how hard for a US student to get accepted into a college from a different country Watch

This discussion is closed.
gozabadoza
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
hello,
I was wondering whether if its extremly hard for a person from the states to go to a university in UK or anywhere in europe. I was considering doing it. Also, is it hard for UK students to get accepted into American colleges and universities?
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by gozabadoza)
hello,
I was wondering whether if its extremely hard for a person from the states to go to a university in UK or anywhere in europe. I was considering doing it. Also, is it hard for UK students to get accepted into American colleges and universities?
I don't know for sure how hard it is, but I think that most good Unis will require high SAT scores, as well as good grades in AP/Honors classes.

I looked it up a while ago, because I'm weird like that.
onearmedscissor
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Frances)
I don't know for sure how hard it is, but I think that most good Unis will require high SAT scores, as well as good grades in AP/Honors classes.

I looked it up a while ago, because I'm weird like that.
Me too, shall we get married?
Bragi
Report 16 years ago
I'm American and I just received an acceptance to the University of Edinburgh.

You will need SAT scores of at least 1150 (more like 1200 for most schools) and at least two AP exams. Depending on what you're majoring in, they have to be relevent. However, the schools are a little lenient on that. IE I'm majoring in International Business with Japanese, but they will count my Psychology and European History exams to get me in. They will not, however, count my English exams.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
From what I have heard alot of units love foreign students and thus it is easier for them to get in (apparantly)
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by onearmedscissor)
Me too, shall we get married?
Dunno. Are you rich?
SweetSugar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I don't know specifically about US applicants but ive applied from Australia and have found it fairly easy to be accepted. The uni's normally just work out the equivalent of the marks you received so as long as you received good grades you should be fine
gozabadoza
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
thanks for helping me out...I"m really ignorant about universities on a international level. you see, its really hard for west coast kids to get accepted into ivy league schools, so I just wanted to compare the two differences.
onearmedscissor
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Frances)
Dunno. Are you rich?
No, but I'm suave.
ThornsnRoses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hello,
I was wondering whether if its extremly hard for a person from the states to go to a university in UK or anywhere in europe. I was considering doing it. Also, is it hard for UK students to get accepted into American colleges and universities?

i presume pretty hard...since you do the SATs...which are not regarded very well here.

Maybe if you did the IB it would make things easier?
Lurker
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Also, is it hard for UK students to get accepted into American colleges and universities?
I'm not sure how hard it is for UK students to get in, but I'm pretty sure they have to sit SATs if they apply.
I also read somewhere that UK students in US universities often get 'advanced credits'(?) for their degree, because Alevels are considered harder than the American equivalent.
Soulfish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I know that York for instance tend to ask for a minimum of 3 AP's (at grade 5 or something?) and a minimum SAT score of 600 on each paper.
That probably means alot to you, but not to me

Most UK Unis see the AP's as roughly equivilant to the A-Levels that are taken by UK students.

As for UK students getting into US unis. It varies. I think it was yale that just substituted 3 a-levels for the SAT/AP requirements, but most others request that the applicants sit the SAT tests.
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
it's probably easier for you to get in to a UK uni - they are so underfunded that they always look to foreigners paying overseas fees to make their money.. hence you'd be in high demand.
emma_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I was almost almost going to apply to American universities...
Had my list, had the application, researched it all etc etc

You can do SATs but you can also do the ACT which I was going to do. I think that it is easier for various reasons. All universities accept the ACT accept for a small few (i think MIT doesnt, cant quite remember now).

You basically just fill out all the looooongggg lonnnnngggg forms, and do the SATS/ACT, and do all the essays. O and suddenly realise you're meant to have the longest list of extra curricular activities in the world!

The hardest thing is getting your head around the whole system. It's COMPLETELY different from over here. My god ours is easier!
bella
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
From what I have heard alot of units love foreign students and thus it is easier for them to get in (apparantly)
It's true, (so they say). I mean I am a foreign student applying to the US and i just got accepted in 3 universtiy out of the 10 I've applied. Of course as an International student what matters most is your financial abilities. I mean, hell, universities in USA are expensive!!!! especially the top qualified uniz. Yeah they got 'some aid' for us, but just try yo luck.
kosine90
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emma_)
I was almost almost going to apply to American universities...
Had my list, had the application, researched it all etc etc

You can do SATs but you can also do the ACT which I was going to do. I think that it is easier for various reasons. All universities accept the ACT accept for a small few (i think MIT doesnt, cant quite remember now).

You basically just fill out all the looooongggg lonnnnngggg forms, and do the SATS/ACT, and do all the essays. O and suddenly realise you're meant to have the longest list of extra curricular activities in the world!

The hardest thing is getting your head around the whole system. It's COMPLETELY different from over here. My god ours is easier!
I agree! I had to do (hmm.. let me count...) at least 5 different personal statements, plus lots of short essays for my applications to US universities
serendipity
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hello,
They'll want you cos they need the money.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (0)
0%
Yes- I don't like it (0)
0%
No- I want it (0)
0%
No- I don't want it (0)
0%

Watched Threads