This discussion is closed.
Lisx
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I am 20 yrs old and want to study vet med, in september i hope to go to sixthform to do math, bio, chem and physics.

My heart is set on vet med but i know it can be tough to get into, I know i can get the grades but i'd like some advice on how to "make myself standout" so that i'll get offered a place.

I've been reading that you need a fair deal of work experience, any advice on what places are best for this experience would be appreciated.

Also any personal experiences of getting offers and what you did to achieve them would be fab.

to suzy_vet: i saw a message of yours about being offered a place at vet school and it inspired me to join this site, well done for getting your place and maybe we can have a natter sometime about vet med

Lis xxx
onearmedscissor
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Do you like animals?
Lisx
i LOVE animals, i have quite a few of my ownt too, x
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lisx)
I am 20 yrs old and want to study vet med, in september i hope to go to sixthform to do math, bio, chem and physics.

My heart is set on vet med but i know it can be tough to get into, I know i can get the grades but i'd like some advice on how to "make myself standout" so that i'll get offered a place.

I've been reading that you need a fair deal of work experience, any advice on what places are best for this experience would be appreciated.

Also any personal experiences of getting offers and what you did to achieve them would be fab.

to suzy_vet: i saw a message of yours about being offered a place at vet school and it inspired me to join this site, well done for getting your place and maybe we can have a natter sometime about vet med

Lis xxx
One of my good friends applied for vet med (presently planning on going to the RVC) so I know a bit about the admissions procedure. You do need a lot of work experience - if you plan to apply to Liverpool you will need at least 6 weeks work experience. However plenty of applicants count 1 or 2 days as a week which is ok because it can be hard finding placements and having the time to do them! Work experience can be pretty much anywhere animal/science related e.g. farms, vet practices, zoos, conservation of animals etc.

When you do some work experience in the vet practices do make some notes on 'interesting' cases you come across, how they progress and how they are treated (specific drug names).

As for how to make yourself 'stand out' - good grades are a must and you have just got to be really enthusiastic/on top of things in your interview. You have to show a high level of commitment but that will be shown by all your work experience. Any science achievements are also good because all vets are scientists at heart. That's all that really comes to mind Good luck with your application !
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lisx)

Lis xxx
the fact that you are a mature student will also help you stand out
Lisx
Thanks, I'm doing an open university science course at the moment while i'm waiting for September to come, and i have a ongoing "to-do" list saved on my laptop of all the things I need to achieve, everytime I come across something I need to do I add it, i'm also taking down web addresses of animal charities that ask for volunteers as a starting point for the work experience.

Thankyou! its good to have like minded people to talk to, i only just discovered this site, xxx
mjf
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Farm work is particularly important - especially lambing/calving and dairy work. Veterinary practice is ok, try and see a couple of practices of different sizes for comparison. Also visiting abbatoirs, veterinary laboratories, zoos, kennels/catteries, stables, maybe something abroad.
You will get asked questions about this should you be shortlisted for interview - but in being predicted straight As you may not get an interview. Its that hard. You need to have plenty of extra curricula stuff e.g. playing instruments, sports that type of thing. Also you may be asked to explain why you have decided now that you want to become a veterinary surgeon and waited so long. I know one person I spoke to today at my bristol interview and she said that you have be under the age of 30 when you graduate for them to consider you. Really those people usually have a 1st or 2:1 in an alternative science degree - I heard of people doing Biomedical sciences and Biochemistry - so you need to be on a par with them really. Did you do well in your A Levels in other subjects? Are you going to do the Bio, Chem, Maths and Phys in a year?If you want any more info pm me.
mjf
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Just thought of something else to add...have you actually contacted the veterinary schools admissions tutors to see that what you are doing will be acceptable to them? I would do that before you make any further plans...
Lisx
I have been ill so I haven't done any A levels yet, but I have been doing OU course to keep my mind active.

do they view past illness as a reason not to take you on if you are fully over it by when you apply?? or will they see it as dedication not letting it get in the way or your career plans?

I'll be 23 when i apply to university as i will be doing the four A levels full time over two years like the 16yr olds at my local sixth form.

On the vet school websites it does say they will accept mature students as long as they have recently got the same qualifications as what is expected of the "younger generation" (that makes me feel old!-lol)

i'm kind of worried now that they'll refuse me because i'll be older than the rest... but then again mature students can become vets... Truda Mostue (sp?) did it,

Thanks for your advice! xxx
mjf
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If I were you I would phone the admissions tutors and see what they say rather than taking the websites answer. That way you know whether it is worthwhile or not. It would seem such a waste of time if you didnt get in. Trude Mostue was a different case - she was a foreign student so paying full fees (the unis like that!), and had a sound knowledge of biology, chemistry. To be honest tere is soo much competition, you may find it a struggle.
Psyche
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lisx)
I have been ill so I haven't done any A levels yet, but I have been doing OU course to keep my mind active.

do they view past illness as a reason not to take you on if you are fully over it by when you apply?? or will they see it as dedication not letting it get in the way or your career plans?

I'll be 23 when i apply to university as i will be doing the four A levels full time over two years like the 16yr olds at my local sixth form.

On the vet school websites it does say they will accept mature students as long as they have recently got the same qualifications as what is expected of the "younger generation" (that makes me feel old!-lol)

i'm kind of worried now that they'll refuse me because i'll be older than the rest... but then again mature students can become vets... Truda Mostue (sp?) did it,

Thanks for your advice! xxx
The one thing that will make you stand out from the other "younger " candidates is your dedication and passion. Don't give up and don't lose hope. It won't be easy, but if you can convince them of your determination for being a Vet and your commitment to it now they're not going to look at your history (good or bad, it's up to you to convince them of that) unfavourably.

If you're concerned email them - it's a good idea!

Best of luck with it all!
Lisx
I don't see why I should have any more difficulty in getting in than anyone else.. surely if i have the qualifications and work experience etc that an 18 yr old has and I get turned down because of my age thats discrimination.

thanks for putting a downer on my dream tho, i'll ring them asap, xxx
Lisx
(Original post by Psyche)
The one thing that will make you stand out from the other "younger " candidates is your dedication and passion. Don't give up and don't lose hope. It won't be easy, but if you can convince them of your determination for being a Vet and your commitment to it now they're not going to look at your history (good or bad, it's up to you to convince them of that) unfavourably.

If you're concerned email them - it's a good idea!

Best of luck with it all!
Thankyou!

I will have Chem, Bio, Math and physics A Level grade A
I will get the work experience
*and*
I will do anything to get in!

xxx
Psyche
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lisx)
Thankyou!

I will have Chem, Bio, Math and physics A Level grade A
I will get the work experience
*and*
I will do anything to get in!

xxx
That's the spirit! And if it doesn't turn out how you want it you'll at least have given it your best shot.

If you want to have a chat about it or whatever, feel free to PM me. (I've applied for Vet Med this year, so in theory I should know something about it )
Lisx
I have just emailed the 6 vet schools regarding my situation, it is a case of wait and see now.

I am waiting to hear back from the sixth form also...

So in the mean time I shall be researching work experience! any suggestions on where to apply would be appreciated.

Thankyou, xxx
Lisx
Thank you for your communication. We consider applications from mature
students usually 1 or 2 are admitted. The competition for places is very
fierce with 14 applicants per place. You would have to achieve equal
parity at A-levels (AAB), explain fully the reasons why you did not
complete your sixth form education and demonstrate wide-ranging experience
and commitment. Guidance Notes for Applicants are attached, which offer
further advice
email just received from Liverpool, so although it'll be tougher to get in as a mature student its not impossible!

Wish me luck!!

xxx
mjf
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lisx)
email just received from Liverpool, so although it'll be tougher to get in as a mature student its not impossible!

Wish me luck!!

xxx
Good luck with only one possible place at liverpool - you may need more than luck!
Lisx
(Original post by mjf)
Good luck with only one possible place at liverpool - you may need more than luck!
why are you so negative? Is it your role to tell me whether I am capable of getting that place? Is it your goal in life to put people off their dreams?

If I work hard there is no reason why I should not have exactly the same chance as any other mature student. Or is there a reason why you think i'm least likely to get in?

There are other universities that offer places to mature students too.

I am determined and committed and i'm not going to let you make me think i can't do it!

xxx
Peapod
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lisx)
why are you so negative? Is it your role to tell me whether I am capable of getting that place? Is it your goal in life to put people off their dreams?

If I work hard there is no reason why I should not have exactly the same chance as any other mature student. Or is there a reason why you think i'm least likely to get in?

There are other universities that offer places to mature students too.

I am determined and committed and i'm not going to let you make me think i can't do it!

xxx
I think he is just one of the any snobbish folk on here - ignore him. You can but try!
mjf
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lisx)
why are you so negative? Is it your role to tell me whether I am capable of getting that place? Is it your goa
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (238)
61.82%
Yes- I don't like it (18)
4.68%
No- I want it (104)
27.01%
No- I don't want it (25)
6.49%

Watched Threads