The Student Room Group

Is a Geography Degree right for me?

I think I've finally decided to do Geography at uni :eek:

There's one thing that's stopping me from being !!! about it though; the jobs I can get with it afterwards. In all the other threads I've seen, people have gone on about careers in finance and accounting, business shizzle, management, working for the local council.... gawwwwd the thought of any of that makes me want to cry!

I'm more interested in the human side of geography, and I'd love to travel round the world and do something that would make a different to people's lives. I'm thinking of taking a year out (dunno when) and just doing charity work abroad - not for ucas or anything, but just for me.

I want to make a difference, a proper difference, and do something really worthwhile in the future. I don't know if that's a realistic aim, but you have to shoot for the stars...

So do you think a Geography degree can open up doors for those kind of things? I'm honestly clueless; opinions would be great!

Thank you in advance :smile:

EDIT: QUESTION: I've read a few 'degree guides' recently and they all tend to say 'The type of course chosen (BA or BSc) reflects the student's options at A-level' i.e. if you do sciences, then you'll do the BSc course and vice vesa.

But erm.. I'm doing Bio, Maths and Geog which, according to that means I should be doing the BSc but I want to do the BA. If I apply for the BA course, they won't reject me/put me in the BSc course anyway, will they?
Reply 1
How about Geography with Anthropology or Sociology?

To be fair, for lots of people it's difficult to get a job at the end of their degree, regardless of their choice in subject.

Personally, I'd recommend you do something you're interested in. 3 years is a long time to be doing something you don't enjoy.
kat2pult
How about Geography with Anthropology or Sociology?

To be fair, for lots of people it's difficult to get a job at the end of their degree, regardless of their choice in subject.

Personally, I'd recommend you do something you're interested in. 3 years is a long time to be doing something you don't enjoy.

I was considering Geog with Anthro but I spoke with my careers advisor at school yesterday and she's sort of convinced me that it's better to do a straight Geog degree and then take modules from Anthropolgy.

I'm interested in the majority of stuff to do with Geography (broad term :p:) though my interests are so vast that choosing a degree has been really hard. I've thought about the Natural Sciences and Joint Hons stuff but I think I'm going to stick with Geog now. I just need reassurance that I'm not making a huge mistake :rolleyes:
Do a degree in geology, measure rocks :holmes:
Oh my Ms. Coffey
Do a degree in geology, measure rocks :holmes:

Plate tectonics :love:

But no, I prefer people. And stars.
Reply 5
I think you're doing the right thing taking geography, you're clearly passionate about people, the world etc and that's what is most important :p:
And, yeah. Taking modules of anthropology would probably be a good idea also :smile:.
Be a teacher.
JoshCurran
I think you're doing the right thing taking geography, you're clearly passionate about people, the world etc and that's what is most important :p:
And, yeah. Taking modules of anthropology would probably be a good idea also :smile:.

Thanks :o: I think I'm going to take modules in anthropology and biology.

Oh my Ms. Coffey
Be a teacher.

I'm considering it. I'm good with people, especially kids, though I think if I were to become a teacher then I'd be secondary school one. Share my knowledge and all dat.

QUESTION: I've read a few 'degree guides' recently and they all tend to say 'The type of course chosen (BA or BSc) reflects the student's options at A-level' i.e. if you do sciences, then you'll do the BSc course and vice vesa.

But erm.. I'm doing Bio, Maths and Geog which, according to that means I should be doing the BSc but I want to do the BA. If I apply for the BA course, they won't reject me/put me in the BSc course anyway, will they?
Reply 8
It varies between universities. So I'm at Bristol and we only have a BSc course. However, that doesn't mean we don't do human geography, in fact we do do human geography and you can have your entire focus on human if you want to. You'll just come out with a BSc. The thing is it doesn't really matter anyway! Your employer shouldn't care about that.

And if you decide to do a geography masters or anything like that you can still do an MA course and be in the right faculty for you. So with your A Levels they may put you on a BSc, but I would say that it won't affect the content of your degree, which will be your choice. And they may change it to a BA when they award it anyway.
katylkh
It varies between universities. So I'm at Bristol and we only have a BSc course. However, that doesn't mean we don't do human geography, in fact we do do human geography and you can have your entire focus on human if you want to. You'll just come out with a BSc. The thing is it doesn't really matter anyway! Your employer shouldn't care about that.

And if you decide to do a geography masters or anything like that you can still do an MA course and be in the right faculty for you. So with your A Levels they may put you on a BSc, but I would say that it won't affect the content of your degree, which will be your choice. And they may change it to a BA when they award it anyway.

Hmm but would they look at my A-levels and, despite me appling for the BA course (in most cases), put me on the BSc course? I don't really know how it works :o:

I visited Loughborough yesterday and their geog course is the BSc as well but they do human too. I'm looking at Bristol but they haven't taken anyone from my school for years... for anything, I don't think =\
Reply 10
Well, all I can say about Bristol is it is pretty competitive. And as far as I know they take you based on your grades and not your school. Bristol is good for geography, but I would say that!

The point I was trying to make is that even if they put you on the BSc based on your A Levels, it doesn't affect your actual degree - whether it's human or physical. And they may award your actual degree at the end of the 3 years based on your modules, so it doesn't matter where you start!
CityOfMyHeart
Hmm but would they look at my A-levels and, despite me appling for the BA course (in most cases), put me on the BSc course? I don't really know how it works :o:

I visited Loughborough yesterday and their geog course is the BSc as well but they do human too. I'm looking at Bristol but they haven't taken anyone from my school for years... for anything, I don't think =\

Departments can be quite flexible in what you are allowed to take, depending on where you go. My school subjects were mostly science, I did a BSc degree, but I am a human geographer.

A course being labelled BSc doesn't necessarily mean physical, or BA human. It's a bit more complex than that, with each department being totally different.
katylkh
Well, all I can say about Bristol is it is pretty competitive. And as far as I know they take you based on your grades and not your school. Bristol is good for geography, but I would say that!

The point I was trying to make is that even if they put you on the BSc based on your A Levels, it doesn't affect your actual degree - whether it's human or physical. And they may award your actual degree at the end of the 3 years based on your modules, so it doesn't matter where you start!

My grades are good enough for Bristol (I'm predicted A*A*A) but so have past applicants and they still got rejected :p:

I wish I had researched this a bit more but I just haven't had the chance. Thank you for your help :smile: What are you planning on doing after your degree?

TheOneWho
Departments can be quite flexible in what you are allowed to take, depending on where you go. My school subjects were mostly science, I did a BSc degree, but I am a human geographer.

A course being labelled BSc doesn't necessarily mean physical, or BA human. It's a bit more complex than that, with each department being totally different.

Oh okay awesome :smile: Just thinking up a scenario here; say you were applying to somewhere where the BSc DID mean 'physical' and the BA did mean 'human' then what do you apply for? Human right?

Gosh I'm such a numpty. :o:
CityOfMyHeart
Oh okay awesome :smile: Just thinking up a scenario here; say you were applying to somewhere where the BSc DID mean 'physical' and the BA did mean 'human' then what do you apply for? Human right?

Gosh I'm such a numpty. :o:

Erm, I'm not really sure. I only really have experience of the Scottish system which is much, much more flexible. I only know a little bit about a few English universities.

If the grade requirements are the same (both grades and subjects) then I would apply for the BA. If not, a transfer may be possible since quite a lot of places have the same first year classes.
TheOneWho
Erm, I'm not really sure. I only really have experience of the Scottish system which is much, much more flexible. I only know a little bit about a few English universities.

If the grade requirements are the same (both grades and subjects) then I would apply for the BA. If not, a transfer may be possible since quite a lot of places have the same first year classes.

Oh right cheers, that makes sense :smile:
BA is more Human Based and BSc focuses more on the physical side to geography. You can apply for either no matter your A Levels and they will accept you. I take no science related subjects except Geography and I have had offers for 4 universities for BSc Geography
11 years ago this won’t be useful to me at all
if you are considering a geography degree still. i would highly recommend. I am in my final year of uni now studying geography and natural hazard management :smile:
Original post by username244734
I think I've finally decided to do Geography at uni :eek:

There's one thing that's stopping me from being !!! about it though; the jobs I can get with it afterwards. In all the other threads I've seen, people have gone on about careers in finance and accounting, business shizzle, management, working for the local council.... gawwwwd the thought of any of that makes me want to cry!

I'm more interested in the human side of geography, and I'd love to travel round the world and do something that would make a different to people's lives. I'm thinking of taking a year out (dunno when) and just doing charity work abroad - not for ucas or anything, but just for me.

I want to make a difference, a proper difference, and do something really worthwhile in the future. I don't know if that's a realistic aim, but you have to shoot for the stars...

So do you think a Geography degree can open up doors for those kind of things? I'm honestly clueless; opinions would be great!

Thank you in advance :smile:

EDIT: QUESTION: I've read a few 'degree guides' recently and they all tend to say 'The type of course chosen (BA or BSc) reflects the student's options at A-level' i.e. if you do sciences, then you'll do the BSc course and vice vesa.

I am currently reading BSc Geography at University of Birmingham! The whole BSc/BA thing doesn't really matter too much if the uni you choose is pretty flexible with module options. I enjoy both human and physical geography so have done modules from both throughout my entire university experience. Geography is one of the most diverse disciplines so if you are unsure what you fully want to do in the future then it is perfect because it keeps so many doors 'open' and really does link to everything! Another subject could be International Relations if you are interested in the more political side of human geography. If you have any more questions about geography at university I would be more than happy to help!

Latest

Trending

Trending