The Student Room Group
Reply 1
You dont need Computing for any Computer Science course as far as I'm aware but a vast majority of them will require Maths A Level so I'd, personally, advise to do Computing and Further Maths along with any other subject you wish.
Reply 2
Unis like Computing, love Maths and don't really like IT.
Reply 3
Stay away from ICT. Computing is a good A'Level, not in the leagues of Maths/Chem/Eng Lit - but still a good one.
Computing at A level sucks, take something more useful like maths.
lubus
My 6th form only offers Applied ICT, and not computing. My question is, is computing more valuable if i want to take a computer science / networking course?
I know Maths is important, but does ICT/computing make any difference?

Another question, is there any programming in the computing course? (and what language)

In order of importance i'd go for

Maths

Furhter Maths

Any science

Computing

Other subjects

ICT

Basically computing isn't wanted/needed because a lot of colleges don't offer it.

Furhter Mahts is useful because you can do Decision modules which is basically computing.

And don't do ICT, it's looked down on by a load of unis.
Do Maths and Further Maths if possible. Plenty of the people on my CS degree did not take Computing at A Level and it clearly did not affect their applications. Computing A Level would most likely be preferable to ICT.
Reply 7
lubus
My 6th form only offers Applied ICT, and not computing. My question is, is computing more valuable if i want to take a computer science / networking course?
I know Maths is important, but does ICT/computing make any difference?

Another question, is there any programming in the computing course? (and what language)

Yes there is programming involved in the AQA spec which has to do with problem solving mainly. I know that you can pick Pascal and C+ as languages but ultimately its up to your school to decide which one. I think it would be better to do Computing instead of ICT because it introduces you to the whole idea.
Reply 8
Alastor
Stay away from ICT. Computing is a good A'Level, not in the leagues of Maths/Chem/Eng Lit - but still a good one.

Croos the one that does not fit!
Reply 9
Moa
Croos the one that does not fit!

I didn't do Eng Lit, but I always thought it was very respected? In the same leagues of History/Maths/Chem?
From Imperials Website

Category 1:
Compulsory A-level
Further Maths

Category 2:
Highly recommended A-levels
Maths

Category 3:
Very useful A-levels

Ancient language
Biology
Chemistry
Computing
Economics
Electronics
English Literature
History
Law
Modern language
Philosophy
Physics
Politics
Psychology

Personally though I think that computing will give you an edge up against other Comp Sci applicants as you can talk about actual programs you have written (interviews/PS).
Alastor
I didn't do Eng Lit, but I always thought it was very respected? In the same leagues of History/Maths/Chem?

English Lit is certainly well respected! I did it at A Level and I didn't do any sciences and I'm now doing CS, so go figure.
Reply 12
missionverdana
English Lit is certainly well respected! I did it at A Level and I didn't do any sciences and I'm now doing CS, so go figure.

where exactly?
Moa
where exactly?

Bristol. I also got accepted at Warwick, Cardiff and Imperial (although I missed my Further Maths grade for Imperial q: )

Latest

Trending

Trending