This discussion is closed.
Dickie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
People on here are generally too intelligent to be smokers, I think.

Well, except for at least one I can think of.
hang on, since when was intelligence related to smoking?
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
No.
Yeh no1 usually understands me What I'm trying to say is that I don't agree that more of the lower classes smoke than the upper classes because many of the upper class people smoke pipes and stuff... Ok I'm thinking of stereotypes now, I'll just shut up
me!
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Dickie)
hang on, since when was intelligence related to smoking?
since about an hour ago?
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by me!)
Yeh no1 usually understands me What I'm trying to say is that I don't agree that more of the lower classes smoke than the upper classes because many of the upper class people smoke pipes and stuff... Ok I'm thinking of stereotypes now, I'll just shut up
Well, I just stumbled on this little study called "Social Class and Smoking at Age 15" penned by Sweeting H, and West P, in 2001

Here's what they have to say,

Ø The percentage of those who had ever smoked rose from 50% for class I (professional) to 76% for class IV (unskilled).

Ø The percentage of social class smoking 7 or more cigarettes a day rose steadily from 12% for class I (professional) to 21% for class V (unskilled).

Ø The percentage of those smoking 35 or more a week rose steadily from 7% for class I (professional) to 13% for class V (unskilled).

Ø The percentage of those smoking 70 or more cigarettes a week rose steadily from 1% for those from class I (professional) to 8% for those from class V (unskilled).
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
Yeah.

I mean, what kind of really intelligent person would want to give themself a high chance of having a painful premature death?

Why the hell do people start smoking nowadays?

I know someone who started smoking the other day but she's an idiot, she really is. The biggest idiot I know I think. I asked her if she wanted to die early and she said "Well, I'm screwed anyway".
Biggest smokers in university are lawyers and medics (FACT)
However, after uni 75% of medics give up, wwhereas only 20% of lawyers do
J
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, I just stumbled on this little study called "Social Class and Smoking at Age 15" penned by Sweeting H, and West P, in 2001

Here's what they have to say,

Ø The percentage of those who had ever smoked rose from 50% for class I (professional) to 76% for class IV (unskilled).

Ø The percentage of social class smoking 7 or more cigarettes a day rose steadily from 12% for class I (professional) to 21% for class V (unskilled).

Ø The percentage of those smoking 35 or more a week rose steadily from 7% for class I (professional) to 13% for class V (unskilled).

Ø The percentage of those smoking 70 or more cigarettes a week rose steadily from 1% for those from class I (professional) to 8% for those from class V (unskilled).
What are you implying?
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
What are you implying?
I'm not implying anything. Rather, I'm stating a fact; that members of the lower classes have a greater propensity to smoke than members of the upper classes.
JSM
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
dont be naiive.

you know that in general the smoker/drinkers etc are on average not going to be high grade achieving students on an educational forum.....be realistic.
how do you know, i drink and am an occasional smoker
LimpNoodle
Report 16 years ago
Well, yes and no actually. There's obviously no link between intelligence and smoking but there is a certainly a link between social class and smoking. Lower class folks are more likely to smoke than upper class folks.

There is also a link between being from a lower class and "underachieving"
That is probably the most snobish fing i have ever read. So the upper class dont smoke? have u checked that out? is it because mummy and daddy dont smoke cos ur obviously "upper class".

fool
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by LimpNoodle)
That is probably the most snobish fing i have ever read. So the upper class dont smoke? have u checked that out? is it because mummy and daddy dont smoke cos ur obviously "upper class".

fool
sorry doll, as snobbish as it may sound, its true
LimpNoodle
Report 16 years ago
who u calling DOLL ****
i know loads of geeks who smoke. u go Newcastle if you dont smoke your weird. I can class thats as abuse to people with jobs not as well paid.

But wait up thats whats wrong with people with nice houses with their own cleaner and stuff they think a builder is a lower class, where as u wouldnt have your nice house if people didnt do that job. Its the same with every single one. You can come back with something but it wont help.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
who u calling DOLL ****
i know loads of geeks who smoke. u go Newcastle if you dont smoke your weird. I can class thats as abuse to people with jobs not as well paid.

But wait up thats whats wrong with people with nice houses with their own cleaner and stuff they think a builder is a lower class, where as u wouldnt have your nice house if people didnt do that job. Its the same with every single one. You can come back with something but it wont help.
well i figured any ones calling themselves link is either female or has serious problems.

Geeks - not equal upper class
Well its true, those in the lowest social bands, tend to have the most pressure (apart from lawyers and investment bankers) and as such, more tend to smoke.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

fool
I didn't say the upper class don't smoke. Please follow the thread and hopefully you will see what I am trying to get at.
LimpNoodle
Report 16 years ago
i'm bored get it right pal, problems !?!? u see those people that go out on thursdays who have a social life and dont sit on their computer all night, i'll be one in 5 mins so hurry and reply before i leave.

anyone who has 1,929 posts on a learning website has social problems! yeah bye
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i'm bored get it right pal, problems !?!? u see those people that go out on thursdays who have a social life and dont sit on their computer all night, i'll be one in 5 mins so hurry and reply before i leave.

anyone who has 1,929 posts on a learning website has social problems! yeah bye
see, me im smart, i get my work done, i got a social life
me!
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i thought it was Wednesday...
LimpNoodle
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by me!)
i thought it was Wednesday...
shhh dont tell him

yeah u be smart and get a nice job and i'll be wiping your ass when i'm older, enjoying it alot more than you
emma_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, yes and no actually. There's obviously no link between intelligence and smoking but there is a certainly a link between social class and smoking. Lower class folks are more likely to smoke than upper class folks.

There is also a link between being from a lower class and "underachieving"

But, smoking per se has bugger all to do with "achieving stuff"

I think that it is stupid to say that lower class people are more likely to smoke then higher class people! If anything, richer people will have more money to waste on cigs. I know a lot of 'upper class' and 'lower class' (I HATE those phrases) and on average, I would say the amount who smokes is about equal, or if anything, 'higher classes' smoke more!
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emma_)
I think that it is stupid to say that lower class people are more likely to smoke then higher class people! If anything, richer people will have more money to waste on cigs. I know a lot of 'upper class' and 'lower class' (I HATE those phrases) and on average, I would say the amount who smokes is about equal, or if anything, 'higher classes' smoke more!
Look. If you'd take the time you'd see that I posted a source in support of my statement.

It's up above somewhere so please take a look. If you can be bothered you will learn that it it was not "a stupid thing to say" but rather a fact.

Why cannot some people take the time to read and research before posting?
101mphfastball
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Lots of college students smoke........so would that mess with the results for this target population??

Though thats only an observation not a statitsical fact.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (230)
61.33%
Yes- I don't like it (16)
4.27%
No- I want it (104)
27.73%
No- I don't want it (25)
6.67%

Watched Threads