The Student Room Group

The Manchester City Society II

Scroll to see replies

Pre season n all that but Danilo has been an absolute beast so far in all 3 games.
Wonder if Man City will regret not trying to buy Neymar?
Thread is dead but...

I really don't like this two striker system for City. With two forwards they don't have the wide players, and that makes it the job of covering the wide areas when the wingbacks get forward easier. Same as last game, lots of the game the back line was 4 v 4 rather than the 5 v 4 it likely would be if they just played a single striker.

Changed it now with the red but would be better if they did this with 11.
Original post by Fizzel

I really don't like this two striker system for City. With two forwards they don't have the wide players, and that makes it the job of covering the wide areas when the wingbacks get forward easier. Same as last game, lots of the game the back line was 4 v 4 rather than the 5 v 4 it likely would be if they just played a single striker.

Changed it now with the red but would be better if they did this with 11.

One problem that's not helping that is that Brighton and Everton decided to park the bus rather than turn up and play football. Against teams that come out and at least try I reckon it would work but it's just trying to figure out which teams actually want to play and adapting to a slightly different setup.

Next game is Bournemouth, who, based on last season, will actually turn up and give their fans an engaging match (hopefully). So it could be interesting to see if it works there - but if not change it like you said. But with Sterling playing well today he might get the nod ahead of Jesus or Aguero anyway.
Fraudiola strikes again
Original post by clarkey500
One problem that's not helping that is that Brighton and Everton decided to park the bus rather than turn up and play football. Against teams that come out and at least try I reckon it would work but it's just trying to figure out which teams actually want to play and adapting to a slightly different setup.
You can't depend on the other team not being smart enough to realise they are playing one of the most expensive squads every assembled as a tactic to beating them. You need to create openings not wait for a team to present one. Even when a team parks the bus there are weaknesses, and for nearly two games you given opponents a free pass to barely defend the wide areas.

The problem with that formation is it provides little width, you're relying on two players, the rest are all centrally focus. Playing such a style makes parking the bus a much more viable game plan as staying compact is far easier, you defend the centre. When you have forwards like Sane and Sterling coming inside from wide while also having the wingbacks you give team much more difficult decisions in the wide areas. Its also stretches the defensive line to begin with. If a team is playing expansive football then fine but as a starting formation in the league its a poor choice, as few sides are going to go toe to toe with City in search of points.
The city thread awakens!!!
Reply 6027

Next game is Bournemouth, who, based on last season, will actually turn up and give their fans an engaging match (hopefully). So it could be interesting to see if it works there - but if not change it like you said. But with Sterling playing well today he might get the nod ahead of Jesus or Aguero anyway.

So Brighton, Newcastle, Huddersfield, Chelsea, Arsenal, United, Spurs(if they go 1-0 up), Stoke, West Brom, Leicester, Everton, West Ham, Burnley and Swansea are likely to park the bus or sit deep and make it frustrating when you play them. You can't blame all of those teams for making the match boring.
Was scrolling through twitter (guy's handle is @11tegen11) and saw this. The guy creates graphics of passing networks.

Average position maps but this goes to show how many of the players on this team are committed to keeping the width, and their relative involvement. If you have a look at the guys timeline you'll see its quite an unusual looking graphic.
Got the result we deserved today, maybe not through the best circumstances but nonetheless got the 3 points. Sterling's red card is the second completely undeserved red card we have received in 3 games, which is worrying. Although, talking of red cards Ake should have been sent off when Jesus was otherwise through on goal. Bournemouth deserve some credit for actually trying though (for the first 80 or so minutes), as they did last season.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
So Brighton, Newcastle, Huddersfield, Chelsea, Arsenal, United, Spurs(if they go 1-0 up), Stoke, West Brom, Leicester, Everton, West Ham, Burnley and Swansea are likely to park the bus or sit deep and make it frustrating when you play them. You can't blame all of those teams for making the match boring.

You seem to have misunderstood my post. I wasn't blaming them, I just said we would have to play differently (than 3 at the back) to draw them out. Maybe play a back 4 with the fullbacks being able to join the attack. Keeping Fernandinho in a suitable position just in case we lose the ball.
Looking for FB 2-3 Facebook Moderators on new Mancity FB page and Group.If interested Please send a message to this account.
Reply 6032
I heard that Man City spend more on defence than North Korea.
Good game today and a much better performance even before the red card. The team worked well together and it was good to see that Aguero and Jesus can play together. The red card made it slightly easier for us but with how we was playing we probably would have won anyway, having said that, it was an obvious red card and he had to, therefore, walk for it.
Solid start to the Champions League this season. John Stones now equal top scorer in the group stages alongside Messi, Ronaldo, Kane, Cavani and Pardo...
Solid start to the Champions League this season. John Stones now equal top scorer in the group stages alongside Messi, Ronaldo, Kane, Cavani and Pardo...

agree, although i genuinely think shakhtar could be problematic, especially when we go to kharkiv in december, it looks an ok fixture but i think shakhtar are so underrated
15 goals in the last 3 games with 0 conceded. Not too shabby... especially when It's Crystal Palace next as well.

And people may say "oh, it's only Watford", yet Watford were unbeaten and had only conceded 3 goals in 4 before this game.
Reply 6037
Original post by IamJacksContempt
15 goals in the last 3 games with 0 conceded. Not too shabby... especially when It's Crystal Palace next as well.

And people may say "oh, it's only Watford", yet Watford were unbeaten and had only conceded 3 goals in 4 before this game.

The defence improvement has been interesting, would like to see them vs spurs/united/chelsea. The goals stuff isnt that impressive, it is the defence im impressed with.
Reply 6038
Man City did this last season when they were flying for the first 10 games and then starting dropping points.

The main worry has to be their CBs.. can you go through a whole season with those players?

Quick Reply

Latest