This discussion is closed.
deary_ma_leary
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Just doing a bit of research, how many people here smoke?
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by deary_ma_leary)
Just doing a bit of research, how many people here smoke?
It wouldn't be a good idea to use any results from here. This is an educational forum and consequently there isn't a broad range of people so you're results wont be fair or accurate.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I've never smoked.
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
It wouldn't be a good idea to use any results from here. This is an educational forum and consequently there isn't a broad range of people so you're results wont be fair or accurate.
She could be doing research for the number of 12-20 year olds that smoke for all you know - so it may be relevant. Although the reliability of the results may be questionable.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
She could be doing research for the number of 12-20 year olds that smoke for all you know - so it may be relevant. Although the reliability of the results may be questionable.
Yes but those that smoke are quite likely to be underachievers and therefore I don't think they'd be on here.
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes but those that smoke are quite likely to be underachievers and therefore I don't think they'd be on here.
How do you know that? How do you know everyone here reaches their capabilities? I don't think i do and i don't smoke, so there goes that theory...
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
How do you know that? How do you know everyone here reaches their capabilities? I don't think i do and i don't smoke, so there goes that theory...
It's more likely. More people smoke if they are underachievers and I'm sure that's a fact.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
But you may be lying...
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
dont be naiive.

you know that in general the smoker/drinkers etc are on average not going to be high grade achieving students on an educational forum.....be realistic.
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776 2)
But you may be lying...
Exactly, i may be and so may everyone else be lying. Which is why the reliability of the results is questionable.
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
People on here are generally too intelligent to be smokers, I think.

Well, except for at least one I can think of.
deary_ma_leary
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
that is a completely ridiculous and uneducated comment!!-give me the facts to back that up and i'll admit i'm an underachiever!

also, its not actually research as such, more personal research :rolleyes: i just wanted to know really
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Linking intelligence with smoking is really stupid.
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
went through a phase of smoking when i went to pubs/clubs (something to do) now i only have tabacco in spliffs, which isnt that often
picju96
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Nooooooooooooooooooooool! Filthy habit.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Eternal Idol)
Which means that she smokes herself.
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Eternal Idol)
Yeah.

I mean, what kind of really intelligent person would want to give themself a high chance of having a painful premature death?

Why the hell do people start smoking nowadays?

I know someone who started smoking the other day but she's an idiot, she really is. The biggest idiot I know I think. I asked her if she wanted to die early and she said "Well, I'm screwed anyway".
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776 2)
Which means that she smokes herself.
She?
And read the whole thread, I've never smoked.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
http://home.wanadoo.nl/jusnl/smokers/

Would you say that Albert Einstein wasn't intelligent? ...
Dot.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by deary_ma_leary)
that is a completely ridiculous and uneducated comment!!-give me the facts to back that up and i'll admit i'm an underachiever!

also, its not actually research as such, more personal research :rolleyes: i just wanted to know really
Well, yes and no actually. There's obviously no link between intelligence and smoking but there is a certainly a link between social class and smoking. Lower class folks are more likely to smoke than upper class folks.

There is also a link between being from a lower class and "underachieving"

But, smoking per se has bugger all to do with "achieving stuff"
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (385)
67.07%
No (189)
32.93%

Watched Threads