(Original post by sarsi)
maybe your uni room is too small or your bed might be uncomfortable. :dontknow:
ive been the same over summer though and im back at home with a comfy bed
The Procrastinator
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Bit weird, but have you tried cutting you sleeping time? I love sleep but the more I have the more miserable I get but If I have 6 or 7 hours I feel strangley happy!! Give it a go if you haven't already.
sarsi
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
um, I don't know sorry :P, could be many things that influence it
Cloven Angel
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
turning into a vampire
pappu
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
5htp. Google.
Arekkusu
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm the very same and have been throughout my teenage years.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Perhaps you should change your sleep routine first and see if that helps. You should go to bed no later than 11pm and get up between 7am-8am. Sleeping in can leave us feeling lethargic for most of the day. Is your room light when youre waking up? If not, open your curtains a little before you go to sleep, and the extra light should help you to wake up a ltitle bit?

What do you have for breakfast? Try having pure orange juice with some kind of oaty cereal. This should help boost your energy levels.
emmabubby
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
you know being a lark/owl (morning person or evening person) is genetic and scientifically proven? look it up. basically all your internal 'bodyclocks' run to a certain time, ie for you to be alert in the evening, so your temperature cycles/biological rhythms are working to this timeframe. it may be something to do with that?
Have you been to the doctors? they might have some insight as to whether its something medical, might be worth a try, something along the lines of seasonal affective disorder, though this is different as its seasonal(obviously), but it may be similar, caused by melatonin etc. we did all this is alevel psych in biorhythms, so i am guessing really as to whether its anything to do with this, but your doctor may give you more of an insight if you're thinking this is actually a serious thing
if not, at least you can roll with the owl lifestyle uni for a little longer
emmabubby
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lewk)
find it difficult to sit in lectures and listen to anything, if not falling asleep, so as a result failed first year, don't want anything like that happening again,
just read this bit. maybe rolling with it was not the most sensible idea, ahah
rylit91
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm exactly the same. I perk up in the evenings and it's ruined my life. I've been taking Nytol almost every night since last October and drinking strong expressos in the morning. I can't help but feel that if I had been 'normal' I'd have succeeded far more in my life by this stage...
chinaberry
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The more you sleep, the more tired you get. 8 hours is about right. 11+ isn't good or helpful. Have you tried getting up earlier? Your REM sleep could be messed up. Are you taking painkillers regularly? You could be stuck in a rebound cycle and your feeling bad could have nothing to do with daytime.
chinaberry
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lewk)
Hmm i'll give it a try

Nope i don't take painkillers very often, do you know how i might go about fixing my REM sleep? (i usually find advice from TSR is much more helpful than the average GP )

thanks for replies everyone

I'm not sure...sorry! I know that if you get up early 6 days of the week and then sleep in on the 7th it's easy to get a headache when you get up. Sorry you're feeling bad though. It's 7:45, X factor time, you must be feeling better now!
Mr Paradox
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lewk)
are they available over the counter in the UK, or do i need a prescription
5-HTP is available OTC. Also have a look at getting more fat in your early morning diet, eat some eggs/oily fish
Anonymous #1
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lewk)
I'm 19 (if that helps) and about to go back to uni, but through the whole summer and through the majority of my first year, i just felt really depressed, tired, unmotivated and lethargic on most mornings & days, with only a few exceptions. It's about 6pm where usually start feeling better and start to 'wake up' despite waking up at 10-11am. I always wake up feeling awful, very rarely do i wake up feeling refreshed even though i get on average 9 hours sleep per night. But I still get tired again at around 12am giving me only a small space of the day where i can be productive and friendly.

When i was at uni i thought it could be my diet or lack of exercise, or just generally student life.. but ive found that isn't the case, my diet is absolutely fine now, and i excercise every day, when i go for a walk i come back feeling even worse, hot and bothered.

Anyway when im in this horrible depressed mood i find it difficult to sit in lectures and listen to anything, if not falling asleep, so as a result failed first year, don't want anything like that happening again,

Anyone been in a similar position and found a cure for it?

edit: also i should add that i dont get hungry until about 6 in the evening too, usually i just force feed myself breakfast and lunch because im trying to gain weight at the moment, sometimes the food can repulse me too much though so have to leave it to the evening, and get that horrible empty stomach feeling!

You should force yourself to have breakfast every morning no matter how sick it might make you feel or it will only get worse, a proper eating pattern will help. Drink coffee in the morning maybe? More importantly you should have some blood tests for iron deficiency, and over/under active thyroid. Also you could have chronic fatigue syndrome. If it has happened for over a year you should definitely go to a doctor and ask for tests.
Klaus88
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have done the whole Uni thing and come out the other side. I had symptoms much like yours..

I think the best four things for you to do are:

1. Stop sleeping so long.. don't care what anyone says, nobody needs 9 hours sleep unless they are extreemly old and/or ill. (Don't doze either, just get up when your alarm goes off or when you wake up)
2. Do plenty of proper exercise (Don't walk: RUN!) - I know if your feeling lathargic it is hard to start exercising (believe me I've been there) but once you get into it, you will find it actually gives you more energy.
3. It is easy to get yourself worked up about these symptoms and this will make things worse.. At uni you have lots of time to think, and this is bad! the longer you dewl on and focus on these symptoms, the worse you will feel about them. You need to focus on other things, get a hobby, play some competitive sport to take your mind off things. Don't play video games, cos you can easily sit there and think too much
4. sounds like your bored of your course. This happened to me and I couldn't concentrate (falling alseep in lectures) because I simply wasn't interested! Think about what YOU really want to do and DO IT!

One last thing: Uni is the best time of your life! Please enjoy it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (193)
14.31%
I'm not sure (60)
4.45%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (393)
29.13%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.74%
I'm not a current university student (666)
49.37%

Watched Threads