This discussion is closed.
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
There is a free bus. I think its subsidised by the LEA. Despite this I know for a fact that to get into Clithere Grammar and Bacup Grammar 6th forms it is really easy (about 5 C grades) and there is a very high percentage of poor people coming from outside the cathcment area to the schools. This is a good thing.
Oh that's very good Are you from this the Clithere area?
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
happysunshine - Notts. is an abbreviation of Nottingham an is perfectly acceptable to use for the sake of brevity.
No Leics, Berks, Hamps, Lincs, Yorks and Cambs etc all mean counties not the actual city. And Nottingham is different to Nottinghamshire. Also I knew he wasn't talking about Nottingham because he said Nottinghamshire is only slightly below average where as Nottingham is not.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
I will re-iterate - Kent has the worst performing school - Ramsgate secondary modern. It is in an area that has a number of grammars and is used as a 'dumping ground' for the least able, maladjusted, excluded, vulnerable members of its' area. This, in an LEA which is not only one of the largest and richest in the country but also with the most grammars.
So really they get 4%? because if all the grammars where turned into comprehensives they wouldn't get 5A*-C anyway and they are all in one school making it look bad on that particular school. I don't know if that makes sense :confused:
yawn1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
There is a free bus. I think its subsidised by the LEA. Despite this I know for a fact that to get into Clithere Grammar and Bacup Grammar 6th forms it is really easy (about 5 C grades) and there is a very high percentage of poor people coming from outside the cathcment area to the schools. This is a good thing.
You said in a previous post that most of the kids going to CGS come from outside the catchment area (affluent area in fact) They will be the ones entitled to free bus travel as an LEA pays for anyone living more than 3 miles from their school to travel free. So the rich get it for nothing - typical. What a sad society we live in?
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
So really they get 4%? because if all the grammars where turned into comprehensives they wouldn't get 5A*-C anyway and they are all in one school making it look bad on that particular school. I don't know if that makes sense :confused:
Yes, but for those who can see through basic statistics, it is not a problem.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Oh that's very good Are you from this the Clithere area?
My old school is near Clitheroe and I have friends from Clitheroe and Bacup Grammar. But no, I live next to the west pennine moors, on the border with Yorkshire. I do know Clitheroe quite well though.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My old school is near Clitheroe and I have friends from Clitheroe and Bacup Grammar. But no, I live next to the west pennine moors, on the border with Yorkshire. I do know Clitheroe quite well though.
LOL well you've lost me! I have no idea where all this stuff is But at least you stop LH from lying or exaggerating.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
You said in a previous post that most of the kids going to CGS come from outside the catchment area (affluent area in fact) They will be the ones entitled to free bus travel as an LEA pays for anyone living more than 3 miles from their school to travel free. So the rich get it for nothing - typical. What a sad society we live in?
Wrong, only people with parents not earning a certain amount (not sure but it will be around 30k joint income I imagine). So it is fair. The rich have to pay for there buses.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
Yes, but for those who can see through basic statistics, it is not a problem.
Yes, so the school is fine. They could turn it into a special needs school. Then it wouldn't look so bad.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes, so the school is fine. They could turn it into a special needs school. Then it wouldn't look so bad.
It only looks 'bad' to stupid people, so why change it?
yawn1
Rep:
?
You really need to examine the statistics more closely. There is no way you can compare the results of a grammar with a comp because the grammar has all their pupils in the top 25% whereas a comp takes pupils from all abilities.
Look at it this way - a grammar gets 95% of its pupils at 5 A*/C grades. A comp gets 65% of its pupils the same grades. So does this mean that all of it's top 25% get the grades, plus the next 25% and the nest 10%. If that;s the case the comp is doing MUCH better than the grammar. Now do you see?
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It only looks 'bad' to stupid people, so why change it?
Because change is good.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Because change is good.
*yawns*
yawn1
Rep:
?
Wrong, only people with parents not earning a certain amount (not sure but it will be around 30k joint income I imagine). So it is fair. The rich have to pay for there buses.
Not wrong!! Check Lancs. school travel policy and you'll see that those who live more than 3 miles from their secondary school get free transport.
This 3 mile criteria (2 miles for primary children) is laid down by central government who make an allowance for the free travel when delegating funds to LEA's.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
You really need to examine the statistics more closely. There is no way you can compare the results of a grammar with a comp because the grammar has all their pupils in the top 25% whereas a comp takes pupils from all abilities.
Look at it this way - a grammar gets 95% of its pupils at 5 A*/C grades. A comp gets 65% of its pupils the same grades. So does this mean that all of it's top 25% get the grades, plus the next 25% and the nest 10%. If that;s the case the comp is doing MUCH better than the grammar. Now do you see?
No. Means nothing
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
*yawns*
Well I'm bored too, you don't need to be rude about it :rolleyes:
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well I'm bored too, you don't need to be rude about it :rolleyes:
Sorry, but "change is good" is not a valid argument.
yawn1
Rep:
?
No. Means nothing
Oh dear - what does that say about your intellectual capabilities
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No. Means nothing
Try educating yourself.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Sorry, but "change is good" is not a valid argument.
I know, I couldn't think what to write.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (242)
61.89%
Yes- I don't like it (18)
4.6%
No- I want it (105)
26.85%
No- I don't want it (26)
6.65%

Watched Threads