The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Bigcnee
Yet again a lack of communication. I thought you were referring to the actual League tables.

These new results show what was suspected by most experts. i.e. There is little difference in performance between the top Grammars and the top comps. However, the existence of Grammars causes many bog-standard Comps (which is why they should be abolished).

Oooh sorry.

Agreed, burn them all.
Reply 81
Lord Huntroyde
Of course, but my point is the other statistics show grammars add lots of value from KS2 to KS3 and, because they then go on to get 100% A*-c and loads of people with As and A*s, they maintain their high standards.

Most grammars don't get 100% A-C (which they should do).
Reply 82
Bigcnee
Most grammars don't get 100% A-C (which they should do).

A lot do, but I agree under performing grammars shoudl probably be comprehended.
Reply 83
How do GCSE points work anyway
well my school had 46% A*-C and Average GCSE/GNVQ point score per person 33.3.

What does that mean?
Reply 84
Lord Huntroyde
A lot do, but I agree under performing grammars shoudl probably be comprehended.

My point is that my area has quite a few (three in Thanet) Grammars, in which they are doing badly.
Kent has the highest proportion of Grammars and is the worst performing LEA.

If Grammars are not suitable for wide-scale use (which they are clearly not) then their existence as a form of education is seriously undermined.
viviki
How do GCSE points work anyway
well my school had 46% A*-C and Average GCSE/GNVQ point score per person 33.3.

What does that mean?

8 points per A*
7 points per A
6 points per B

etc.

so you could say everyone left with 4 A* grades and 1 G... which probably didn't happen.
Reply 86
Wow thats pretty bad isnt it?
viviki
Wow thats pretty bad isnt it?

I know of a lot worse. So it isn't really because you could say everyone achieved 6 C grades.
Reply 88
Harry Potter
I am pointing out the faults with measuring the improvement from KS3 to KS4. Unfortunately that's pretty much all I can do, since I only have basic information about how the tables are calculated. Surely it makes far more sense to measure improvement from when students first enter the school, not halfway through it, since the rate of improvement ('adding value') is not likely to be constant.

Anyway, even if these tables were absolutely fair and still showed that grammar schools scored about the same as comprehensives, it certainly wouldn't spell the end for selective schools. Different schools are suited to teaching different types of pupils. I think most of those who have attended grammar schools would agree that they received a better education than they would if they had attended a comprehensive with very low-calibre students but a higher value added score.

So kids at comps are 'very low-calibre' are they... So i'm taking it you think becuase you're at a grammar school you're better than kids who go to a comp? So would a 'low-calibre student' get a 7, E.P, E.P at KS3? Just because someone goes to a comp doesn't make them any less intelligent than someone at a grammar, but I guess you think otherwise...
Reply 89
Bigcnee
My point is that my area has quite a few (three in Thanet) Grammars, in which they are doing badly.
Kent has the highest proportion of Grammars and is the worst performing LEA.

If Grammars are not suitable for wide-scale use (which they are clearly not) then their existence as a form of education is seriously undermined.

I think Kent has too many grammars, an area should only really have one.
me!
So kids at comps are 'very low-calibre' are they... So i'm taking it you think becuase you're at a grammar school you're better than kids who go to a comp? So would a 'low-calibre student' get a 7, E.P, E.P at KS3? Just because someone goes to a comp doesn't make them any less intelligent than someone at a grammar, but I guess you think otherwise...

A comprehensive kid learns a lot more about life. Although obviously there are some very intelligent people who go to grammars as there is in comprehensives.
Reply 91
Lord Huntroyde
I think Kent has too many grammars, an area should only really have one.

Even in areas with one grammar school disruption to others is caused.

I know there are some excellent grammars, and it would be a shame to see them go, but for the good of the majority, they have to.
Bigcnee
Even in areas with one grammar school disruption to others is caused.

I know there are some excellent grammars, and it would be a shame to see them go, but for the good of the majority, they have to.

Would you feel any different if you attended a grammar school yourself ( I'm assuming you didn't attend one).
Reply 93
happysunshine
That's what I was thinking... and I thought it were the same in science too.

you can get E.P's (exceptional performance) as well, in all 3 subjects by taking extension papers
me!
you can get E.P's (exceptional performance) as well, in all 3 subjects by taking extension papers

Wouldn't have heard of it since I'm at a non-selective state school.
Reply 95
If we didn't have grammars, there'd be no David Starkey.

Think about that.
Lord Huntroyde
David Starkey.

Can't of been that exceptional, I've never heard of him.
Reply 97
happysunshine
Would you feel any different if you attended a grammar school yourself ( I'm assuming you didn't attend one).

Maybe I wouldn't be as aware of their effects.
I did pass my 11+ in case anyone is thinking that i'm bitter, which is far from the truth.
Reply 98
me!

I don't think you can any more...

But who cares about SATs? (bar the governement)
Bigcnee
Maybe I wouldn't be as aware of their effects.
I did pass my 11+ in case anyone is thinking that i'm bitter, which is far from the truth.

Well that's very good then :smile:

*I'm nearly at 1000 posts!*

Latest

Trending

Trending