, and to swap with people? its absolutely ridiculous, i should be able to download songs, whats the big deal.
G4ry
Rep:
?
The thing is it may ban grokster and kazaa, but there are always other ftp and p2p sites around, you just have to dig a bit for them.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
The thing is it may ban grokster and kazaa, but there are always other ftp and p2p sites around, you just have to dig a bit for them.
Anyway the can't ban distributed server based applications.
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Eternal Idol)
The legislation will have to ban encryption ... or it will not stop anything.
Under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 law enforcement agencies can demand the key to unencrypt the data. If you are unable to then I believe it is a two year custodial sentence.

The ISP industry regularly investigates complaints from copyright holders about file-sharing abuses, but as of yet they remain unwilling to hand over the identities of their customers without a court order.
Funny that, considering that it would be illegal to in most European countries.

Alaric.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)
Under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 law enforcement agencies can demand the key to unencrypt the data. If you are unable to then I believe it is a two year custodial sentence.
Is that an English regulation?
Sorry, I'm not from U.K.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
are they going to ban radio aswell? seing as i could record songs off the radio. for free.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
are they going to ban radio aswell? seing as i could record songs off the radio. for free.
Becareful, I'm going to copyright the letters (at least all the English and Spanish alphabet).

So, everyone that says a word must pay me.
G4ry
Rep:
?
(Original post by elpaw)
They may as well do VCRs as well while they're at it, and prevent DVD recorders from coming out as well. It is actually ilegal to record off the radio, but how exactly are they going to go about enforcing it, so they don't bother.
G4ry
Rep:
?
(Original post by Eternal Idol)
Becareful, I'm going to copyright the letters (at least all the English and Spanish alphabet).

So, everyone that says a word must pay me.
In that case i'm off to copyright the letter "e" the most commonly used letter in the english alphabet.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Nobody can stop something about what he has no clue.
RIAA and those ass**** thinks that all started with Napster, idiots.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
exactly, this is my point, what on earth is the big deal about gettin some music to listen to, without having to pay for it, it seems absolutely pathetic.

if they have a problem with their cd's not selling, then sort the prices out (well, i wud still download for free anyway lol.)
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
In that case i'm off to copyright the letter "e" the most commonly used letter in the english alphabet.
No if I get first to the copyright office
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
Win MX rulez!!!

it finds more music than kazaa on searches, WAY MORE MUSIC!
and i dont think they know about it, unlike with kazaa.....
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
exactly, this is my point, what on earth is the big deal about gettin some music to listen to, without having to pay for it, it seems absolutely pathetic.

if they have a problem with their cd's not selling, then sort the prices out (well, i wud still download for free anyway lol.)
Yes, me too, but I still buy some very SELECTED cds, and I buy DVD movies and also download divx too.
They have to slow down the prices and improve the packages, the art specially is one of the things that make me buy an original album.
G4ry
Rep:
?
(Original post by bono)
Win MX rulez!!!

it finds more music than kazaa on searches, WAY MORE MUSIC!
and i dont think they know about it, unlike with kazaa.....
Shhh, keep it quiet we don't want everyone else to know about it.

It is still quite well known, better than Kazaa for music and better quality too. Kazaa is better though for video and software (although there are soemtimes virii in the software)
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
in that case you won't be getting any money from Ernest Vincent Wright for his novel "gadsby".
G4ry
Rep:
?
(Original post by elpaw)
in that case you won't be getting any money from Ernest Vincent Wright for his novel "gatsby".
I'm sure your joke is funny but i don't get it because i haven't read the book. Is it because he doesn't use the letter "e" in it once?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (213)
67.83%
No (101)
32.17%

Watched Threads