This discussion is closed.
ButterCookie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Is anybody doing or has anybody done AS Sociology (AQA)? I'm a bit confused about the topics we are meant to cover.

At my college, since September we have been doing Module 3 - Theory and Methods, and we've had the exam for that today.

I know that the other topics we are going to be doing are Families and Households, and Wealth, Poverty and Welfare. However, I've just been looking at the spec. on the AQA site it lists other topics e.g. Work and Leisure, Education etc. Are we supposed to study ALL of these so that we can choose a question in the exam, or do most centres just concentrate on one topic for each module? If they're only going to teach us one topic for each module then I'll feel that I'm missing out. Plus, 6 months seems a long time to cover just 2 topics. It's been bad enough doing Theory and Methods for 4 months!
Policingman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hey m8,

you only do 2 topics...

for example, last year (AS) i did Families and households...

This year im doing religion and and Crime and divenance..

FAamilies is a really good topic..

take care

Crunch
ButterCookie
Rep:
?
Thanx for your reply Crunchie.

Did you find Theory and Methods last year, too? And I hear there's more of it in the A2 course . . .

What other topic did you do besides Family & Households?

Religion sounds interesting.

Have you had an A2 exam today for Sociology?
phreek
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Is AS/A2 Sociology worth taking? I applied for it but im thinking about changing it to economics, should I?
ButterCookie
Rep:
?
I find Sociology a bit "waffley" i.e. in the exams you just waffle waffle waffle. As I've been saying, I've only done the first term of AS and I think it was proabably the most boring module (Theory and Methods). The other modules like Family and Religion do sound more interesting.

I'm not impressed by the teachers I have at the moment, otherwise I think I would enjoy the subject more.

I expect it is very different from Economics. Economics would look very good and swotty, compared to Sociology which is seen as a soft subject. I suppose it depends on what sort of subjects you're into!
Policingman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hey,

i find Sociology really interstering...

the topics at AS i did where:

-Education
-Families and household

at A2 im studying:

-Religion
-Crime and Diveance

in terms on sociology being a
compared to Sociology which is seen as a soft subject
it is a very hard Alevel to do, and one which i really want to do well in...
Its great for looking for a job in the police, fire services, doctors etc..
there is loads of jobs which like having a Sociology degree..
Im studying it because ive been accepted into a Policing degree at Thanet Universty (hence i wanna be a policeman)... My AS sociology grade got me in where as economics wouldnt have!

it is all personal to what you want to do... there are easier A levels to do thou :cool:

Crunchie
Evil Muffin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Sociology is a v. useful subject to have if you're doing History or English, as you can apply your knowledge to those areas too. However, if you're thinking on doing a very academic course at university (e.g. medicine, maths, etc), i wouldn't advise doing it as some admissions tutors may see it as a soft subject, even though we know full well its not!

Family is quite an interesting topic...explained a few things about mine anyway! I got 103/105 for that paper at AS, which I was quite pleased about.

Has anyone done their AQA religion exam? It was ok, though the question about why young people participated less in religion wasn't something I had previously considered. The secularisation essay question (no.6) was fine though.
Policingman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hey,

yer. i do History and Business so Sociology fits in quite well...

Has anyone done their AQA religion exam? It was ok, though the question about why young people participated less in religion wasn't something I had previously considered. The secularisation essay question (no.6) was fine though.
Hey, i did that exam... I did the essay question 5 on the sects and cults, although now i should have combined question 1 and 2, and used my knowledge in Sects on Cults to prove secularisation is occuring dispite the rise in radical religious groups! But hopefully i did okay as i applied so much revision to sects and cults!

Has anyone done their AQA religion exam? It was ok, though the question about why young people participated less in religion wasn't something I had previously considered
Yer, that chucked me abit, but i looked at my situation on how i see religon, and put in how location (moving out of big towns so getting together for mass pray time can be harder), more young people work weekends, the media and its impact etc.....

hopefully i did okish :rolleyes:

Crunchie
undiscovered
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Your college/sixth form will choose one topic from three for each unit.
the_passenger
Report 16 years ago
crunchie

i noticed you said you did families and education topics and doing religion and crime for A2?

im doing the same...so wondering what you did for AS coursework and what you are doing for A2 coursework now?

also, you doing history? me too...what are you doing for your personal project HA2 thing?

thanks x
Policingman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hey,

for history, my A2 coursework question is:

"To what extent was propaganda the most important factor in Hilter`s consolidation of Power in Germany, 1933 - 1945?"

For sociology, i cant remember my AS title, but i got a B, for my A2 i am doing:

"Boys demand more time with the teacher in the classroom, thus disadvantaging females educational acievement"

Crunchie
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (528)
66.75%
No (263)
33.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed