The Student Room Group

The "Are my grades good enough for Maths..." Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Jarred
I got AAAA at AS-Level, so its safe to say my grades are good enough, I've just gotta make sure that I can maintain that. But what I want to ask here, is whether my module grades are good enough for the top universities.
I did maths and further maths. Here are my module results:
MPC1 - 81/100 ; MPC2 - 100/100 ; MS01 - 74/100
MFP1 - 77/100 ; MD01 - 91/100 ; MD02 - 76/100
I averaged an A in both qualifications, but half of my modules were Bs. Do I stand a good chance of getting into a highly ranked university for maths? Eg: Oxbridge, Warwick, any in the Russell Group etc? Or will they look down upon me for the Bs?
Thanks.

Just like to say Well Done for those results! :smile: Can't give you any advice though as I have no clue! :colondollar:
All the best!
Reply 381
Original post by ms93
Just like to say Well Done for those results! :smile: Can't give you any advice though as I have no clue! :colondollar:
All the best!

Reply 382
Original post by Jarred
I got AAAA at AS-Level, so its safe to say my grades are good enough, I've just gotta make sure that I can maintain that. But what I want to ask here, is whether my module grades are good enough for the top universities.
I averaged an A in both qualifications, but half of my modules were Bs. Do I stand a good chance of getting into a highly ranked university for maths? Eg: Oxbridge, Warwick, any in the Russell Group etc? Or will they look down upon me for the Bs?
Thanks.

Probably not worth trying for Cambridge purely because of the module scores. They look for modules in the 'high 90s' and really you've only got one of those. You don't have to declare your individual modules in any situation, if you don't want to, so universities don't need to find out about the module scores; however UCL and Durham would ask for them separately.
Reply 383

Original post by ms93
B in French AS and B in RS A2, really disappointed :frown: Which is why I have decided to forget Oxford too. What would my chances at the likes of UCL, Kings, Nottingham and Birmingham be?

Fair enough.

UCL: They'll want to see your module marks for maths. The 100% in C1 will impress them and C2/S1 look ok so hopefully they should be able to determine that you're capable of meeting the offer. You'll need to make sure you have a good personal statement etc as there is competition for places. http://www.ucl.ac.uk/math/undergraduates/prospective_undergrad/admission_req.htm

KCL: They want AAA so you should be capable of that. http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/entryrequirements/name/mathematics/alpha/MNO/header_search/

Nottingham: They want AAA/AAB so that'll be even easier. http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/mathematics/prospective/undergraduate/courses/g100-g103.aspx

Birmingham: Similar to above. http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/students/courses/undergraduate/maths/mathematics.aspx

Basically, with your predicted grades and the fact that you'll be doing further maths, you should be able to get offers for at least most of these places as long as your application is generally good.
Reply 384
Original post by Jarred

Original post by Jarred
Thanks.

Warwick have a policy of giving out a standard offer to most applicants with sufficient predicted grades, so you'll be fine there. As for other universities, I think Noble sums it up pretty well.
Reply 385
Original post by Noble.
Probably not worth trying for Cambridge purely because of the module scores. They look for modules in the 'high 90s' and really you've only got one of those. You don't have to declare your individual modules in any situation, if you don't want to, so universities don't need to find out about the module scores; however UCL and Durham would ask for them separately.

Ok thanks. So would Oxford be more lenient on the module scores? I was drawn to Cambridge out of the two because Oxford ask for an A* in further maths and that won't be easy. But I guess the fact Cambrdige requires STEP means that the difficulty of getting into both is roughly equal, and if Oxford are more accepting of my module scores I'd be happy to enter there, as an instituion I've always prefered it.Though from what I hear Oxford are more critical of GCSEs. I didn't do any language so will that count against me?
As for declaring the modules, would it count against me if I choose not to declare them on my UCAS form? Would any university assume I have something to hide?

Original post by ttoby
Warwick have a policy of giving out a standard offer to most applicants with sufficient predicted grades, so you'll be fine there. As for other universities, I think Noble sums it up pretty well.

Ok that's good to hear. I've heard from people Warwick is harder to get into than Oxbridge, I've never believed that and if they make standard offers then that can't be true. But I guess the fact that you have to take STEP is what makes it challenging to get in there.
Reply 386
Original post by Jarred
Ok thanks. So would Oxford be more lenient on the module scores? I was drawn to Cambridge out of the two because Oxford ask for an A* in further maths and that won't be easy. But I guess the fact Cambrdige requires STEP means that the difficulty of getting into both is roughly equal, and if Oxford are more accepting of my module scores I'd be happy to enter there, as an instituion I've always prefered it.Though from what I hear Oxford are more critical of GCSEs. I didn't do any language so will that count against me?
As for declaring the modules, would it count against me if I choose not to declare them on my UCAS form? Would any university assume I have something to hide?

Historically it was harder to get an offer from Oxford, but harder to make the Cambridge offer. Previously, Oxford only asked for AAA, so practically anyone who got an offer got in, whereas a good chunk of Cambridge offer holders get rejected, however, with the new A-Level requirement from Oxford, this may change slightly. Oxford really don't care about GCSEs for Maths, as they have the MAT and rely on it quite heavily, my GCSEs are far below what most applicants will have for Oxford, although I did go to a pretty terrible secondary school and they do take it into account. I don't know whether universities read into whether people decide to declare modules or not, but a general rule of thumb is to not declare them if there's remotely any reason they'd put you at a disadvantage and with Bs it's possible they won't be too confident in your A/A* predictions, as generally if someone has half their AS levels at B-grade, you'd expect at least half of their A2 modules to be at a B as well (due to the increased difficulty).
Reply 387
Original post by ttoby
Fair enough.

UCL: They'll want to see your module marks for maths. The 100% in C1 will impress them and C2/S1 look ok so hopefully they should be able to determine that you're capable of meeting the offer. You'll need to make sure you have a good personal statement etc as there is competition for places. http://www.ucl.ac.uk/math/undergraduates/prospective_undergrad/admission_req.htm

KCL: They want AAA so you should be capable of that. http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/entryrequirements/name/mathematics/alpha/MNO/header_search/

Nottingham: They want AAA/AAB so that'll be even easier. http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/mathematics/prospective/undergraduate/courses/g100-g103.aspx

Birmingham: Similar to above. http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/students/courses/undergraduate/maths/mathematics.aspx

Basically, with your predicted grades and the fact that you'll be doing further maths, you should be able to get offers for at least most of these places as long as your application is generally good.

Okay, Thank you so much for the help! :smile:
Reply 388
Original post by Jarred

Original post by Jarred

Ok that's good to hear. I've heard from people Warwick is harder to get into than Oxbridge, I've never believed that and if they make standard offers then that can't be true. But I guess the fact that you have to take STEP is what makes it challenging to get in there.

Yeah, STEP is the main thing that makes Warwick's offer hard. Although, Cambridge would ask for higher STEP grades (and require two papers) than Warwick so I would still say that Cambridge is harder to get into. As for Oxford, it's hard to compare it in terms of competition to Warwick.
Reply 389
Original post by Noble.
Historically it was harder to get an offer from Oxford, but harder to make the Cambridge offer. Previously, Oxford only asked for AAA, so practically anyone who got an offer got in, whereas a good chunk of Cambridge offer holders get rejected, however, with the new A-Level requirement from Oxford, this may change slightly. Oxford really don't care about GCSEs for Maths, as they have the MAT and rely on it quite heavily, my GCSEs are far below what most applicants will have for Oxford, although I did go to a pretty terrible secondary school and they do take it into account. I don't know whether universities read into whether people decide to declare modules or not, but a general rule of thumb is to not declare them if there's remotely any reason they'd put you at a disadvantage and with Bs it's possible they won't be too confident in your A/A* predictions, as generally if someone has half their AS levels at B-grade, you'd expect at least half of their A2 modules to be at a B as well (due to the increased difficulty).

Original post by ttoby
Yeah, STEP is the main thing that makes Warwick's offer hard. Although, Cambridge would ask for higher STEP grades (and require two papers) than Warwick so I would still say that Cambridge is harder to get into. As for Oxford, it's hard to compare it in terms of competition to Warwick.

Ok thanks for the help guys.
I think I'll likely apply to Warwick. As for whether I try Oxbridge, I'll have to give it some further thought. I'll take what you both said into account.
GCSE 8A* 5A 1C
AS:
A Core 1 85/100
A Core 2 85/100
A Statistics 83/100
MATHS A

B Electrons, Photons and waves 116/150
Practical B 42/60
Machanics B 71/90
PHYSICS B

A Decision 85/100
B Mechanics 75/100
C FP1 60/100
FURTHER MATHS B

B PSY1 78/100
A PSY 2 93/100 (self-taught)
PSYCHOLOGY A

I'm not sure what i'll be predicted but i intend to drop Physics so i would hope my lowest predicted would be AAB and higest maybe A*A*B or A*AB

Wanting to study Mathematics and Philosophy

Universities considering:
York AAB
Nottingham AAA-AAB
Warwick A*AA
St Andrews AAA
Lancaster AAB
KCL A*AA-AAA
MAYBE
Aberdeen BBB
Bristol A*AA-AAA
Birmingham ABB
Reply 391
Original post by cocopops93

GCSE 8A* 5A 1C
AS:
A Core 1 85/100
A Core 2 85/100
A Statistics 83/100
MATHS A

Practical B 42/60
Machanics B 71/90
PHYSICS B

A Decision 85/100
B Mechanics 75/100
C FP1 60/100
FURTHER MATHS B

B PSY1 78/100
PSYCHOLOGY A

I'm not sure what i'll be predicted but i intend to drop Physics so i would hope my lowest predicted would be AAB and higest maybe A*A*B or A*AB

York AAB
Nottingham AAA-AAB
Warwick A*AA
St Andrews AAA
Lancaster AAB
KCL A*AA-AAA
MAYBE
Aberdeen BBB
Bristol A*AA-AAA
Birmingham ABB

York: I can't see maths/philosophy listed there but for straight maths you should be fine since your AS grades show you're likely to meet the offer. http://maths.york.ac.uk/www/AdmitOffers

Nottingham: They may want to make you an AAA offer so consider raising the grades you're getting in further maths. Perhaps resit FP1 and M1. http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/mathematics/prospective/undergraduate/courses/gv15.aspx

Warwick: If you can get further maths to be predicted at least an A then you'll get an offer. However, I think you would struggle to meet it, since they would want improvement in further maths, as well as raising your marks in C3/C4 to get the A*, as well as passing a STEP paper. Note that STEP papers are very difficult in terms of the maths they cover. So bear all that in mind if you want to apply. http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/admissions/ug/offer Also note that according to http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/philosophy/undergraduate/degrees/philmaths/ then maths&philosophy will have the same requirements as for maths.

St Andrews: Make sure you're predicted at least an A in further maths, and that you are able to work harder to actually achieve that A. http://www-maths.mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk/~geb/applicants/asking.html

Lancaster: For maths&philosophy they want ABB so you'll be absolutely fine. http://www.lancs.ac.uk/coursesearch/course.php?course_id=000848&entry_session_id=000111

KCL: For maths&philosophy they want AAA so, again, you'll need to raise your standard in further maths. http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/entryrequirements/name/mathematics-and-philosophy/alpha/M/header_search/

Aberdeen: You'll be fine. http://www.abdn.ac.uk/prospectus/ugrad/study/subject.php?code=mathematics&prog=arts

Bristol: Since you're doing further maths, they'll want AAA so you'll need to raise up further maths. I can't see anything about doing maths and philosophy. http://www.maths.bris.ac.uk/study/admissions_undergrad/statement/

Birmingham: For maths&philosophy, they want AAB-BBB so you'll probably be fine. http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/students/courses/undergraduate/maths/maths-arts.aspx

So in general, it looks like for the higher universities you'll want to concentrate on raising your standard in further maths.
GCSE 8A* 5A 1C
AS:
A Core 1 85/100
A Core 2 85/100
A Statistics 83/100
MATHS A

Practical B 42/60
Machanics B 71/90
PHYSICS B

A Decision 85/100
B Mechanics 75/100
C FP1 60/100
FURTHER MATHS B

B PSY1 78/100
PSYCHOLOGY A

York AAB
Nottingham AAA-AAB
Warwick A*AA
St Andrews AAA
Lancaster AAB
KCL A*AA-AAA
MAYBE
Aberdeen BBB
Bristol A*AA-AAA
Birmingham ABB

On the note of Nottingham I applied for G103 - MMath in Maths and got an offer of ABB/AAC BUT be warned that that was probably because I completely selfstudied further maths so I would expect nothing lower than AAB in reality. I would also definitely put quite a bit more effort into your A levels this year. The grades that the unis you're looking at are very possible but just because they are doesn't mean you'll get an offer. I reckon with a kickass PS most of those unis will give you an offer just make sure you work hard enough for the grades.

Keep an eye on typical offer reqs because they may update them in the next month.
Reply 393
Hmmm Kings or Nottingham for Maths? Which one would you say is better? :smile:
I want to study Mathematics at university, I got aabb for my as grades. Here are the module results

Maths and further maths: AA
C1 - 100 A
C2 - 92 A
S1 - 96 A
M1 - 87 A
S2 - 72 ( resitting) B
Fp1 - 88 A

Chemistry - B
Unit one - 90 /100 A
Unit two - 99/120 B ( resitting)

Economics B (dropping)

What do you thhink my predicted grades would be? Because I'm confused about which entry require I would/ wouldn't meet.

I'm think of these universities: Warwick, durham, nottingham, kings college and queen mary

Any opinions? Could I aim higher?
Reply 395
Original post by Banana's Girl
I want to study Mathematics at university, I got aabb for my as grades. Here are the module results

C1 - 100 A
C2 - 92 A
S1 - 96 A
M1 - 87 A
S2 - 72 ( resitting) B
Fp1 - 88 A

Chemistry - B
Unit one - 90 /100 A

Economics B (dropping)

What do you thhink my predicted grades would be? Because I'm confused about which entry require I would/ wouldn't meet.

I'm think of these universities: Warwick, durham, nottingham, kings college and queen mary

i dont no ur gcsez but you could still have a chance of oxbridge in my opinion :biggrin:
Reply 396

C1 - 100 A
C2 - 92 A
S1 - 96 A
M1 - 87 A
S2 - 72 ( resitting) B
Fp1 - 88 A

Chemistry - B
Unit one - 90 /100 A

Economics B (dropping)

Predicted grades: For maths, it would most likely be A*. For further maths, it's not so clear cut since there are some modules you didn't do so well on. However you do have several marks close to 90% so you'll probably also have another A* there, or maybe an A. In chemistry unit 2, 99/120 is 82.5% (A) by my calculations. So I'm not sure what's happening there. In any case, you'll probably get either B or A, depending on your actual UMS marks and maybe also on classwork/homework marks.

I haven't got time tonight to go through the requirements of all of those universities. Look on their websites for their typical offers. As for 'aiming higher', I presume you're thinking of Cambridge. You could consider it, but the problem is that even if you are predicted an A in chemistry, they would see the UMS marks and getting a b at AS would look quite bad. So I think you would struggle to get an offer.
Original post by ttoby
Predicted grades: For maths, it would most likely be A*. For further maths, it's not so clear cut since there are some modules you didn't do so well on. However you do have several marks close to 90% so you'll probably also have another A* there, or maybe an A. In chemistry unit 2, 99/120 is 82.5% (A) by my calculations. So I'm not sure what's happening there. In any case, you'll probably get either B or A, depending on your actual UMS marks and maybe also on classwork/homework marks.

I haven't got time tonight to go through the requirements of all of those universities. Look on their websites for their typical offers. As for 'aiming higher', I presume you're thinking of Cambridge. You could consider it, but the problem is that even if you are predicted an A in chemistry, they would see the UMS marks and getting a b at AS would look quite bad. So I think you would struggle to get an offer.

Thanks :smile: sorry the chemistry was out of 140 so that's 70 %
I was thinking more oxford, but their entry requitements are A*A* A and they don't look so hard on ums
Reply 398

Thanks :smile: sorry the chemistry was out of 140 so that's 70 %
I was thinking more oxford, but their entry requitements are A*A* A and they don't look so hard on ums

In that case, your total chemistry marks for AS would be 189/240 which is 78.75%. This is quite a high B so there's a good chance you'll be predicted an A at A2.

You could consider Oxford but, again, your AS chemistry grade could hold you back a bit.
Reply 399
My AS grades are:
Maths - A, C1-100, C2-85, S1-80
Economics - A
Accounting - A
Business - E
General Studies - E

Taking up further maths AS in second year.

I know i'm not gonna get into oxford or cambridge or any of the best ones but I was just wondering what the best universities are I could get into to do Maths with these grades.

Cheers

Quick Reply

Latest