The Student Room Group
Reply 1
How would that work, i always thought you made the applications all at once
i think she means that all the oxbridge people will apply in the next few weeks and if you send off your application now, the uni's might think you've applied to oxbridge.
Reply 3
beth_geog
I've heard that some uni's don't like you as much if you are applying to oxbridge so is it better wait until after oct 15th to send it if you arnt applying there or does it not really matter? :confused:

While I've never actually heard of a case where this happened, it is kind of assumed that some universities decide not to make offers to candidates whom they think will reject them in favour of Oxbridge. And some schools try to deal with their Oxbridge/Medicine applicants first, and only look at other people after the October deadline: my head of sixth form, for example, won't write non-Oxbridge/med references until she's done all the Oxbridge/med ones. And I don't think delaying your application until just after that deadline will have any negative impact on it, so you might be better off doing that - that's my plan.
I'm not applying to Oxbridge and my forms gone off...I've been told they should just be send ASAP and irrespective of where you want to go...
I've just sent mine to my referree. I can't be bothered to wait till the post-Oxbridge/medicine time - i'm too impatient!
My college deals with oxbridge/medicine etc applicants first. We've got a tutor group for high flying students and they're next. Then everyone else, but I don't think that it matters this year because i everyone will be applying online.
Reply 7
yer our teachers have done most oxbridge and medicine people already so i could send it off if i wanted. I may just do it now cus im impatient too! Hmm shall ask teachers what they think
Reply 8
do you have an advantage if you send as soon as possible though (non med/ox ones?) or do they wait til the january deadline to view them all at once?

because id rather wait as long as possible so i can get extra work experience in chosen course but then i dont want them to give out all the offers then get mine in say december and be like blah chuck it to late no offers left
Reply 9
some uni's do admit to making offers before they have them all and a speaker at our school from a uni said sometime at the beggining of the application time the admissions tutors arent as fed up with personal statmets so they are in better moods lol! but i don't think thats really a major thing
Reply 10
I've always been told that it's best to get it in as early as you can, as there's always a sudden flood of applications right before the deadline, so admissions tutors tend to put more time and thought into looking at the earlier ones. And last year I got offers well before the January deadline, but I doubt they'd award all the places on a course before all the applications were in - maybe they just really liked me.
Fidge, can't you just say that you are doing/will be doing work experience?
Reply 11
Offers are made the whole way through so yes you are at a disadvantage if you delay
But yes both Bristol and Durham have reputations for rejecting people who apply on or around the October 15th deadline.
So as weird as it sounds I'd say if you don't have it posted by October 7th, delay for a week and post it after the Oxbridge deadline
hey, I was just going to post this question! but no-body seems to have said a good time to send it though, what I mean by that is it better to send as soon as you can, just after oct 15th or some time after that?
Reply 13
well if your predicted grades arent at least AAB then you might aswell apply before 15th october.
Reply 14
my predicted grades are AAA hmmm

Latest

Trending

Trending