The Student Room Group

Tattoos - Chavvy or classy?

Poll

Tattoos - chavvy or classy?

What do you think?
Are tattoos chavvy and trampy as hell, or are they classy?

Scroll to see replies

I've never seen a classy tattoo.

I loathe them - particularly the lack of imagination that is so commonplace. So many people go for Chinese characters that could read anything as the plebs that have them can barely speak English let along Mandarin or Cantonese... makes me laugh thinking that a tattooist could have marked them for life with something like 'fat pig' tattooed up their arm and they'd be oblivious to the insult.
They're definitely not classy (I've also yet to see a classy tattoo anyway). The majority of people I know with them are also chavs, so yeah...
I think it depends on the tattoo and the person. Some tattoos are real works of art - some are poorly-drawn cartoon devils...
Reply 4
BrushieDuck
I think it depends on the tattoo and the person. Some tattoos are real works of art - some are poorly-drawn cartoon devils...

This, though most tattoos are not classy that's not to say there aren't any classy ones
They're not necessarily chavvy if they're done tastefully, but I don't think it's possible for a tatto to actively be classy. A classy look is almost always clean, simple and understated, something that tattoos simply cannot be.
Reply 6
They aren't classy, they are either okay or a bit chav-tastic. I'm at odds with myself though because a little part of me would still like one :frown:
Yeaah, bit trampy most of the time. I will definitely never be getting one.
The only one I've seen that hasn't made me want to vom is one of my friend's who had his dad's initials tattooed over his heart after his dad died of cancer. That was something very personal, discreet and understated - something most tattoos are not.
I have seen a few that are ok (still not classy, but you can appreciate the artistic detail, and they look good on the person who has them) but I voted chavvy because the vast majority of them are. Especially those ones that people sort of get on impulse when they're 18 and haven't put any thought into
Reply 10
They tend to be either completely chavvy, or if done well (like Miami Ink), not very chavvy, but still a little bit.
Reply 11
I wouldn't say they are classy but I wouldn't say all of them look chavvy either. I definitely don't like it when you see 40 year old women with Tinkerbell or Winnie-the-Pooh on their arms! I think tattoos look much nicer when they are original and actually mean something to the person who has them.
Mainly chavvy. There are some that aren't really chavvy, but I certainly wouldn't call them classy.
Reply 13
Mr Sparkles
What do you think?
Are tattoos chavvy and trampy as hell, or are they classy?

Most of the time, chavvy. At best, they can look okay. I guess on some people, they're alright. Would never have one myself though.
tatoos look awsome :biggrin:
black&grey are the best ones in my opinion :sexface: some colour can be nice though
i think tatoo designs only become tacky when they are over-used so much eg mermaid,fairy,butterfly,stars etc etc because they have no meaning just ohh it looks nice :indiff: and if you are going to get a tattoo is should be something that you want and has a special meaning
Reply 15
Some tattoos are actual impressive works of art, designed and done by tattoo artists and cost loads.

Your average £50 tattoo... no.
Reply 16
They can look good on guys, wouldn't go as far as classy though.
I wouldn't say they always look chavvy on girls... (eg cheryl cole, rihanna), but they defiantly don't make anyone look classy..
It depends doesn't it. I wouldn't say a Punk walking down the street with a Dropkick Murphey's logo tattooed on them looks chavvy.
BrushieDuck

:yep:
Angelina Jolie has tattoos and I'd hardly class her as a chav.
ColdWishes

Angelina Jolie has tattoos and I'd hardly class her as a chav.

But would you call her classy? I think the jury is still out on that one.

Quick Reply

Latest