suggestions for a higher english persuasive essay? Watch

This discussion is closed.
kalou123
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
hey guys
we're trying to do an essay for english, but we're completely lost for ideas, we don't want to do something boring like abortion. We wanna be original!
hope you's can help, thanks
LonelySoul193
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
http://homeworktips.about.com/od/ess...menttopics.htm - kay? Kay
ENNGUF
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
There are loads of controversial issues out there, just pick a topic that actually interests you and isn't the topic that everybody chooses (like abortion) - it makes the actual essay less boring for the teacher (because they get to read something that hasn't been done a million times) and for you (because you have a natural interest in the issue which can potentially improve an essay). I have no idea where your interests lie, but I'd suggest you pick something unusual.

Recent similar thread:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1399539
Kelz_26
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I did school uniform.
ENNGUF
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Also overdone.
Kelz_26
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ENNGUF)
Also overdone.
It doesn't matter, it's just a NAB so you only need to pass it.
ENNGUF
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Kelz_26)
It doesn't matter, it's just a NAB so you only need to pass it.
That's the problem, it's not a NAB - this was only the case for people sitting Higher English in 2010 and previous to that. For people sitting Higher English this year (2011, which thank god I won't have to sit), the course has been altered: the Personal Study NAB has been scrapped and now ~20% worth of your overall grade comes from a folio of work reflective essay/creative writing stuff, although I don't think the external exam has changed. So, by choosing a popular topic you're only making it more difficult for yourself to get a good mark which is why I'm discouraging the OP from doing so and encouraging them to pick something more original.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...&postcount=481
Kelz_26
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ENNGUF)
That's the problem, it's not a NAB - this was only the case for people sitting Higher English in 2010 and previous to that. For people sitting Higher English this year (2011, which thank god I won't have to sit), the course has been altered: the Personal Study NAB has been scrapped and now ~20% worth of your overall grade comes from a folio of work reflective essay/creative writing stuff, although I don't think the external exam has changed. So, by choosing a popular topic you're only making it more difficult for yourself to get a good mark which is why I'm discouraging the OP from doing so and encouraging them to pick something more original.
Oh I see, I'm glad I did it last year then!
kalou123
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
thanks! we decided on why the legal ages for things such as sex, alcohol and driving are completely different all round the world, and should recycling be mandatory so not exactly abortion!! yay!
jellybeangirl
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I had this problem too - could not think what to do.
Eventually I did an essay on how it was wrong to stereotype young people. That was ok because I passed!
Maybe you could do state schools V private schools (depending on your opinion!!!) or just anything that you think is totally unfair (but relevant to Higher English). Just make sure it's a subject you actually care about because otherwise you won't try your best.

And theres a lot of facts about it because thats important too!
Good Luck
burial
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm doing euthanasia, it is fairly common but its a subject that arose in our family so I do have quite an interest in it. The amount of people doing abortion is ridiculous though...
JACKKDINE
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Mine was own lowering the voting age to 16 - very topical and lots to write
jen97
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did mine on the benefits of sport, lots to write about, not often used
eharv
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did the military expenditure for the US overseas contingency plans
Oscar13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ha-ha abortion is so not original!

I just got my topic off this list: http://www.myspeechclass.com/persuasivetopics2.html

Abortion, gun control, and gay marriage are there too but there are quite a few unique ideas.
Velvetdisney
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This is a very late reply but I did mine on why you should have a negative outlook on life
MartinDUFC
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Velvetdisney)
This is a very late reply but I did mine on why you should have a negative outlook on life
Bit odd, what was your argument for that?
Velvetdisney
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I said that negativity was the key to success and basically said that if you live life thinking everything is perfect then at some point you are going to get disappointed, I then said that if you think things are going to go terribly then you will be pleasantly surprised from time to time
megzz23
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
bit late but what else did you write? im thinking of writing my advanced higher english folio on that essay! I need a funny and cynical persuasive essay for my foio, any topics would be helpful!!
retdfyug
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
ur mum gay lol
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.75%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (99)
34.74%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (59)
20.7%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.82%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
12.98%

Watched Threads