billiethekid
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I have just started my A2 courses and I'm currently trying to do an extended project with a subject title which is related to geography, however i am finding it difficult to come up with something that would be interesting to look into without being impossible to research and be able to write 6000 words about, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as i would like to study geography at university and i feel that completing an epq related to it would be very useful. Also, if anyone knows any books that would be useful for a geography student to read that would also be greatly appreciated.
fishkeeper
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, I did an EPQ (5000 words for me) on tornados, and how their damage toll can be reduced. Though there were geographical and scientific aspects.

My friend did a human geography epq on the slums of India

What sort of geography are you interested in more? Human or Physical? Then what topics are more of interest to you. Then pick out ideas and then ask for some help from your supervisor?
billiethekid
Rep:
?
I'm more interested in physical geography, there are so many aspects to it but i'm really struggling to think of a good title for a project.
fishkeeper
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by billiethekid)
I'm more interested in physical geography, there are so many aspects to it but i'm really struggling to think of a good title for a project.
If you like Tectonics, how about something relating to that? We started studying them properly today and there was the paleomagnetism? Tectonic movement is fairly recent with the first theories in the 1960s, and it is a major factor in geography, so perhaps investigate those? I'm interested in that, so I may be being biased here.

How about posting what you enjoy most out of physical geography, and people may also contribute to helping a title. Just remember, your topic needs to be in depth enough to go into a deep analysis of it to get into the higher marks.

Btw, what other subjects are you taking at A-level?
Banzaii
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Is it possible to do an extended project on unit 4 (the investigation unit) of AQA??

My school is a science school and are offering this to only a few elite medicine folk so I'm being left in the dark. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
billiethekid
Rep:
?
I'm fairly sure that the extended project is meant to be something that isn't on the syllabus so doing something like that wouldn't be suitable.

I do have quite an interest in earthquakes and volcanic activity caused by tectonic plate movements, could i look into something like "Is there anything we can do to prevent tectonic disasters?"
chrisc93
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by billiethekid)
I'm fairly sure that the extended project is meant to be something that isn't on the syllabus so doing something like that wouldn't be suitable.

I do have quite an interest in earthquakes and volcanic activity caused by tectonic plate movements, could i look into something like "Is there anything we can do to prevent tectonic disasters?"
No.

I certainly wouldn't use "prevent," as tectonic events such as earthquakes and volcanoes are natural. You cannot prevent them. However, you can reduce the impacts they cause.
RaspberryHaze
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think El Nino could be a really good topic for the extended essay as it is a topic which isn't quite as obvious as others and will show your geographical knowledge. Something like 'What is the future of El Nino?'.
obayiaristotle1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Struggling to find a good in depth topic/title for my geography EPQ. looking for a topic on the physical side of geography. if anybody could hazard a guess as to what a suitable title/topic i could use would be, that would be very helpful !!!!!!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (170)
14.58%
I'm not sure (54)
4.63%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (343)
29.42%
I have already dropped out (35)
3%
I'm not a current university student (564)
48.37%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise