This discussion is closed.
emilycatelia
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
i wanna do economics in cambridge (preferably at st. catharine's), but i want to know what is the chance of being accepted if i don't do a level maths (just as level, but not a2) - i do economics and business though...also, i got 8As, 3Bs, 2Cs for GCSE. i don't think that is good enough for cambridge, is it? i heard the competition for places is high, but how many people in uk actually got all "A's" for their as AND a2 level *curious*...

plus...what is the interview like?

please help!!!

emily
Geogger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If you do Econ and Business, them Cambridge will not really want you UNLESS you are also doing A2 Maths! Pure Economics A2 is regarded as much more appropriate.
For many of the Cam colleges, A2 Maths is essential (even though it says AS Maths is acceptable in the general econ prospectus). Queens' for example certainly will not even consider you unless you do A2 (and preferably Further Maths!) I'd suggest you look and ask around a lot of colleges... you might find one or two who will consider you.
What are your other subjects?
Whilst your GCSE grades may be a bit on the low side for Cam (They probably would like a few A*), the crucial thing is to get really, really high AS marks!
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Why did you not do the A2 in maths? Because I wouldn't imagine you'd want to do an economics course if you didn't like that kind of Maths. Your GCSEs are probably lower than usual, but if you have a reason for it, or you've shown that you've come on leaps and bounds under the alevel system, then they might not care.

Best of luck.

Lex.
emilycatelia
my other subjects are economics, business studies and ict. i was considering to drop maths next yr cos i wanna do ict instead of a2 maths (P3, S2, S3) which a lot of people said its very hard. is it that hard? my gcse grades were low cos i was in a very bad state school, my friends got E's and F's...but now im in a much greater state school where most people got A's and B's...will cambridge consider this as well?

i want to do economics more bcos of the theory than the maths. does cambridge's economic degree involve a lot of maths???? i heard some people got into oxford to do econ & management without doing a2 maths..that's why i wanted to know if it's the same in cambridge. cos cambridge's economic course seems to teach less maths than oxford's. anyhow, is there any chance i can get in?? did all oxbridge students get all A*'s and A's in their GCSEs and A's in a levels?? *worried*

emily
username3134
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm worried from your post that you seem to be confused as to what Economics degrees consist of. The very nature of Economics is heavily maths based, much more so than the narrow insight we gain of the subject at A2. The Econometrics used in Economics degrees will be at least of A2 level standard, if not harder. The entire degree, whether at Oxford or Cambridge will focus heavily on maths, or the use of maths in economics. I'm afraid that if you don't find maths interesting, then economics may not be the degree for you.

Savvy
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emilycatelia)
i i heard the competition for places is high, but how many people in uk actually got all "A's" for their as AND a2 level *curious*...
something like 20,000 got AAA at A2 last year, don't know about the both together
neildm
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by savvy10)
I'm worried from your post that you seem to be confused as to what Economics degrees consist of. The very nature of Economics is heavily maths based, much more so than the narrow insight we gain of the subject at A2. The Econometrics used in Economics degrees will be at least of A2 level standard, if not harder. The entire degree, whether at Oxford or Cambridge will focus heavily on maths, or the use of maths in economics. I'm afraid that if you don't find maths interesting, then economics may not be the degree for you.

Savvy
I agree partially. Cambridge and LSE are heavily maths based, but if you take PPE at Oxford you won't have much of a problem - its said to be more on the qualitative side.
username3134
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
True, although you would then need the relevant knowledge of politics and philosophy to earn your place there. The competition for places on PPE at Oxford, and Economics at Cambridge, is so high that the admissions tutors can afford to choose the very best, despite what their literature might say. With so many applicants, I would be surprised to find anyone gaining a place without 3 (possibly 4) A's at A2, and all A's and A*s at GCSE. It's still worth a shot mind, although you would REALLY have to know your Economics to get the place.

Savvy
Geogger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Be careful too, as your post regarding your A levels suggests you are doing both economics and business studies (as 2 separate ones?) I though this was not allowed by the exam boards - normally people do one or the other and universities may not accept both. If you are only doing one of these then pure econ is much better. AND you may need to continue with the Maths!
To try for Econ and Management at Oxford, you need to look at previous posts on the Oxford interview threads and you will see that the success rate for E&M is about 20%. PPE is about 29% and for the latter course you still need a very good AS grade in Maths to be able to cope with the Economics in the prelims!
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Geogger)
Be careful too, as your post regarding your A levels suggests you are doing both economics and business studies (as 2 separate ones?) I though this was not allowed by the exam boards - normally people do one or the other and universities may not accept both. If you are only doing one of these then pure econ is much better. AND you may need to continue with the Maths!
To try for Econ and Management at Oxford, you need to look at previous posts on the Oxford interview threads and you will see that the success rate for E&M is about 20%. PPE is about 29% and for the latter course you still need a very good AS grade in Maths to be able to cope with the Economics in the prelims!
ok, to be honest, lets way it up.

8As, 3Bs, 2Cs for GCSE - Not A*'s and A's like most applicants
Only Mathematics at AS - need it to A2 definitely for Oxbridge
Dont even like maths that much - Economics has a lot of maths, pure maths. Dont like maths = Economics not for you.
Business Studies, ICT at A-Level - Not subjects that r respected much by Oxbridge, especially compared to the applicants who do 3/4 really core, respected A-Levels. e.g.) Mathematics, Physics, Economics, English Literature, Chemistry, even Computing etc.

Overall, it looks bleak. Very bleak i am afraid.

i am only being honest. its one thing having low gcse grades, but ur A-Level subjects r not so well respected, especially with an institution such as Cambridge where they pick the VERY BEST indeed.

and if u dont like maths, then economics is not 4 u mate.

Sorry, but got to be realistic.

btw: One of Jools' friends, had 10 A*'s at GCSE, 5 A's at A2, a fab perosnal statement etc and got rejected for Econonmics & Management at Oxford. And his A-Levels were superb, very wll respected etc. (it has to be...)
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emilycatelia)
i wanna do economics in cambridge (preferably at st. catharine's), but i want to know what is the chance of being accepted if i don't do a level maths (just as level, but not a2) - i do economics and business though...also, i got 8As, 3Bs, 2Cs for GCSE. i don't think that is good enough for cambridge, is it? i heard the competition for places is high, but how many people in uk actually got all "A's" for their as AND a2 level *curious*...

plus...what is the interview like?

please help!!!

emily

OK, I have a friend doing economics here and I have just asked her so this is what she said. You need A2 maths (sorry) but the economics course here isn't massively mathematical: there's one maths paper out of a total of 5 papers in the first year. But you still need A2 to be in with a chance - and I wouldn't risk not doing it anyway really because your grades are lower than your usual Oxbridge candidate. Doesn't mean you've no chance though - if your school was poor you can try the Special Access scheme and they will make allowances. Good luck whatever you decide to do.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
OK, I have a friend doing economics here and I have just asked her so this is what she said. You need A2 maths (sorry) but the economics course here isn't massively mathematical: there's one maths paper out of a total of 5 papers in the first year. But you still need A2 to be in with a chance - and I wouldn't risk not doing it anyway really because your grades are lower than your usual Oxbridge candidate. Doesn't mean you've no chance though - if your school was poor you can try the Special Access scheme and they will make allowances. Good luck whatever you decide to do.
going to a bad school doesnt entitle you ro go to a special access scheme by any stretch of the imagination.

- disability
- very bad family problems at time of exams
- other v.important reason

these MAY, POSSIBLY get u to be considered specially, but no way 4 going to a school u think isnt as good as ur current one.
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
going to a bad school doesnt entitle you ro go to a special access scheme by any stretch of the imagination.

- disability
- very bad family problems at time of exams
- other v.important reason

these MAY, POSSIBLY get u to be considered specially, but no way 4 going to a school u think isnt as good as ur current one.

Apparently there are certain schools where they do make allowances for you in Special Access.. or so I've heard. I'll check and get back to you.
username3134
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
True. I went to a not-so-good state school, but still came out with 10 A* GCSE's. It's what you make of it, so don't blame it on your school. This won't cut any ice with Oxbridge either, and is more likely to provoke a stinging rebuke from an admissions tutor than any sympathy.

Savvy
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Apparently there are certain schools where they do make allowances for you in Special Access.. or so I've heard. I'll check and get back to you.

Okey dokey. It says 'If no one from your family or very few people from your school have gone on to do a degree, or if your schooling has been interrupted for certain reasons, this scheme could help you.'

Unclear in other words - so best not to rely on it I guess. They'll take note of your GCSE grades and will possibly expect you to justify them (they did this to my friend, who applied for Music). It doesn't look hugely hopeful I'm afraid...
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Okey dokey. It says 'If no one from your family or very few people from your school have gone on to do a degree, or if your schooling has been interrupted for certain reasons, this scheme could help you.'

Unclear in other words - so best not to rely on it I guess. They'll take note of your GCSE grades and will possibly expect you to justify them (they did this to my friend, who applied for Music). It doesn't look hugely hopeful I'm afraid...
my mother and father never did a degree - they moved from iran to england during the time of the war.....

so can i use this special access scheme then?
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
just curious thats all.........
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
my mother and father never did a degree - they moved from iran to england during the time of the war.....

so can i use this special access scheme then?

I don't know... possibly. My parents never did a degree either but then I went to a private school so I expect I wouldn't have been considered! But ask your teachers... do you need the scheme? I don't think they lower the A level grades by much, and from what I know of you I think you'll get three As without any trouble... but ask if you're curious

edit: try here: http://www.cam.ac.uk/cambuniv/ugpros...elcome06g.html
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I don't know... possibly. My parents never did a degree either but then I went to a private school so I expect I wouldn't have been considered! But ask your teachers... do you need the scheme? I don't think they lower the A level grades by much, and from what I know of you I think you'll get three As without any trouble... but ask if you're curious

edit: try here: http://www.cam.ac.uk/cambuniv/ugpros...elcome06g.html
No I don't think i need the access scheme - just curious as to the terms of it, as my parents never did a degree.
emilycatelia
ok..i need to correct my gcse grades a lil bit, i got 1A*, 7As, 3Bs and 1C. it doesn't make much of a difference but i just wanna correct it. i'm not blaming my old school but my teachers kept changing for half a year for the lower grade subjects. they didn't teach at all, and i didn't know what to do back then...anyways, thx for being honest too.

ok if i don't drop a2 maths, and i get very high marks for as, will i have more chance? very importantly, why cant i do business and econ together? aren't they relevant and helpful? i asked oxford, and they said my subjects are ok, they didn't say i can't do these 2 subjects together. even if my subjects are not highly respected, at least im doing maths and econ.

ok, if i don't do econ or business, i won't do anything else, cos my only interest is either of these subjects, and im not too interested in careers based on ict even if i like ict. im not saying i don't like maths, i find maths very interesting and challenging. but i like the theory of econ a bit more than the mathematical side. if it is necessary to do the maths at oxbridge, then that's perfectly ok for me. there isn't much choice..i can't do PPE since i don't do politics.

my parents didnt go to universities, i know this is not an excuse and i don't want to join the scheme either. also, english is my second language, this is probably why i didn't do as well in gcse. after all, i can't change my gcse grades now, i can't retake them all, what can i do to get a better chance?

emily
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (446)
59.07%
Yes- I don't like it (42)