The Student Room Group

The Manchester City Society II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6180
It was usually Lahm until he bought Alonso.
Seen Touré has slated Guardiola to France Football.

Original link here - https://www.francefootball.fr/news/Yaya-toure-accuse-pep-guardiola-le-coach-de-manchester-city/907357 - it's in French but it's also splashed all over the English media.

He was cruel to me. Do you really think Barcelona could have done that with Iniesta? I came to wonder if it was not because of my colour. (...) I am not the first to talk about these differences in treatment. At Barça, some have also asked the question. Maybe we Africans are not always treated by some in the same way as others. (...) When we realise that he often has problems with Africans wherever he goes, I ask myself questions (...)

Actually Yaya, the probable reason you didn't really play last season is because you are 35 years old.

Not that I like Guardiola. Petulant and quite disagreeable. But not a racist.
(edited 5 years ago)
Yaya Toure the model pro..
If only he had played Yaya Man City would not have dropped so many points, when will Pep ever learn.
If I was a Man City fan, I'd be a little miffed if the club's record signing was Mahrez..
Wow Jorginho picks Chelsea over Man City..

I'm really surprised by that!
Original post by Zerforax

Once Sari went there and I think more wages as well? Also London over Manchester isn't a hard decision :redface:
Reply 6187

Sit on City's bench or start for Chelsea and challenge City for the title working with a manager thats got the most out of him? Think that's an easy choice. He has to take a spot off 1 of Gundogan/Silva/Fernandinho when he'd be an automatic starter every week at Chelsea(but will play around similarly good players in Kante+Fabregas).
Didn’t know City had enough fans to warrant a thread :rofl:
Original post by Bryci
Once Sari went there and I think more wages as well? Also London over Manchester isn't a hard decision :redface:

Original post by bj27
Sit on City's bench or start for Chelsea and challenge City for the title working with a manager thats got the most out of him? Think that's an easy choice. He has to take a spot off 1 of Gundogan/Silva/Fernandinho when he'd be an automatic starter every week at Chelsea(but will play around similarly good players in Kante+Fabregas).

Well for a lot of players, working for Guardiola is a huge pull.

He would win more at Man City and you would expect him to become a regular starter pretty quickly at Man City?

Most footballers are dull as **** so not sure why living in London would make any difference. When you've got that level of money, you can make anywhere good frankly.

Original post by PullOutGameWeak
Didn’t know City had enough fans to warrant a thread :rofl:

I don't think any (or maybe one or two?) Man City fans post but it's a good place to chat about the club.
Reply 6190
Well for a lot of players, working for Guardiola is a huge pull.

He would win more at Man City and you would expect him to become a regular starter pretty quickly at Man City?

Most footballers are dull as **** so not sure why living in London would make any difference. When you've got that level of money, you can make anywhere good frankly.

I don't think any (or maybe one or two?) Man City fans post but it's a good place to chat about the club.

Man City over the last 5 years have won the same amount of trophies as we have? They won the title in record fashion but so did we the season before.

So who's place is he going to take at City? Like think about it for a second, Gundogan can't get into the team and you expect Jorginho to?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by bj27
Man City over the last 5 years have won the same amount of trophies as we have? They won the title in record fashion but so did we the season before.

So who's place is he going to take at City? Like think about it for a second, Gundogan can't get into the team and you expect Jorginho to?

But Man City have been in the CL for all 5 years whereas Chelsea have been a mess with the boom and bust cycle. 2 league titles followed by 2 seasons finishing outside the top 4. That's without going into the fact that two of your best players are trying to force their way out.

I thought he would be taking Fernandino's position?
Reply 6192
But Man City have been in the CL for all 5 years whereas Chelsea have been a mess with the boom and bust cycle. 2 league titles followed by 2 seasons finishing outside the top 4. That's without going into the fact that two of your best players are trying to force their way out.

I thought he would be taking Fernandino's position?

Man City have been in the CL for 5 years but they've not done any better than us on the pitch overall despite our boom-bust cycle which looks worse than it is because of the Mourinho season. City 2 years ago and 3 years ago could easily have been in the same position, its fine margins and is not indicative of who is better between us two over the past 5 years. I think its kinda myopic looking at last season to see who is a more attractive option. City have a better team but Chelsea have a team that can challenge(assuming Hazard stays and we make a couple signings)

Fernandinho and Gundogan both play in that position though. I dunno I'd look at Bernardo Silva who people would have thought have taken his namesakes position in central midfield yet is touching the bench for the entire season and will be on the bench even more now with Mahrez(in fact if Pep uses Bernardo Silva in CM that leaves less space for Jorginho.

He would get games, but he wouldn't be an automatic starter.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by bj27
Man City have been in the CL for 5 years but they've not done any better than us on the pitch overall despite our boom-bust cycle which looks worse than it is because of the Mourinho season. City 2 years ago and 3 years ago could easily have been in the same position, its fine margins and is not indicative of who is better between us two over the past 5 years. I think its kinda myopic looking at last season to see who is a more attractive option. City have a better team but Chelsea have a team that can challenge(assuming Hazard stays and we make a couple signings)

Fernandinho and Gundogan both play in that position though. I dunno I'd look at Bernardo Silva who people would have thought have taken his namesakes position in central midfield yet is touching the bench for the entire season and will be on the bench even more now with Mahrez(in fact if Pep uses Bernardo Silva in CM that leaves less space for Jorginho.

He would get games, but he wouldn't be an automatic starter.

Well Man City have done better recently than Chelsea - I don't know how you can dispute that? They've matched Chelsea's success and then not had the same lows.

Yea fair enough if Jorginho wouldn't be a regular starter. Seems to becoming slightly more common where Man City try to sign but won't promise being first choice (see same with Van Djik?).
Reply 6194
Well Man City have done better recently than Chelsea - I don't know how you can dispute that? They've matched Chelsea's success and then not had the same lows.

Yea fair enough if Jorginho wouldn't be a regular starter. Seems to becoming slightly more common where Man City try to sign but won't promise being first choice (see same with Van Djik?).

3 PLs each in the last 10 years but with Chelsea grabbing the ultimate honour in the CL but ok m8 no one can dispute anything you say
Original post by mhsc
3 PLs each in the last 10 years but with Chelsea grabbing the ultimate honour in the CL but ok m8 no one can dispute anything you say

Are people going to keep arbitrarily moving the dates back to suit them? Initial point was that Man City are more attractive than Chelsea now. bj27 extended that back 5 years and now you're extending back 10 years.

If I go back 40 years and say Liverpool won YXZ in those years, does that suddenly make them more attractive than Man City today? :rolleyes:
Reply 6196
Difference between pool and Chelsea is that we've actually won something of note recently.

Neither Chelsea or City have been consistent. Coming 4th and 3rd being almost 20 points behind the leaders is not consistent.

Before last year the last time they title challenged was 2014. Compare that to title wins in 15 and 17. Neither team are consistent, we destroyed the league the year before and City did the same (even if they did it better). In the CL both city and Chelsea have got to the CL semi finals the last 5 years.
(edited 5 years ago)
I would say that we have had a good pre-season and based on today's performance, we look ready for the premier league next week.
You guys look like you could walk the league again. Bernardo Silva look immense playing the David Silva role.
Original post by TheLittlestElf
You guys look like you could walk the league again. Bernardo Silva look immense playing the David Silva role.

I imagine this season will be tougher as I imagine teams will attack us more as we're champions. I haven't really paid much attention to other teams' pre-season matches, but Chelsea looked pretty good today considering the players they were missing, Hodson Odoi looked really good and could be a good prospect (along with Foden). I imagine Liverpool will probably be up for a fight as well. I think they're the teams most likely to challenge us. I think that was one of Bernado's best displays today and he's definitely put himself in contention for the game against Arsenal. It will be interesting to see who plays in goal as Ederson hasn't played for a while now whereas Bravo has played most of pre-season and this first game is a big one.

Quick Reply

Latest