This discussion is closed.
TK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Southampton - anyone there?- what's it like?
Musicwoman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
Southampton - anyone there?- what's it like?
uni or city?

Modern sprawling campus, with attractive landscaping between the buildings. Excellent reputation in many departments. I go to geography lectures there sometimes.

Other buildings and accommodation around the city.

Shopping fabbo; nightlife OK. It's 'nice' city - but don't live anywhere near St. Mary's area (near the football ground) I dont even feel safe driving my car there. Pompey supporters from down the coast will call you a Scummer! LOL
Peapod
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have applied there for Psychology on the basis that when we've driven through to the IW it always looked very nice, I like the sea, and I was surprised just how well it was doing in the league tables!
I've not heard from them yet though.
James_W
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Got an offer for Management Sciences there, so will go to their open day in Feb!
James_W
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ah sod that, I'm sure I'll find a Maccy D's closeby
gemma1811
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by James_W)
Got an offer for Management Sciences there, so will go to their open day in Feb!
Hey! I got an offer for accounting and finance - you going to the open day on the 4th?
gemma1811
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hi Pencil Queen. What did you study for your degree at Southampton? I've been offered a place to read accounting and finance? Do you know much about the degree or department there? Is it really worth the AAB(b) that they ask for?
James_W
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by gemma1811)
Hey! I got an offer for accounting and finance - you going to the open day on the 4th?
Not sure.. going on the Saturday though, whenever that is.
James_W
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Bah, lost all the stuff they sent me through so I'm not sure of the date atm.. they should send me through a confirmation letter soon hopefully.
James_W
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeh, because I seem to remember I picked the Saturday date deliberately as it was the only one.. the others were Wednesdays.
James_W
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Pencil Queen - reckon you could get me some statistics.. like the ratio of applicantslaces.. how many applied this year, how many have been rejected etc...? I'm just interested seeing as they lowered their offer from AABb to AABc for me - wondering if this is good news for me?
James_W
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Sounds great!

I've been looking at their Management sSchool alot tonight seeing as Warwick gave me a big fat rejection today.. I'm really impressed so far, think Southampton could be the place!
gemma1811
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by James_W)
Bah, lost all the stuff they sent me through so I'm not sure of the date atm.. they should send me through a confirmation letter soon hopefully.
I got my confirmation and bus tickets from them last week
gemma1811
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
I studied geology.

However I do know a little about the School of management - they were recently placed in the top 30 management schools in Europe.

And the accounting & finance graduates have an excellent employment record - of 25 students who graduated (and answered the survey) 20 were in graduate/trainee accounting/actuary positions, 3 were in other management positions (one was an events manager which sounds fun), 1 was on an MSc and 1 was travelling.

(sorry if this sounds a bit like an advert - I don't know much about the actual course apart from how it shows up in my stats although I know a couple of people who've recently done part time MBAs with the school and have only good things to say about the quality of the teaching/course).
Thanks thats really helpful! Can you post then statistics as i'll be really interested to know them about Southampton
TK
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I lived in St Marys for a year - it's nowhere near as bad as people say.

But most private student accomodation is in Portswood (or for the Institute the Polygon/Shirley)

Hi Tiny what exactly are you looking to know I spent 2 years living in southampton and 3 yrs at the uni (I commuted in for my final yr from Bournemouth) and I've been working for the uni for 2 years now...
hi - i was wondering about the uni. Thnaks for all the info

love katie
xxx
Sazzle
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I lived in Southampton for 14 years andreally liked it - I nearly decided to go back for uni.
James_W
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well considering they've rejected that many - I am quite chuffed they lowered their offer for me. Big up their socks!
James_W
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
BTW.. thanks for taking the time to sort that out for me, muchos appreciated!
gemma1811
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
OK and current stats

For Accounting and Finance we've recieved 466 applications, 123 have been rejected, 214 have had offers made and 129 are awaiting a decision.

For Management Science (and management) we've recieved 554 applications, 156 have been rejected, 289 have had offers and 109 are awaiting a decision.

Management have had about the same number of applications as last year (dropped by 0.6%).
Thanks for that!!!! Its really useful!!! I'm rather surprised that i've been offered a place!!!! Quite pleased actually!
James_W
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Whats the actual difference between the Management and Management Sciences degrees/
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (216)
67.92%
No (102)
32.08%

Watched Threads