Keiran:.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
i have been looking for a part time job scince June and i just got one at Schuh (£6.45ph) soooooooooo excited ahaa so i went in for a collgege induction today and the said that a part time job is one of the barriers to succeeding blah blah blah

So how many hours a week do you think is safe to work without my A level grades dropping??

:cool: :cool: :cool:
member332941
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It depends entirely on you how much time you need for yourself and for your studying. Don't work over 12 hours, though.
I'm in a similar position to you, though I get told when to come in work on short notice, I might work once, I might work thrice a week.
My shifts are generally 3 or 4 hours, so it's not too tiring. As for hours of study... depends on you
Junaid16
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
How did you get the job at Schuh? they never get back to me
dothestrand
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I worked 15 hours a week and was fine. It all depends how hard you're willing to work.
AntoniaRose
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I do between 8 and 16 hours a week, depending what shifts I can get my hands on. But it made no difference to my studies whatsoever. I worked every saturday, and it put no strain on me at all. Don't worry about it, you've landed yourself a pretty decent paying job!
Prince Rhyus
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Keiran:.)
i have been looking for a part time job scince June and i just got one at Schuh (£6.45ph) soooooooooo excited ahaa so i went in for a collgege induction today and the said that a part time job is one of the barriers to succeeding blah blah blah

So how many hours a week do you think is safe to work without my A level grades dropping??

:cool: :cool: :cool:
Ballpark figure...aim for a max of 10 hours per week.
Vanguard12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I disagree with what was said by your teacher. A lot of my friends had part time jobs at weekends and some during one or two nights a week as well and all of them got into their first choice uni with offers of ABB/AAB and higher. If you are good at time-management and at your subjects, don't worry. If not, then cut down your hours.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've been looking for a part time job too! congrats!

I think working on weekend are safer than that of the weekdays, about 10hours approx.
x.Charlotte
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have 2 jobs and I didn't find it got in my way. But try to stick to weekend jobs only!
chinaberry
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Do you think if I asked to work only 4 hours they'd laugh at me?

There's a job at BHS, £4ish per hour, but I only want to do it 9-1 on a Saturday, I have loads of other stuff going on!
tiny hobbit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Do you do any sports or hobbies that take up your time? If so, remember to add the time they occupy into consideration.
nerd123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by chinaberry)
Do you think if I asked to work only 4 hours they'd laugh at me?

There's a job at BHS, £4ish per hour, but I only want to do it 9-1 on a Saturday, I have loads of other stuff going on!

No they wouldn't!
My friend works in BHS and only does 4 hours on a saturday
chinaberry
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by nerd123)
No they wouldn't!
My friend works in BHS and only does 4 hours on a saturday

Thanks!
Actually I'm remaining jobless for now...BHS is a bus ride away and every saturday that adds up (£2.30 return, wouldn't have time to bike). I went round all the shops near where I live, like the greengrocers, nobody has any jobs available...oh well. I don't need the money, don't want to work particularly...
skatealexia
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I worked between 12-17 hours every weekend .
LZW1466
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I work around 22 hours a week and I'm studying 4 subjects at AS level (year 12). It is very tiring but if you have really good time management skills then it's do-able, I'm a hard-worker and I don't believe that 10 hours is all a person can do so don't stress out if you're asked to do a bit longer, just make sure you keep on top of things at school (do homework the day it's set, etc.) and you'll be fine! You'll feel like it's a much bigger achievement to get good grades and say you had a job all the way through it as well, plus you'll have money to go on holiday at the end of A Levels! Yay!
Iloveginjas
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I work 10 3/4 hours a week plus overtime if needed. I have found this is fine during normal term time and that I will pretty much do any overtime offered or asked of me. However near and during exams I only work my contract hours and its fine as it breaks up revision so it isn't passive. It hasn't affected my grades at all. My advice is work smaller hours during exams and if you do overtime like me be prepared to do a bit more work but it pays off.
Pirunthaban
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I worked 16 hours per week mostly and sometimes 8 hours for important assignments and exams... but still i was the best in the class even though my other classmates were not working
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (47)
25.41%
No (138)
74.59%

Watched Threads