The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
There are loads of controversial issues out there, just pick a topic that actually interests you and isn't the topic that everybody chooses (like abortion) - it makes the actual essay less boring for the teacher (because they get to read something that hasn't been done a million times) and for you (because you have a natural interest in the issue which can potentially improve an essay). I have no idea where your interests lie, but I'd suggest you pick something unusual. :smile:

Recent similar thread:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1399539
Reply 3
I did school uniform.
Reply 4
Also overdone.
Reply 5
ENNGUF
Also overdone.
It doesn't matter, it's just a NAB so you only need to pass it.
Reply 6
Kelz_26
It doesn't matter, it's just a NAB so you only need to pass it.

That's the problem, it's not a NAB - this was only the case for people sitting Higher English in 2010 and previous to that. For people sitting Higher English this year (2011, which thank god I won't have to sit), the course has been altered: the Personal Study NAB has been scrapped and now ~20% worth of your overall grade comes from a folio of work reflective essay/creative writing stuff, although I don't think the external exam has changed. So, by choosing a popular topic you're only making it more difficult for yourself to get a good mark which is why I'm discouraging the OP from doing so and encouraging them to pick something more original.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=25429807&postcount=481
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
ENNGUF
That's the problem, it's not a NAB - this was only the case for people sitting Higher English in 2010 and previous to that. For people sitting Higher English this year (2011, which thank god I won't have to sit), the course has been altered: the Personal Study NAB has been scrapped and now ~20% worth of your overall grade comes from a folio of work reflective essay/creative writing stuff, although I don't think the external exam has changed. So, by choosing a popular topic you're only making it more difficult for yourself to get a good mark which is why I'm discouraging the OP from doing so and encouraging them to pick something more original.

Oh I see, I'm glad I did it last year then!
Reply 8
thanks! we decided on why the legal ages for things such as sex, alcohol and driving are completely different all round the world, and should recycling be mandatory :smile: so not exactly abortion!! yay!
I had this problem too - could not think what to do. :frown:
Eventually I did an essay on how it was wrong to stereotype young people. That was ok because I passed! :smile:
Maybe you could do state schools V private schools (depending on your opinion!!!) or just anything that you think is totally unfair (but relevant to Higher English). Just make sure it's a subject you actually care about because otherwise you won't try your best. :smile:

And theres a lot of facts about it because thats important too! :smile:
Good Luck :smile:
Reply 10
I'm doing euthanasia, it is fairly common but its a subject that arose in our family so I do have quite an interest in it. The amount of people doing abortion is ridiculous though...
Reply 11
Mine was own lowering the voting age to 16 - very topical and lots to write
Reply 12
I did mine on the benefits of sport, lots to write about, not often used :smile:
Reply 13
I did the military expenditure for the US overseas contingency plans
Reply 14
Ha-ha abortion is so not original!

I just got my topic off this list: http://www.myspeechclass.com/persuasivetopics2.html

Abortion, gun control, and gay marriage are there too but there are quite a few unique ideas.
This is a very late reply but I did mine on why you should have a negative outlook on life
Original post by Velvetdisney
This is a very late reply but I did mine on why you should have a negative outlook on life

Bit odd, what was your argument for that?
I said that negativity was the key to success and basically said that if you live life thinking everything is perfect then at some point you are going to get disappointed, I then said that if you think things are going to go terribly then you will be pleasantly surprised from time to time
bit late but what else did you write? im thinking of writing my advanced higher english folio on that essay! I need a funny and cynical persuasive essay for my foio, any topics would be helpful!!
ur mum gay lol

Latest