Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

french verbs watch

• View Poll Results:
    0%

I have this homework for AS French to translate sentences into english and this one "That has nothing to do with the matter" I translated into french as "Celui-la a rien de faire avec la situation" but I don't think it's right. Can some body please help... its the 'a' correct?

Happy New Year

I would have said, "cela n'a rien à faire avec la situation"

don't know if that's any use to you. :confused:

thank you... but why is it "n'" as in negative... it's not like "haven't" or anything... it's not really a negative sentence. y'know?

maybe i'm just confusing myself

it is a great help - just need to explain where u get it from so i can do it in future thank you

well, its hard to explain really, but the word "rien" is negative in itself, ie "nothing". If you think of it as the opposite of "something", ie "not something"....??? Its like the French for no-one, "personne". If you were to say "there is no-one", it would be "il n'y a personne" (ie there is NOT someone)

Are you more confused now??? I wouldn't blame you because I don't think I make sense. But just believe me that you do have to negate the sentence!

ok.. i kinda understand except "nothing" is already negative so it will be double negative??

um... i'll take ur word for it thanx!

just hope the teacher doesnt ask how i did it

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.