?
Report 15 years ago
Bah, Southampton haven't sent me a confirmation of the Open Day yet
James_W
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Thanks, I'll give them until Early February - because they got alot on their hands in terms of Open Days at the moment I think.
emzie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
dont worry i never got conformation of the open day, sent off the thing on time and everything. i dont think they always send conformations out.
gemma1811
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by emzie)
dont worry i never got conformation of the open day, sent off the thing on time and everything. i dont think they always send conformations out.
I think you find they do, well at least the business school, as they provide you with free bus tickets
Peapod
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Do you know about Psychology applications?
gemma1811
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Pencil Queen, what are the chances of Southampton accepting me if i dropped a grade, i.e. only got ABB instead of AAB?
Peapod
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Yup
Southamptons applications/place ratio for 2002 entry (most recent stats I'm afraid we'll have 2003 entry stats in February sometime) was 8.125 (962 applications for 118 accepted students).
Thank you!
OO that's a lot of people!
gemma1811
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I couldn't honestly say - it's something that the admissions tutor would decide and would depend not just on your application but on how well all our other applicants do (ie if everyone drops a grade we *have* to take some people with lower grades to make up the numbers...but if everyone else meets their offer then it's unlikely we'd take someone who didn't).

However in all cases it's possible to get a good idea by looking at the A level average for your subject in the times' league table. If the uni's average is around 27/28 (AAB) then they will be more reluctant to accept someone who's dropped a grade than a university with a 25/26 (ABB) point average. (Southampton's average for business was 24.3 but it's worth bearing in mind that there is a drive across the entire uni to push up A level averages)
Yeah the typical offer when i applied was ABB but it went up to AAB(b), which is higher than my friend had to get last summer to read law there, n he got in. I was surprised that it went up so much actually, it is higher than i would have had to get if i applied to do Economics and Management at Oxford - but i didnt want to do that!

Do you know if many people dropped their grades last year and got in?
James_W
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
They already lowered their offer from AABb to AABc for me - no idea why TBH.
gemma1811
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by James_W)
They already lowered their offer from AABb to AABc for me - no idea why TBH.
Yeah that's cool thou! So were the typical grades when you applied AABb for your course then, of did it go up afterwards?
James_W
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
ABBb -> AABb
gemma1811
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by James_W)
ABBb -> AABb
Yeah thats the same! They can be so gay! sometimes! Although im not sure about Southampton, i think the open day will make my mind up, as there are other factors i need to consider
Lbar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I've applied there for software engineering. computing reputation seems to be good. Interesting to see what people think as I've never been there... :confused:
Peapod
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
How respected is southampton in terms of employers and in general in comparison with places like Notts, Durham, Leicester.
Peapod
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
According to the Telegraph's Table of Tables (the only league table including a emplyer opinion rank) it's 19th in the country, compared to Nott at 7th, Durham at 15th and Leicester at 32nd.
(the universities around us are 16th Newcastle, 17th Strathclyde, 18th Heriott-watt, 20th Aston, 21st UCL, 22nd Cardiff and 23rd LSE)

(you can see for yourself on the telegraph website - the article is "Who really is top of the league?" and it was published on 25/06/2003 - but you have to register to view it so I can't link direct, however it's free to register and I've not recieved any junk since signing up)
Thanks, you are ever so helpful!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads