This discussion is closed.
SweetSugar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I've received offers from Hull and Sussex (for geography) and was wondering what people thought of the uni's? Which one is seen as better? Thanks!
covered farm wagon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I would say Sussex definitely! I think of it as being more prestigious than Hull, if that's a factor, and Brighton would be fun, although expensive, to live in.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by SweetSugar)
I've received offers from Hull and Sussex (for geography) and was wondering what people thought of the uni's? Which one is seen as better? Thanks!
Do you come from a land down under as your location says Australia?

I live in Hull and am going to Hull (assuming that I get the grades).

Hull is awesome for night outs and the Uni is fairly good too. Its cheap to live aswell.

Also they have one of the best supported Rugby League teams in the country and Richard Swain has just joined the club this year.

Do not be put off by people telling you that Sussex is classier or more affluent. At the end of the day this counts for very little when you are studying for a degree.
starry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hull!
OldBailey
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'd say Sussex. Like covered farm wa said, Brighton's excellent for nightlife. It's good in the summer as well 'case of the beach. There's also soome stunning scenery if you venture a bit further inland and get onto the South Downs.It's probably about an hour up to London, so not that far away.
The Uni itself has actually got quite a good rep. - not sure about Geog. in particular.
"Do not be put off by people telling you that Sussex is classier or more affluent. At the end of the day this counts for very little when you are studying for a degree.
I'd say that in part he's right, but when you come out of yout degree, it's then that where you've been will make a difference to employers etc.
Sussex defo.
SweetSugar
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Thanks so much for the replies guys, I appreciate it! I probably will go back to Australia during summer so the beach at brighton probably won't be too useful for me (especially as I doubt english summers are half as warm as Australian summers!) I'm still waiting for replies from other uni's so I'm not sure what im going to do but thankyou!
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Thanks so much for the replies guys, I appreciate it! I probably will go back to Australia during summer so the beach at brighton probably won't be too useful for me (especially as I doubt english summers are half as warm as Australian summers!) I'm still waiting for replies from other uni's so I'm not sure what im going to do but thankyou!
Sussex and particularly Brighton must be one of the most expenisve parts of the country.

Hull is very cheap to live in accomodation wise and commodity wise.

If cash could be an issue seriously consider Hull.
Tigs
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I've lived in Brighton before, and I would have to say Sussex. It's 50 minutes away from London by train, but Brighton has everything you could possibly want in a city. Clubbing is cheaper, and you can walk from club to club (no taxis needed.) There is also a really strong australian prescence in Brighton- check out the Walkabout bar- gorgeous OZ bartenders. And although Brighton does have all the high street stores, it also has loads of funky shops in the lanes.
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'd prefer studying at Sussex myself, depends on what YOU want though.
Cattigan
Report 15 years ago
I'm just finishing a degree in geography from Hull uni and I have to say I'm going to be really sad to leave. It's a really friendly, down to earth university, and the geog department is highly rated.

Plus what with the cheapness of living here and the top quality nightlife I'd definitely recommend Hull (not to mention its BEDA awarded nightclub yay!)
starstruck
Report 15 years ago
I don't think you can lose this one.

I did my undergrad at hull - it's amazingly cheap, and I had a fantastic time there. I have less student debt than nearly anyone I know. The whole place is student oriented and the nightlife is great!

I also know people who went to sussex, and they really enjoyed it too. Brighton is a really lively place to live.

I think you just have to pay a visit to both and see which one you like best!

Good luck deciding!
fionah
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeah i'd agree with the general consensus - sussex. Even if you're not going to go swimming in the sea or anything and even if it's not hot, it's still nice to be by the beach don't you think!!
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by fionah)
Yeah i'd agree with the general consensus - sussex. Even if you're not going to go swimming in the sea or anything and even if it's not hot, it's still nice to be by the beach don't you think!!
Hull!!
Nice place, cheap, amazing uni nightclub
SweetSugar
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Thanks for all the replies! At the moment I've decided on Leeds for my first choice (unless I get into durham) and Hull as my second choice. I figure I've lived my whole life by the beach so although Brighton may have the beach, thats not a major attraction for me personally!
lilhoney
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Sussex definitely! Did you know Hull was recentely voted crappest UK town? also, it is now officially the most obese place in Britain. Sound like a fun time?
nadlad
Report 15 years ago
Hull Has Also Been Voted Worst City In Uk For Two Years Running Lol Lol Lol
rax
Report 15 years ago
does anyone know anything about/interested in the molecular medicine course? i will be visiting sussex on the 24th - i grew up by the sea in spain and now cant wait to leave smelly old london to go and live in brighton!!
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by nadlad)
Hull Has Also Been Voted Worst City In Uk For Two Years Running Lol Lol Lol
Yeah i know, i can totally see why!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (217)
68.03%
No (102)
31.97%

Watched Threads