This discussion is closed.
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
The key word was 'often'. You cant say that there aren't children of doctors etc from the Burnley area who attend your school.
But isn't that good? A school full of poorer children is just as bad as a school full millionaires children. It's very good that there is a mix.
yawn1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
I didn't actually use the word often but you are right, another of my friends from Burnley is a millionaire. But there are people from more disadvantaged backgrounds.
Your 'friend is a millionaire' or the mother/father of your friend is one?
Thank you LH - you have just confirmed my main reason against grammars! Well done!
My main reason for opposing grammars as I have stated on many occasions is that the pro-selection lobby say they give an opportunity to working class kids to get a decent(?) education. I have always maintained this is not the case as the entry to them has been 'stolen' by the wealthy (with the very odd exception) to get an education for free when they are well able to pay for the privilege. Hence, my lack of opposition to fee-paying schools.
I truly believe that if this government are not to be downright hypocritical by their actions in doing away with 'assisted places' as they said the scheme had been abused by the wealthy, then in the same way they should close down the grammars for the same reason. If people want grammars to stay let them become fee-paying.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
Your 'friend is a millionaire' or the mother/father of your friend is one?
Thank you LH - you have just confirmed my main reason against grammars! Well done!
My main reason for opposing grammars as I have stated on many occasions is that the pro-selection lobby say they give an opportunity to working class kids to get a decent(?) education. I have always maintained this is not the case as the entry to them has been 'stolen' by the wealthy (with the very odd exception) to get an education for free when they are well able to pay for the privilege. Hence, my lack of opposition to fee-paying schools.
I truly believe that if this government are not to be downright hypocritical by their actions in doing away with 'assisted places' as they said the scheme had been abused by the wealthy, then in the same way they should close down the grammars for the same reason. If people want grammars to stay let them become fee-paying.
Grammars should stay if only they take the best children. My mother knows someone who has a child (unsuprisingly they are rich) who went to one of the top grammar schools and yet it is very likely I will get a lot better results than him and my education will be a long long way from his. This suggests the grammars didn't take the right people on.
recurring
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
where can i find the league tables? the java on the times website doesnt work on my computer.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by recurring)
where can i find the league tables? the java on the times website doesnt work on my computer.
BBC website...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (216)
67.92%
No (102)
32.08%

Watched Threads