This discussion is closed.
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
(which probably is unlikely since most aren't poor and there are plently of schools).
YOu clearly don't know Kent.
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
No I don't. I'll just give my oppinions supported by the information I've got - I'm not going to go for a dayout looking around their schools just so I can reply to this thread. Do you know Kent?
me!
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Exactly, how can anyone judge places/ people without actually having personal experiences of them or at least knowing about them...

'You can only see with open eyes, only hear with open ears and only think with an open mind.'
me!
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I don't live in Kent, so I really have don't know what kind of people go to this school but I'm guessing that most of them are the left overs and aren't so bright or are poor and cannot afford to go to another school (which probably is unlikely since most aren't poor and there are plently of schools). I'm sorry if I've offended you.
'Guessing' is the key word...
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by me!)
Exactly, how can anyone judge places/ people without actually having personal experiences of them or at least knowing about them...

'You can only see with open eyes, only hear with open ears and only think with an open mind.'
Well we all may as well forget this thread then, since some of us can only comment on grammar school and not comprhensive schools and the other way round because that's the school we have been to.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
In that case the British government should be scrapped.
You should be quiet you have not seen the government with your own eyes :rolleyes:
me!
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
In that case the British government should be scrapped.
I'm with that... I think :rolleyes:
me!
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by me!)
'You should be quiet you have not seen the government with your own eyes'

But we've seen and have to live with the consequences of the decisions they make... I don't really know... I'll have to live for a few more years before I can comment on stuff like that
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by me!)
Or certain regions should have their own parliments run by people from the region, who know the region and understand it. What applies in London certainly doesnt apply in the other regions.
me!
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Or certain regions should have their own parliments run by people from the region, who know the region and understand it. What applies in London certainly doesnt apply in the other regions.
That's a good idea, you should be a politician

Sometimes it doesn't even apply to London...
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by me!)
That's a good idea, you should be a politician

Sometimes it doesn't even apply to London...
Lol. Its not my idea.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Nooo! It's a very bad idea!
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Do you know Kent?
I lived there for 18 years.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You must agree though that it would be better if your local MP knew your area and understood it well. It is a joke when a southern MP comes to the North to win an easy seat and vice versa.
You don't know who would be running it (and I shan't tell you either!).
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I lived there for 18 years.
And how wrong was I about poor/dumb kids attending that school?
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
And how wrong was I about poor/dumb kids attending that school?
I resent the word "dumb".

(Original post by happysumshine)
(which probably is unlikely since most aren't poor and there are plently of schools).
That is why you don't know Kent schools very well.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I resent the word "dumb".

That is why you don't know Kent schools very well.
But it is a wealthy place? I doubt there are as many poorer families as there are most places.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
But it is a wealthy place? I doubt there are as many poorer families as there are most places.
Kent is only wealthy in rural areas.

Medway and Thanet are very poor.

The area with the highest density of Grammars is one of the poorest areas in Kent.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Agreed. Although LH will argue that 25% of his beloved CRGS come from outside the catchment area (Clitheroe is a fairly affluent area). The problem is that the people from outside the catchment area are often rich or infact even richer despite living in what would be percieved to be poorer areas.
One of my friends lives in a terraced house near Turf Moor. I'm sure you're aare of the price of property in that area? £30,000 and thereabouts?

And there are a lot of people in a similar situation.

The CRGS sixth form (largest in the country) does take in a lot of people from the whole of East Lancashire.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The key word was 'often'. You cant say that there aren't children of doctors etc from the Burnley area who attend your school.
I didn't actually use the word often but you are right, another of my friends from Burnley is a millionaire. But there are people from more disadvantaged backgrounds.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (530)
66.75%
No (264)
33.25%

Watched Threads