The Student Room Group

The "Are my grades good enough for Maths..." Thread

Scroll to see replies

Guys,

Finished my AS levels a month or so ago but I have seen the model answers for my maths and further maths exams and so have approximated my UMS average:

Maths - 93 (C1, C2, S1)
Further Maths - 94 (FP1, M1, M2)

I'm also reasonably confident of As in my other two subjects (Physics and economics). I'm expecting AAAA, and at worst AAAB/AABB. I'll probably get an A*A*A prediction or A*A*A* if physics went well. (unlikely though)

My GCSEs are quite average however 4A*s, 7As, 1B.

What do you guys reckon my chances are at the following unis?

Warwick
Imperial (I know this is very much dependent on performance on the MAT)
UCL

I'm particularly interested about Warwick - I hear they give practically everyone with A*A*A predictions an AEA offer?! Is this true?

How also are my chances with UCL? (with quite an average personal statement)

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheRandomGenius
Guys,

Finished my AS levels a month or so ago but I have seen the model answers for my maths and further maths exams and so have approximated my UMS average:

Maths - 93 (C1, C2, S1)
Further Maths - 94 (FP1, M1, M2)

I'm also reasonably confident of As in my other two subjects (Physics and economics). I'm expecting AAAA, and at worst AAAB/AABB. I'll probably get an A*A*A prediction or A*A*A* if physics went well. (unlikely though)

My GCSEs are quite average however 4A*s, 7As, 1B.

What do you guys reckon my chances are at the following unis?

Warwick
Imperial (I know this is very much dependent on performance on the MAT)
UCL

I'm particularly interested about Warwick - I hear they give practically everyone with A*A*A predictions an AEA offer?! Is this true?

How also are my chances with UCL? (with quite an average personal statement)

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes you are basically guaranteed an offer from Warwick in that case. The offer is quite complicated, but you will be given the same offer as anybody else; they have a policy of a standard offer that I am not sure they ever alter (maybe there are some exceptional circumstances) for A-level candidates. They can be very strict with this offer, rejecting people who just miss it (moreso with the A-level element than the STEP/AEA element).

This was the offer this year. Previously the last two offers have not been available; I am not sure what will happen next year.
A*AA + 1 in any STEP
A*A*A + 2 in any STEP
A*A*A + distinction in AEA
A*A*A*
A*A*AA

where in all cases A* in Mathematics is required, and where two or more A*s are required, you must have A* in Further Maths also.

I did not apply to UCL or Imperial and I have a vague idea but best to wait for someone who knows their stuff.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Yes you are basically guaranteed an offer from Warwick in that case. The offer is quite complicated, but you will be given the same offer as anybody else; they have a policy of a standard offer that I am not sure they ever alter (maybe there are some exceptional circumstances) for A-level candidates. They can be very strict with this offer, rejecting people who just miss it (moreso with the A-level element than the STEP/AEA element).

This was the offer this year. Previously the last two offers have not been available; I am not sure what will happen next year.
A*AA + 1 in any STEP
A*A*A + 2 in any STEP
A*A*A + distinction in AEA
A*A*A*
A*A*AA

where in all cases A* in Mathematics is required, and where two or more A*s are required, you must have A* in Further Maths also.

I did not apply to UCL or Imperial and I have a vague idea but best to wait for someone who knows their stuff.

Thanks... That's very strange don't you think? Surely they'd be oversubscribed if they follow that policy?

In regards to the standard offer, can you meet any of them, or do they tell you which specific one you must meet? A*A*AA looks like a very nice offer... Will probably do AEA for the fun anyways.

Also let's hear your vague idea...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks... That's very strange don't you think? Surely they'd be oversubscribed if they follow that policy?

In regards to the standard offer, can you meet any of them, or do they tell you which specific one you must meet? A*A*AA looks like a very nice offer... Will probably do AEA for the fun anyways.

Also let's hear your vague idea...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, I imagine they get a lot of people who put them as insurance and Cambridge as firm. Some of these will make Cambridge. Some will miss both (especially as they are very strict on A levels). And then quite a few of those who firm Warwick will miss Warwick as the offer is relatively hard and having the predictions doesn't mean somebody is actually capable.

If you meet any of them you're in.

Well I don't think UCL are as kind with regards to handing out offers, even though the mathematics department is generally considered slightly lesser than that of Warwick. Imperial are notorious for absurdly challenging offers, similar to Cambridge, although they are probably the minority (A friend had an A*A*A*a offer, the a being at AS, and I believe I have heard of A*A*A*A* offers). They will also hand out less than Warwick. Some will say Imperial is better than Warwick, some will say Warwick is better than Imperial. There is no question that Imperial has the better brand. In Maths there can be debate (as a Warwick student, you can guess where I stand..). Also if you get a STEP offer they will often require STEP II or III, not STEP I. Some say there isn't much of a jump but personally I find STEP I way easier.
Well, I imagine they get a lot of people who put them as insurance and Cambridge as firm. Some of these will make Cambridge. Some will miss both (especially as they are very strict on A levels). And then quite a few of those who firm Warwick will miss Warwick as the offer is relatively hard and having the predictions doesn't mean somebody is actually capable.

Well I don't think UCL are as kind with regards to handing out offers, even though the mathematics department is generally considered slightly lesser than that of Warwick. Imperial are notorious for absurdly challenging offers, similar to Cambridge, although they are probably the minority (A friend had an A*A*A*a offer, the a being at AS, and I believe I have heard of A*A*A*A* offers). They will also hand out less than Warwick. Some will say Imperial is better than Warwick, some will say Warwick is better than Imperial. There is no question that Imperial has the better brand. In Maths there can be debate (as a Warwick student, you can guess where I stand..). Also if you get a STEP offer they will often require STEP II or III, not STEP I. Some say there isn't much of a jump but personally I find STEP I way easier.

Hmmm... I was also thinking about LSE (for maths with econ) ? As a uni I know they are quite tough on GCSEs and mine are quite poor. Any idea what the maths department are like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

even cambz AT agrees with that:colonhash:
Hmmm... I was also thinking about LSE (for maths with econ) ? As a uni I know they are quite tough on GCSEs and mine are quite poor. Any idea what the maths department are like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah I have no idea sorry. Economics is...not too appealing to me, let's put it like that. :tongue:
with those avergae gcse's and good a levles you probably wont get oxford, but im not sure about the other unis
GCSE: 1 A* (Maths) 4A's 5B's

AS Level:
Comp Sci: A
Physics: A
Maths: B (C1:62 C2:89 D1:74) Resitting C1

Will be doing AS further and possibly also A2 further next year, thinking of applying to Leeds, Manchester, Durham, Edinburgh and Bristol

Thoughts?
Academic profile:
GCSEs:1A* 5A's 3B's 2C's (went to an underachieving secondary school)
AS levels:
Maths-A
Further maths-A
C1-100 C2-90 M1-100 FP1-87 S1-90 S2-82
Economics-A 95/100
Physics-B
My ums average for maths further maths is 91.5% and economics 95% so my average for top 3 is 93.25% with A*A*A* predictions for A2(dropping physics). What are my chances of getting into Cambridge (economics), imperial (maths with stats for finance),Warwick(maths with economics),UCL(maths with economics),LSE(maths with economics)? I will also be taking the MAT, STEP ll/lll and the TSA or ECAA for Cambridge.
Original post by A1_Ahmed360
Academic profile:
GCSEs:1A* 5A's 3B's 2C's (went to an underachieving secondary school)
AS levels:
Maths-A
Further maths-A
C1-100 C2-90 M1-100 FP1-87 S1-90 S2-82
Economics-A 95/100
Physics-B
My ums average for maths further maths is 91.5% and economics 95% so my average for top 3 is 93.25% with A*A*A* predictions for A2(dropping physics). What are my chances of getting into Cambridge (economics), imperial (maths with stats for finance),Warwick(maths with economics),UCL(maths with economics),LSE(maths with economics)? I will also be taking the MAT, STEP ll/lll and the TSA or ECAA for Cambridge.

Cambridge Economics looks unlikely unless you have an amazing personal statement.

LSE maths with economics is a very distinct possibility, I know quite a few people who have got in with similar grades /UMS to you. Again however, it depends largely on your personal statement.

Warwick you are almost guaranteed to get a (very difficult) standard offer. The difficult part is meeting it.

UCL maths with economics is 50/50 because youre maths and fm ums isn't amazing. However, you do have a decent chance.

For imperial your chances depend on you performance on the MAT pretty much - your grades are fine.

Out if curiousty, how do you have your ums for Economics and physics? Ums no longer exists for these subjects. You're probably referring to your raw mark, which universities won't take. By the way, you're applying to almost identical universities for very similar courses to me!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
(edited 7 years ago)
Cambridge Economics looks unlikely unless you have an amazing personal statement.

LSE maths with economics is a very distinct possibility, I know quite a few people who have got in with similar grades /UMS to you. Again however, it depends largely on your personal statement.

Warwick you are almost guaranteed to get a (very difficult) standard offer. The difficult part is meeting it.

UCL maths with economics is 50/50 because youre maths and fm ums isn't amazing. However, you do have a decent chance.

For imperial your chances depend on you performance on the MAT pretty much - your grades are fine.

Out if curiousty, how do you have your ums for Economics and physics? Ums no longer exists for these subjects. You're probably referring to your raw mark, which universities won't take. By the way, you're applying to almost identical universities for very similar courses to me!

I don't know my physics ums mark and my economics mark is a raw mark however it is Exatcly 1.5 grades above an A so is equivalent to a 95%ums.Cambridge usually require ums across top 3 so I'm sure they would consider my economics mark in the average making it 93.25% which is above the average applicant but below the average offer holder(95%).Also why is Warwick and lse a strong chance because my GCSE results are poor I'm hoping a great interview and top admissions score will help my case for cmabridge and what is the average ums score for UCL as my m and fm averages to 92% 2significant figures?
Original post by A1_Ahmed360
I don't know my physics ums mark and my economics mark is a raw mark however it is Exatcly 1.5 grades above an A so is equivalent to a 95%ums.Cambridge usually require ums across top 3 so I'm sure they would consider my economics mark in the average making it 93.25% which is above the average applicant but below the average offer holder(95%).Also why is Warwick and lse a strong chance because my GCSE results are poor I'm hoping a great interview and top admissions score will help my case for cmabridge and what is the average ums score for UCL as my m and fm averages to 92% 2significant figures?

Your physics and economics exams are new spec, right? In that case, UCL, LSE and Cambridge will NOT take the raw marks. They will only take any ums marks you have, which is only maths and FM in this case. I'm not really sure about your Cambridge chances to be perfectly honest but I know people with massively better academic records who have been rejected from Cambridge economics.

The Warwick maths department give offers to pretty much everyone with decent predicted grades. Check their offer rate on the 'which uni' website. It'll be in the high eighties /low nineties. Their offer is very difficult to meet however.

With regards to LSE, they do look at gcses but the fact that your school was underachieving and also your AS ums should make up for it. They also love the a* fm prediction which should also negate your poor GCSES to an extent.

I'm not sure about the UCL average ums score (I'm applying there for the same course this year lol) but my ums average is 93% and should hopefully go up to 94% after a remark of one my exams.

Your physics and economics exams are new spec, right? In that case, UCL, LSE and Cambridge will NOT take the raw marks. They will only take any ums marks you have, which is only maths and FM in this case. I'm not really sure about your Cambridge chances to be perfectly honest but I know people with massively better academic records who have been rejected from Cambridge economics.

The Warwick maths department give offers to pretty much everyone with decent predicted grades. Check their offer rate on the 'which uni' website. It'll be in the high eighties /low nineties. Their offer is very difficult to meet however.

With regards to LSE, they do look at gcses but the fact that your school was underachieving and also your AS ums should make up for it. They also love the a* fm prediction which should also negate your poor GCSES to an extent.

I'm not sure about the UCL average ums score (I'm applying there for the same course this year lol) but my ums average is 93% and should hopefully go up to 94% after a remark of one my exams.

Do you realise no one can see your ums? (apart from Cam who request it on the SAQ). Unless you are a Cambridge applicant, AS ums isn't really important apart from w.r.t. getting predicted A* as some colleges will only predict A* if you get 90%, such as my former college
Original post by k.russell
Do you realise no one can see your ums? (apart from Cam who request it on the SAQ). Unless you are a Cambridge applicant, AS ums isn't really important apart from w.r.t. getting predicted A* as some colleges will only predict A* if you get 90%, such as my former college

Lol no. I know for a fact that UCL maths needs maths and FM ums as it's on their website and I've spoken to previous applicants.

I'm also 99% certain that LSE also ask for UMS on a separate questionnaire after application.
GCSE: A*maths, 1A, 5B's, 2C's
AS:Maths A, FMaths B, Physics C
A level predictions: Maths A, FMaths A, Economics B

The fmaths as level was very close to A, i had a bad exam day. Wanted to apply to Manchester, Birmingham, Southampton, UEA, Kent?
Lol no. I know for a fact that UCL maths needs maths and FM ums as it's on their website and I've spoken to previous applicants.

I'm also 99% certain that LSE also ask for UMS on a separate questionnaire after application.

Yeah sorry you're right about UCL maths, I am applying for UCL but not for maths and they will not collect my ums so thought that was a uni wide policy. LSE apparently do for courses run by the economics department, presumably as these are the most competitive?
Sorry for being wrong lol should stay out of maths chat x
GCSE : ABBBCCDDD
AS :A AAA
A2 Prediction : A*A*A
Applied to cambridge, ucl, Warwick, Durham and Kings collage london.
Applied to maths. Do you guys think my gcse will let me down, also I didn't take further maths so I am doing As further maths in my second year.
Original post by Ariyan khan
GCSE : ABBBCCDDD
AS :A AAA
A2 Prediction : A*A*A
Applied to cambridge, ucl, Warwick, Durham and Kings collage london.
Applied to maths. Do you guys think my gcse will let me down, also I didn't take further maths so I am doing As further maths in my second year.

possibly but not too much as long as both maths and english lang are at grade B or above . To go from those gcses to those As/A levels is a pretty big achievement regardless , well done . Were there any extenuating circumstances for your gcses?
Reply 1199
GCSE: 9 A*, 1 A
AS (predicted): AAAA in M+FM, History and French

I'm in year 12, thinking about applying to maths at Cambridge, do you think my lack of science subjects would let me down there, or at other top unis?

Also, what is the best way to balance my unis to make sure I get at least one offer

Quick Reply

Latest