The Student Room Group

Courses without literature

Does anyone know courses which you don't have to do a lot of literature. I don't mind if courses have some literature but I don't really want to spend the whole time reading literature.
Reply 1
Padraig
Does anyone know courses which you don't have to do a lot of literature. I don't mind if courses have some literature but I don't really want to spend the whole time reading literature.

I feel the same. The uni that I really like the look of is York. On their website, they actually say in bold "We do not teach literature." :biggrin:

Unis like Southampton (language learning) and Sussex i also dont think have much literature.
At cambridge, for most languages, you can avoid literature entirely. And I certainly intend to!
Reply 3
KCL has some great courses which allow you to skip literature - I'm not going to do any literature as such in German, apart from a course in Medieval Germany. yup.
Reply 4
i was wondering about this a while back....bleh, dont care for lit...just gimme the grammar and teach me how to speak it!
Reply 5
I applied for the course at York. They don't teach any literature but opt for linguistics instead. It looks pretty interesting but I imagine it could get pretty tedious after a while. Take a look into it though.
Reply 6
i know that cardiff do no literature!!
leeds is mainly language based
i just do not see the point of literature!
Reply 8
Nottingham's joint honours courses let you pick literature or history/culture/society, though the German department ask you to do 1 unit of literature per year.
Reply 9
Just remember though that languages at most unis aren't just about learning grammar - it's so much more. To truly understand a language, you need to understand the culture from which it came.

...but then you could still just communicate doing a purely learning grammar degree, but it'd just be so boring.
Reply 10
What's so bad about lit? :frown:
gringalet
Just remember though that languages at most unis aren't just about learning grammar - it's so much more. To truly understand a language, you need to understand the culture from which it came.

Precisely. To study a language without studying its literature would be like studying art without ever having been to a gallery.
Reply 12
Can I apply for English language in a university without literature in English? . Secondly, i failed literature in English.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending