This discussion is closed.
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
777 at KS3 level

No, because grammars greatly improve their pupils up to KS3 but at KS4 they perform just as well - grammar schools dominate the GCSE tables.

I have never supported this 'value added' thing, I was just commenting on how anti-selection people said how brilliant it was, then it disproved them.
1) We all know why selective schools dominate the normal League Tables. It is obvious to anyone that has a simple grasp of the selection system. You can't use selective schools dominance in the regular league tables as an argument.

2) The new value-added system is much more complex, but is much fairer in analysing the system. I'll admit it has flaws, but the previous one had more numerous (more basic) flaws.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
That's what I was thinking... and I thought it were the same in science too.
They only do it in Maths now, as yawn said. I have no idea why.
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
They only do it in Maths now, as yawn said. I have no idea why.
What so English and Science only go up to level 7?

If so I am pleased with myself.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
And when I did them, you could get an 8 in English.
Irrelevant, you can't now.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
1) We all know why selective schools dominate the normal League Tables. It is obvious to anyone that has a simple grasp of the selection system. You can't use selective schools dominance in the regular league tables as an argument.

2) The new value-added system is much more complex, but is much fairer in analysing the system. I'll admit it has flaws, but the previous one had more numerous (more basic) flaws.
My point is that grammars were shown under the other value added figures to do really well with their students from KS2 to KS3, and then, as it achieves the best GCSE results in the state sector (which you reightly point out is to be expected) they clearly maintain those high standards from KS3.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
as it achieves the best GCSE results in the state sector (which you reightly point out is to be expected) they clearly maintain those high standards from KS3.
You wouldn't know this until further analysis.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Irrelevant, you can't now.
My post wasn't as irrelevant as this one
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My point is that grammars were shown under the other value added figures to do really well with their students from KS2 to KS3, and then, as it achieves the best GCSE results in the state sector (which you reightly point out is to be expected) they clearly maintain those high standards from KS3.
Oh so what you are trying to say is comprehensive students will improve rapidly from KS3 - KS4, where as grammar students maintain this high standard? Well I don't know if you are, but I would agree with my own statement.
sergio Delor
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
This forum is obviously badly thought out, in the fact that there are much more comp schools than private schools. So you are quite mistaken when you say that comp school are better.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My post wasn't as irrelevant as this one
Sorry, you conceded that you can only get a level 8 in maths. I thought your little "You could get an 8 in English when I did it" thing was implying that you didn't believe yawn1.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by sergio Delor)
This forum is obviously badly thought out, in the fact that there are much more comp schools than private schools. So you are quite mistaken when you say that comp school are better.
We aren't talking about private schools (or at least i dont think we are). I already pointed out there is more chance of comprehensives being in the top 100 as of the amount of them.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I beg of you - be coherent.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You wouldn't know this until further analysis.
But it says in the league tables: 100% A* - C for grammars.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Sorry, you conceded that you can only get a level 8 in maths. I thought your little "You could get an 8 in English when I did it" thing was implying that you didn't believe yawn1.
You are forgiven.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
We aren't talking about private schools (or at least i dont think we are). I already pointed out there is more chance of comprehensives being in the top 100 as of the amount of them.
Which is clearly countered by the fact that Grammars only take the top 25% of students. Can you really not see this?

I am surprised that there are any Comps in the top 100.
Dil
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeh but surely grammar schools are better. Rather than having been "pushed through" the education system as is the case in private school pupils, grammar school pupils have to work with their natural talent to achieve their grades.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
But it says in the league tables: 100% A* - C for grammars.

Which is, statistically, to be expected of a Grammar.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Which is clearly countered by the fact that Grammars only take the top 25% of students. Can you really not see this?

I am surprised that there are any Comps in the top 100.
Yes, but the tables aren't about who gets a full set of A*s, it's about the best improvement. Correct me if I'm wrong.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Which is, statistically, to be expected of a Grammar.
Of course, but my point is the other statistics show grammars add lots of value from KS2 to KS3 and, because they then go on to get 100% A*-c and loads of people with As and A*s, they maintain their high standards.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes, but the tables aren't about who gets a full set of A*s, it's about the best improvement. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yet again a lack of communication. I thought you were referring to the actual League tables.

These new results show what was suspected by most experts. i.e. There is little difference in performance between the top Grammars and the top comps. However, the existence of Grammars causes many bog-standard Comps (which is why they should be abolished).
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (151)
60.89%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.44%
No- I want it (69)
27.82%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.85%

Watched Threads