This discussion is closed.
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
You may have meant that, but it sounded like you were saying that having any Grammars in an area is detrimental to the LEA.
LOL well it wasn't supposed to sound like that. Anyway,what do you think about that?
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
LOL well it wasn't supposed to sound like that. Anyway,what do you think about that?
About what?
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
About what?
About in areas where there are no grammars, the comprehensives are still failing.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
About in areas where there are no grammars, the comprehensives are still failing.
Give me an example.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Give me an example.
Okay, I will. Hold on.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Right. Lets take Kingston Upon Hull.

Here is it's list of schools:
LEA Average 27.5%
England Average 50%
Andrew Marvell School 229
Archbishop Thurstan Church of ...
David Lister School 257
Endeavour High School New school from start of 2000/2001 academic year
Hull Grammar School
Hull Trinity House School Hymers College
Isaac Newton School
Kelvin Hall School
Kingswood High School
Malet Lambert School Language ...
Newland School for Girls
Pickering High School New school from start of 2000/2001 academic year
St Mary's College
Sir Henry Cooper School
Sydney Smith School
Winifred Holtby School Technol...

And look it only has one grammar school which gets 79% at GCSE with 48 pupils. Hull is the 148th School out of 150. I chose that area because it's a bit impossible to choose a part of London.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
a) It has a grammar
b) Hull is a dive.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
a) It has a grammar
b) Hull is a dive.
Nottingham:
Big Wood School
Djanogly City Academy Nottingham
Djanogly City Technology College
Elliott Durham School
Ellis Guilford School and Sports College
Fairham Community College
Farnborough School Technology College
Fernwood School
Forest Comprehensive School
Greenwood Dale School
Hadden Park High School
Haywood School
Henry Mellish Comprehensive School
Manning Comprehensive School
Margaret Glen-Bott School
The Nottingham Bluecoat School and Technology College
The Nottingham Emmanuel School
The River Leen School
Top Valley School
Trinity Catholic School
William Crane School
William Sharp School

Hollygirt School
Iona School
Jamia Al-Hudaa Residential College
Nottingham High School
Nottingham High School for Girls GDST
The King's School

Although there are no grammars, there are a few indepenedent schools.

Hull being a dive makes no difference, the kids are still failing and this has nothing to do with the grammar schools.
yawn1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Nottingham:
Big Wood School
Djanogly City Academy Nottingham
Djanogly City Technology College
Elliott Durham School
Ellis Guilford School and Sports College
Fairham Community College
Farnborough School Technology College
Fernwood School
Forest Comprehensive School
Greenwood Dale School
Hadden Park High School
Haywood School
Henry Mellish Comprehensive School
Manning Comprehensive School
Margaret Glen-Bott School
The Nottingham Bluecoat School and Technology College
The Nottingham Emmanuel School
The River Leen School
Top Valley School
Trinity Catholic School
William Crane School
William Sharp School

Hollygirt School
Iona School
Jamia Al-Hudaa Residential College
Nottingham High School
Nottingham High School for Girls GDST
The King's School

Although there are no grammars, there are a few indepenedent schools.

Hull being a dive makes no difference, the kids are still failing and this has nothing to do with the grammar schools.
Hull is statiscally a very deprived area. It is not the kids who are failing but the LEA that is failing the kids!!
Notts. does only marginally worse than the England average.
Kent has the worst performing school in the country!
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
With respect, you cant do this without LH. He is by far the best at acquiring stats from the internet and looking up league tables. I think he even knows Lancashires LEA off by heart
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
With respect, you cant do this without LH. He is by far the best at acquiring stats from the internet and looking up league tables. I think he even knows Lancashires LEA off by heart
LOL it is difficult when it isn't your area. But what I've said disprooves the point that I too once believed that grammars make comprehensives fail. Does it not?
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
LOL it is difficult when it isn't your area. But what I've said disprooves the point that I too once believed that grammars make comprehensives fail. Does it not?
Two rando, pieces of information show nothing.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Two rando, pieces of information show nothing.
Yes they do! And they aren't random, they are two of the worst educational places in the country.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes they do! And they aren't random, they are two of the worst educational places in the country.
Notts is only slightly below the national average!
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Notts is only slightly below the national average!
Nottingham not Notts, is about 146/150. Which has 30% of people get 5*-Cs... a little more than 'slightly' below average.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes. What I know from Lancashire is that the two state grammars get the best exam results, then comes the private schools with the comprehensives last in general.
Irrelevant when comparing raw data.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

I hate to say it but, for society to work we need people with a poor education to do manual jobs etc. I'm not saying that people from deprived backgrounds cannot do well in life but, it is less likely. I might also like to point out that the most successful entrepenuers are the ones from deprived backgrounds. What i'm saying is if everybody got 10 A*s for example what would the point be in doing exams at all.
We do need people with no/little qualifications to do the jobs that we don't like and these probably do come from deprived backgrounds. I wouldn't really know but I would guess that not enough people from deprived backgrounds get into grammars and this should be changed. The top people should get in, not the people who were rich enough to live in the area of expensive house prices or rich enough to pay the bus fair everyday.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Agreed. Although LH will argue that 25% of his beloved CRGS come from outside the catchment area (Clitheroe is a fairly affluent area). The problem is that the people from outside the catchment area are often rich or infact even richer despite living in what would be percieved to be poorer areas.
Doesn't sound fair to me. You get to mix with clever, rich folk for nothing. That's very unfair, taking the even richer :mad:

Or he'll argue that there is some kind of free bus for the poor ones.
yawn1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Joey-Johns - I can't believe I saw what you wrote!
"I hate to say it but for society to work we need people with a poor education to do manual jobs etc."
This was the thinking behind the facist regime of apartheid in South Africa.
I would say your college principal would be extremely sad to hear you voice an opinion like that.
Did we not agree that everybody was an individual and unique? I see that by denying certain sections of society an excellent education we are failing to subscribe to that philosophy of uniqueness. What about equal opportunity. Comps give all kids that promise of equity of education according to their abilities.
happysunshine - Notts. is an abbreviation of Nottingham an is perfectly acceptable to use for the sake of brevity.
I will re-iterate - Kent has the worst performing school - Ramsgate secondary modern. It is in an area that has a number of grammars and is used as a 'dumping ground' for the least able, maladjusted, excluded, vulnerable members of its' area. This, in an LEA which is not only one of the largest and richest in the country but also with the most grammars.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
Joey-Johns - I can't believe I saw what you wrote!
"I hate to say it but for society to work we need people with a poor education to do manual jobs etc."
This was the thinking behind the facist regime of apartheid in South Africa.
I would say your college principal would be extremely sad to hear you voice an opinion like that.
Did we not agree that everybody was an individual and unique? I see that by denying certain sections of society an excellent education we are failing to subscribe to that philosophy of uniqueness. What about equal opportunity. Comps give all kids that promise of equity of education according to their abilities.
happysunshine - Notts. is an abbreviation of Nottingham an is perfectly acceptable to use for the sake of brevity.
I will re-iterate - Kent has the worst performing school - Ramsgate secondary modern. It is in an area that has a number of grammars and is used as a 'dumping ground' for the least able, maladjusted, excluded, vulnerable members of its' area. This, in an LEA which is not only one of the largest and richest in the country but also with the most grammars.
Where do you live Yawn?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (242)
61.89%
Yes- I don't like it (18)
4.6%
No- I want it (105)
26.85%
No- I don't want it (26)
6.65%

Watched Threads