This discussion is closed.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
Can't of been that exceptional, I've never heard of him.
Dr David Starkey, professor of History at Cambridge and was on Question Time last night.
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Wouldn't have heard of it since I'm at a non-selective state school.
So is mine... it's about 2nd from bottom of the league table for my borough... But Ii'm nto sure if they still have the extension papers after reading this thread
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
Dr David Starkey, professor of History at Cambridge and was on Question Time last night.
History professors do little for society.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
History professors do little for society.
They inform and educate.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
They inform and educate.
So does the professor for media studies.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
So does the professor for media studies.
But not to the masses, unlike Sr Starkey. I can't believe you've never heard of him.
George-W-Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
everybody knows who david starkey, hes an historic god!
George-W-Duck
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i think i missed out an 'is' there in my unnatural excitement at david starkey!
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
Indeed. If David Starkey is the best product of a grammar school then they should be scrapped immediatly.
I see Stonyhurst has been beaten by CRGS and BRGS again!

I think it was even beaten by St Augustine's this time, wasn't it?
George-W-Duck
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
and St Trinians...
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by George-W-Duck)
and St Trinians...
...amd LBGS and LGGS.

I think it was even baten by QEGS!
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
...amd LBGS and LGGS.

I think it was even baten by QEGS!
Fancy that. :rolleyes:
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I see Stonyhurst has been beaten by CRGS and BRGS again!

I think it was even beaten by St Augustine's this time, wasn't it?
Lol. You make me laugh boy. Exams grades count for nothing in the real world. I dont think you need telling the amount of sucessful people from Stonyhurst compared to all those schools put together. Stonyhurst gives a rounded education whereas CRGS and BRGS certainly do not! Although The Bowen did teach at St Augustines, now he is a LEGEND.

You forgot to mention the fact that Stonyhurst refuses to withdraw pupils from exams even if they are likey to fail because it cares about the individual. CRGS and BRGS certainly dont employ this strategy.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
Fancy that. :rolleyes:
Joey Johns will know what I mean.

QEGS!
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Lol. You make me laugh boy. Exams grades count for nothing in the real world. I dont think you need telling the amount of sucessful people from Stonyhurst compared to all those schools put together. Stonyhurst gives a rounded education whereas CRGS and BRGS certainly do not! Although The Bowen did teach at St Augustines, now he is a LEGEND.

You forgot to mention the fact that Stonyhurst refuses to withdraw pupils from exams even if they are likey to fail because it cares about the individual. CRGS and BRGS certainly dont employ this strategy.
Well I've never known CRGS withdraw anyone from exams.

Stonyhurst only thrived as a public school when they were the only ways of actually being successful, but things are changing now. Stonyhurst offers a very low standard of education for the money you pay and grades do count for a lot in the real world - unless, of course, you count on your daddy or one of his friends giving you a job.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
And I'd like you to explain why BRGS and CRGS don't give well-rounded educations - I would argue theirs are much more rounded that Stonyhurst's, maybe, for a start, you live in the real world whilst you attend it.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well I've never known CRGS withdraw anyone from exams.

Stonyhurst only thrived as a public school when they were the only ways of actually being successful, but things are changing now. Stonyhurst offers a very low standard of education for the money you pay and grades do count for a lot in the real world - unless, of course, you count on your daddy or one of his friends giving you a job.

Lol so Chris Morris isnt a satarical genius then? Iain Balshaw, Kyran Bracken, Will Greenwood are just wasted on you then? Name anyone remotely famous from CRGS from the last 30 years. You cannot.

Why is that? CRGS is an exam factory. Exams get you no where in life. Its harsh but the old saying its who you know and not what you know that counts in life is still very true. Its harsh but lifes a ****house.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
And I'd like you to explain why BRGS and CRGS don't give well-rounded educations - I would argue theirs are much more rounded that Stonyhurst's, maybe, for a start, you live in the real world whilst you attend it.
Lol. Seen as you do lots of sport, pastoral activites etc etc. I dont think so, you dont even have a rugby team thats how pitiful the situation is.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Lol so Chris Morris isnt a satarical genius then? Iain Balshaw, Kyran Bracken, Will Greenwood are just wasted on you then? Name anyone remotely famous from CRGS from the last 30 years. You cannot.

Why is that? CRGS is an exam factory. Exams get you no where in life. Its harsh but the old saying its who you know and not what you know that counts in life is still very true. Its harsh but lifes a ****house.
There is quite a famous politics reporter from the North West who attended CRGS. A Director of PwC attended CRGS. Captain Cook's reight hand man attended CRGS. One of the first people to reach the North Pole attended CRGS.

I haven't included any rugby players, we haven't excelled in that field.

Though CRGS certainly isn't an eam factory.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Joey Johns will know what I mean.

QEGS!
Wheres LGS in the table?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (477)
59.48%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.36%
No- I want it (229)
28.55%
No- I don't want it (53)
6.61%

Watched Threads