What ID do I need to open a bank account?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Amy//Rose
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I need to open a new account, and I just wanted to check what I need as ID. I would ring the bank and check but it's closed. I read on various websites that you need photo ID, but what counts?

Photo ID that I have:
*Passport - it expired in June
*College ID card
*Railcard

I'm pretty sure that the last two are not going to be much use, but will they take my passport even though it's expired? :erm: I have my birth certificate, what else do I need?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Also, if I wanted to change my current HSBC account to a student account, do they need to see ID for that or can I do it over the phone/internet?
Billa Bong
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i am not sure if they will accept an expired passport but i just took my passport and driving licence and that was enough...you could try taking it and see what they say or just ring before you go to check if it's alright
and i think you can switch online but again they will need evidence that you are actually a student etc
iamwhoiam17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Different banks have different requirements, ask the bank what they need!
Repressor
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You can take a provisonal driving licence if you are 17 otherwise you'll need a full driving licence.

To make a student account you'll need a UCAS letter or a letter from your university showing that your place has been accepted.
JacksterD
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Natwest accepts the following. You need one from the ID table and one from the Address table.

Identification Table
Current signed Passport
EU national ID card
Current Full UK photocard Driving Licence
Current Full UK Driving Licence (old style paper version)
Construction Industry - Tax exemption certificate with photograph of holder (forms CIS4, CIS6)
Student identification/matriculation card (from a recognised university or college) - must be valid for current academic year
Firearms or shotgun certificate
Benefits book or original notification letter from the Benefits Agency (including Dept. of Work and Pensions) and/or Job Centre Plus confirming the right to benefits at present.
Photo credit/debit card issued by a UK/EU bank
UK armed forces ID card
Police warrant card
Disabled driver's pass
OAP Travel Pass
Original HM Revenue & Customs issued tax notification and correspondence
Identity Card issued by the Electoral Office for Northern Ireland
For 20 years old and under only
NHS medical card
Birth certificate
UK provisional photo card driving licence
PASS Card (Young Scot, Citizencard, Portman Group, Validate UK or equivalent)

Address Verification Table
Council Tax bill or payment book (within last 12 months)
Utility bill - within last 6 months (mobile phone bills and internet access bills are not acceptable)
Current full UK photo card driving licence
Current full UK driving licence (old style paper version)
Bank/building society/credit card statement (within last 6 months)
Original mortgage statement (no more than 12 months old)
Benefits book or original notification letter from the Benefits Agency (including Dept. of Work and Pensions) and/or Job Centre Plus confirming the right to benefits at present.
Current local Council rent card or tenancy agreement (private tenancy agreements are not acceptable)
Original HM Revenue & Customs issued tax notification and correspondence
Solicitor's letter confirming recent house purchase or land registry confirmation
For Students Any item from the address verification list can be taken to confirm address. Alternatively, you can show us a:
University/college Letter of Acceptance/Enrolment offer
Student Loan Company/LEA/SASS Award letter
UCAS letter
Introduction from a recognised UK college or university
For customers 20 years and under
UK provisional photocard driving licence
Amy//Rose
Rep:
?
So for NatWest I'd just take my birth certificate and my UCAS letter? :woo:

I wanted to open a normal account with Santander, and a student account with NatWest so if I've read that right that's awesome! The normal account will just have to wait until I get a new passport I guess.
Pacman78_6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You need something to verify your address too in order to open an account. Just take a electricity bill or something.
Amy//Rose
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pacman78_6)
You need something to verify your address too in order to open an account. Just take a electricity bill or something.
But it wouldn't be in my name, surely that matters? I'm 18, I don't pay any bills like that. Even my phone bill is in my mum's name :/
Pacman78_6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Nope but you would need two forms of identification which will include the same address as the bill. e.g your driving license and passport would have the same address as the bill
Amy//Rose
Rep:
?
Nope but you would need two forms of identification which will include the same address as the bill. e.g your driving license and passport would have the same address as the bill
So, I could take my phone bill (which is in my mum's name but I pay) and my bank statements as proof of address?

My UCAS letter has my address on it too. I will ring up to double check tomorrow though
Pacman78_6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yep take ur UCAS. I needed my ucas letter to prove I was a student

To be safe...just take everything lol driving license, passport, ucas letter and a statement or bill showing your address.
Amy//Rose
Rep:
?
Yep take ur UCAS. I needed my ucas letter to prove I was a student

To be safe...just take everything lol driving license, passport, ucas letter and a statement or bill showing your address.
The whole problem was my lack of driving license and expired passport :p: But I'll take my passport anyway.
HEJ92
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Amy//Rose)
I need to open a new account, and I just wanted to check what I need as ID. I would ring the bank and check but it's closed. I read on various websites that you need photo ID, but what counts?

Photo ID that I have:
*Passport - it expired in June
*College ID card
*Railcard

I'm pretty sure that the last two are not going to be much use, but will they take my passport even though it's expired? :erm: I have my birth certificate, what else do I need?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Also, if I wanted to change my current HSBC account to a student account, do they need to see ID for that or can I do it over the phone/internet?

you need a passport or provisional/full driver's licence ( and a utility bill - for natwest )
at0micsmurf
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Take everything you have. They'll do whatever they can to help you so you can have an account. At the end of the day they want you as a customer so they won't tell you to piss off
Taste of Honey
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I finished opening my Natwest student account today in branch and fortunately just happened to have my passport and UCAS acceptance letter on me, which were accepted fine. I doubt they'll accept an expired passport unfortunately, but a birth certificate they should accept instead (not everyone has the money to buy a passport/provisional licence!). You'll need the UCAS letter (or something similar) to prove you're a university student.
kpwxx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
So for NatWest I'd just take my birth certificate and my UCAS letter? :woo:

I wanted to open a normal account with Santander, and a student account with NatWest so if I've read that right that's awesome! The normal account will just have to wait until I get a new passport I guess.
That's right for natwest, since you're under 20 they'll take birth certificate as proof of ID and UCAS letter as proof of address (and also as proof of being a student)
x-pixie-lottie-x
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you may need to go in but shouldnt need id...
my abbey one changed itself
x
Carpe Diem Jay
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
reviving a 6 year old thread yolo

my passport is expired -> natwest appointment is on tuesday...
wednesday-> must give bank details + passport to new place of work

either I get lucky and both the bank and employer accept my birth certificate or my hopes and dreams are totally dashed
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (239)
56.77%
I don't have everything I need (182)
43.23%

Watched Threads