This discussion is closed.
Ricko
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi, i am currently doing Alevel ... i am doing Double Award Engineering so i will have 2 Alevel qualifications after that. I have always wanted to be a pilot in the RAF ... I dont know what to do though ... i have applied to Universities to study Aerospace Engineering ... the problem is im turning 20 in November and if i goto UNI i will be there 3 years before completing my degree ... by the time i have got my degree i will be 23 years old which is the max age to become a pilot.

Do you know if they will accept me? Is it after my 23rd Birthday or at the age of 23 that they will not accept me?

I would also like to apply for a scholarship or sponsorship ... please tell me how i can do this.

I would be very grateful if someone could give me some advice ... thank you.

Rick ([email protected])
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Oh look, another RAF pilot thread .

I believe that they will look at training anyone under the age of 25 who forfills their criteria but why not ring them to check?
Maskall Man
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ricko)
Hi, i am currently doing Alevel ... i am doing Double Award Engineering so i will have 2 Alevel qualifications after that. I have always wanted to be a pilot in the RAF ... I dont know what to do though ... i have applied to Universities to study Aerospace Engineering ... the problem is im turning 20 in November and if i goto UNI i will be there 3 years before completing my degree ... by the time i have got my degree i will be 23 years old which is the max age to become a pilot.

Do you know if they will accept me? Is it after my 23rd Birthday or at the age of 23 that they will not accept me?

I would also like to apply for a scholarship or sponsorship ... please tell me how i can do this.

Rick ([email protected])

Do you need an Aerospace Engineering degree to become a pilot? The armed forces are usually quite leniant on entry qualifications because they train you themselves. You should check whether or not you definitely need the degree to become a pilot with an R.A.F careers office or write to them to find out. Also, I think different units have different age ranges they accept, so you should find out what the age range is for pilots. I doubt it would be 23 but I don't know for sure. Also I hope you are 100% fit and healthy because if they pick up the slightest medical problem in the medical tests they won't let you join. And besides competition to become a pilot is immensly fierce, so you would have to give it all you got in the selection procedure. But if you are determined enough you probably will succeed. Good luck. Out.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
To become a pilot (I am talking Airlines here not RAF) you don't need any formal qualifcations. However the training costs £60,000 which is more than most can afford, this is just for the license, then without a degree you probably won't get the job. This why most people who become polits get degrees because then the airlines usualy sponsor them and pay for their flying lessons.

Its probably different in the RAF though.
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
To become a pilot (I am talking Airlines here not RAF) you don't need any formal qualifcations. However the training costs £60,000 which is more than most can afford, this is just for the license, then without a degree you probably won't get the job. This why most people who become polits get degrees because then the airlines usualy sponsor them and pay for their flying lessons.

(Original post by amazingtrade)

Best way to become a commerical pilot is to join the R.A.F. for your training, do a few years with them then leave and join the commercial sector. This way you avoid the massive cost of training that can range from 25K-60K if not alittle bit more.

Sponsorships from an airline used to be common but since September 11th many of them have stopped operating this scheme due to the hard time that the civil aviation industry is going through.
Hawk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
As far as i'm aware you do not a degree to start RAF traing to be a pilot,

I think they just want good a-level passes with preferably physics or maths
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Hawk)
As far as i'm aware you do not a degree to start RAF traing to be a pilot,

I think they just want good a-level passes with preferably physics or maths
Perhaps not even that! 2 A levels at "C" or above I believe to be a commissioned officer.
Biggles1211
Report 16 years ago
Go to your AFCO and ask about the In-Service Degree Scheme for pilots...it allows you to complete your degree (with RAF funding) through distance learning once you have completed your pilot training. Whats more, some of your RAF Officer training will count towards the University Credits needed for the degree!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
Best way to become a commerical pilot is to join the R.A.F. for your training, do a few years with them then leave and join the commercial sector. This way you avoid the massive cost of training that can range from 25K-60K if not alittle bit more.

Sponsorships from an airline used to be common but since September 11th many of them have stopped operating this scheme due to the hard time that the civil aviation industry is going through.
That's by far and away not the best way to do it. You'll be able to leave the RAF either aged 38 or around 30 if you're a graduate; by that stage you could expect to have racked up maybe 4000 hours front seat fast jet if you're lucky; which doesn't translate 1-to-1 to hours for an ATPL. You'll still have to pay for all the exams and a lot of conversions and civilian ratings to cross over completely; plus you're now competing with guys your age who have 10000 hours and a 737 type rating.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Biggles1211)
Go to your AFCO and ask about the In-Service Degree Scheme for pilots...it allows you to complete your degree (with RAF funding) through distance learning once you have completed your pilot training. Whats more, some of your RAF Officer training will count towards the University Credits needed for the degree!
I'm not a huge supporter of that... nice if you want a degree, but the main advantage of a degree in the military is the increased pay and accelerated promotion, which you don't get with an in-service degree. Plus, the benefits of uni include a bit more experience and maturity when you enter training; compare the number of ex-graduate fast jet guys going through training to the number of non-grads.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I want to fly a 747
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If you like the idea of flying a bunch of drunken lager louts around to holiday spots in the middle of the night, with virtually no hands-on, you go for your life

Personally, I think while you're young at least, military flying is the only stuff to consider. I think a lot of airline pilots shouldn't really be allowed to refer to themselves as pilots with the amount of flying they do...!
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think before you even look at training etc i'd ask yourself a question. Can you multitask? If the answer to that is no you havent got a chance of even getting past the initial tests to become a pilot.

My friends unlce earns a bomb from being a pilot. He works for some far east Sultan who gives him stuff like rolexes etc all the time. It can be a very lucrative career if you know the right people.
emmz
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
a pilot cool. can i just ask why do u wanna be 1
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emmz)
a pilot cool. can i just ask why do u wanna be 1
Because flying in the military is probably the most demanding, skillful, difficult yet downright fun jobs I can imagine.
bluel0gic
Report 16 years ago
Hi

I suggest you look at the Aviaton Courses offered by Unis like, City, Lon Met, L'Boro and Bucks.

I have applied to nearly all the ones which are offered in the UK, and have got offers from them all.

Some of them let you do a degree and a fATPL within 3 years - but you do have the pay for the ATPL yourself.

Im planning on doing one of these courses in Sept 2004, and then train to get a fATPL.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to email me.
Blamps
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Because flying in the military is probably the most demanding, skillful, difficult yet downright fun jobs I can imagine.
:rolleyes: how difficult these days is it to turn on the auto-takoff,auto-pilot,auto-emergency recovery and auto-land these days.....have they made the button a few inches closer to you?
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Blamps)
:rolleyes: how difficult these days is it to turn on the auto-takoff,auto-pilot,auto-emergency recovery and auto-land these days.....have they made the button a few inches closer to you?
No such things in any of the aircraft I've ever flown... Harrier has a rudimentary heading hold and speed hold autopilot, and an auto-rudder to help keep you from spinning when hovering, but other than that it's all the guy in the front seat...!
LPK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ricko)

Rick ([email protected])
what you do is fly a plane
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (533)
66.71%
No (266)
33.29%

Watched Threads