This discussion is closed.
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
You really need to examine the statistics more closely. There is no way you can compare the results of a grammar with a comp because the grammar has all their pupils in the top 25% whereas a comp takes pupils from all abilities.
Look at it this way - a grammar gets 95% of its pupils at 5 A*/C grades. A comp gets 65% of its pupils the same grades. So does this mean that all of it's top 25% get the grades, plus the next 25% and the nest 10%. If that;s the case the comp is doing MUCH better than the grammar. Now do you see?
A grammar should get 100% 5A*-C. My school only has 50% getting 5A*-C, and 5 years ago when I was in Year 7 it was only 42%...
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
Not wrong!! Check Lancs. school travel policy and you'll see that those who live more than 3 miles from their secondary school get free transport.
This 3 mile criteria (2 miles for primary children) is laid down by central government who make an allowance for the free travel when delegating funds to LEA's.
We are not talking about secondary school. Its 6th form. Its a pilot scheme I believe.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by me!)
A grammar should get 100% 5A*-C. My school only has 50% getting 5A*-C, and 5 years ago when I was in Year 7 it was only 42%...
Exactly. Used stupid statistics, 'cause your average comprehensive will not get 65%.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
Oh dear - what does that say about your intellectual capabilities
I already knew the points you were trying to make, they didn't seem to have much relevance.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
Try educating yourself.
I'm the one who knows the difference between Notts and Nottingham.
yawn1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
I already knew the points you were trying to make, they didn't seem to have much relevance.
Not relevant!!
We are talking about the comparison of results in GCSE league tables between grammars and others are we not?
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
Not relevant!!
We are talking about the comparison of results in GCSE league tables between grammars and others are we not?
Making meaningless statements is the only way she can survive this debate.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
Not relevant!!
Yes, but I didn't see how it really fitted in. I said that 4% was bad but acceptable because they are all probably dumb.
yawn1
Rep:
?
Yes, but I didn't see how it really fitted in. I said that 4% was bad but acceptable because they are all probably dumb.
I have no wish to be rude to you but you are inviting rudeness with comments like " it's acceptable because they are all probably dumb"
I have explained the reasons why a lot of those pupils are at that school and that does not include a lacking in inherent ability, more a lacking in opportunity.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
I have no wish to be rude to you but you are inviting rudeness with comments like " it's acceptable because they are all probably dumb"
I have explained the reasons why a lot of those pupils are at that school and that does not include a lacking in inherent ability, more a lacking in opportunity.
Well I have explained why they are there too and I disagree.
yawn1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
We are not talking about secondary school. Its 6th form. Its a pilot scheme I believe.
I started the thread and I was talking about key stage 4 not 6th form!
It is worse than I thought then - if those kids at secondary level (rather than further education) are from wealthy backgrounds (as you yourself said) and coming from outside the area, i.e. more than 3 miles then they will get free travel. Where's the justice in that? Free bus travel is NOT means tested just distance tested.
yawn1
Rep:
?
Well I have explained why they are there too and I disagree.
I think it's time you went and did some homework
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
I think it's time you went and did some homework
Homework about what? I think what I think
me!
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
How can you label people dumb? Just because people don't have the opportunity to achieve their full potential and get the right qualifications doesn't give you the right to judge them. At the end of the day this debate can go on for ever but the only people who can change things are the government, whatever is said here, on this thread is not going to make a difference. Besides which some of the posts are offensive and achieve nothing, saying that though some are enlightening...
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Homework about what? I think what I think
Scientists are now saying that Opinions should be backed up by appropriate knowledge.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Scientists are now saying that Opinions should be backed up by appropriate knowledge.
Unless of course you are an arm chair sports fan. Then appropiate knowledge goes out the window. Thats why Mr.John Smith, an avid Manchester United fan is always going to be a better manager than Alex Ferguson infront of his widescreen TV.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Unless of course you are an arm chair sports fan. Then appropiate knowledge goes out the window. Thats why Mr.John Smith, an avid Manchester United fan is always going to be a better manager than Alex Ferguson infront of his widescreen TV.
Relevance - 10/10
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Relevance - 10/10
Indeed. Although I do believe one day LH will some how get the honourable job of compiling GCSE and A Level league tables, so he wont be so much an arm chair fan.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Indeed. Although I do believe one day LH will some how get the honourable job of compiling GCSE and A Level league tables, so he wont be so much an arm chair fan.
lol
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by me!)
How can you label people dumb? Just because people don't have the opportunity to achieve their full potential and get the right qualifications doesn't give you the right to judge them. At the end of the day this debate can go on for ever but the only people who can change things are the government, whatever is said here, on this thread is not going to make a difference. Besides which some of the posts are offensive and achieve nothing, saying that though some are enlightening...
I don't live in Kent, so I really have don't know what kind of people go to this school but I'm guessing that most of them are the left overs and aren't so bright or are poor and cannot afford to go to another school (which probably is unlikely since most aren't poor and there are plently of schools). I'm sorry if I've offended you.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (2)
28.57%
Yes- I don't like it (1)
14.29%
No- I want it (3)
42.86%
No- I don't want it (1)
14.29%

Watched Threads