Turn on thread page Beta

GCSE league tables watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Lol. Seen as you do lots of sport, pastoral activites etc etc. I dont think so, you dont even have a rugby team thats how pitiful the situation is.
    Our Rugby team did very well last year, it reached the lancashire stage and we have three people who play for Lancashire.

ReputationRep:
    We're also the best school at skiing in the whole of Great Britain and one of the best in Europe, so don't say anything about sport and pastoral activities, we have plenty of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    We're also the best school at skiing in the whole of Great Britain and one of the best in Europe, so don't say anything about sport and pastoral activities, we have plenty of it.
    Wow... bigtime British sports, I see.

I can't believe Balshaw went to Stonyhurst. He is my idol.

(I saw Mike Tindall in town today!)

ReputationRep:
    Of course, but my point is the other statistics show grammars add lots of value from KS2 to KS3 and, because they then go on to get 100% A*-c and loads of people with As and A*s, they maintain their high standards.
    If you take a typical grammar school student who gets 7,7,8 let's say (I don't know the actual figures) at KS3 and then gets a clutch of As and A*s then this would be a jump of 2ish levels. The typical student at a comp school may well get 566 at KS3 and go on to get Cs. Someone who achieves a higher grade at GCSE has increased their grade across their education far more than someone who gets a lower grade. I can appreciate, though not necessarily agree, with the argument that their is accelerated learning in grammars in KS3 but the highest grade you can get is 8 (ignoring EP in maths) and these people would be expected to get A*s. I'd argue that many private schools don't care about KS3 (do Leeds Grammar and Leeds Girls' High do KS3 SATs even? Help me out here 2779 please. And fair do's these are private, not grammar) but would like to see statistics on this, as I'm fairly sure the value added system takes into account the difference between a C grade and an A* grade.

Grammar schools do exceptionally with their students, but they do get the best (as they select) and the system has to take this into account in some way to somehow tabulate the relative effectiveness of a school.

I'd argue to take it further and bias the system against people who have achieved higher grades at KS2 as you would expect these people to continue their learning at this accelerated rate.

ReputationRep:
    God, i'm sorry I didnt know there was journalists who went to CRGS. They rank high, very high.

I'm sorry but most of the people there are in the days when, like you said, going to CRGS was a must to get ahead in life. That no longer applies today.
    No, what no longer applies is going to a public school. CRGS is a much more successful school than Stonyhurst on the whole, and it offers it for free. It is steeped in tradition and has very fine academics teaching at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Wow... bigtime British sports, I see.

I can't believe Balshaw went to Stonyhurst. He is my idol.

(I saw Mike Tindall in town today!)
    British school skiing is very competitive, it is the first time this year that an English school has won it in decades.

Well the vast majority of British rugby players went to public schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meepmeep)
    I'd argue that many private schools don't care about KS3 (do Leeds Grammar and Leeds Girls' High do KS3 SATs even? Help me out here 2779 please. And fair do's these are private, not grammar) but would like to see statistics on this, as I'm fairly sure the value added system takes into account the difference between a C grade and an A* grade.
    They don't do SATS. Though they do big internal exams every summer anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776 2)
    They don't do SATS. Though they do big internal exams every summer anyway.
    So that's why they didn't have a rank on the VAS system in the YEP league tables.

ReputationRep:
    British school skiing is very competitive, it is the first time this year that an English school has won it in decades.
    More competitive than rugby?

ReputationRep:
    I think Lord Huntroyde is looking for statistics he can use.

ReputationRep:
    What and Stonyhurst isnt steeped in tradition? Lol, your on glue boy.

What do yo measure as successful? lol.
    Stonyhurst is actually quite a new school, I believe it was founded in France?

And then moved up here to compete with the already centuries old CRGS.

We may not have ex-rugby players, but we have people in areas of real influence, for instance, the head of the biggest law firm in the North West attended CRGS as well as a director of PwC, as I mentioned. But I suppose they pale into insignificance when compared with Fred Greenwood or whoever...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    I think Lord Huntroyde is looking for statistics he can use.
    You're of a very odd character, Mr Nee, and I can't work you out.

You are avidly against grammar schools, but seem to support private schools and would rather defend this person's public school than an excellent state school.

ReputationRep:
    This looks like a bit of a show off thread.

ReputationRep:
    But not to the masses, unlike Sr Starkey. I can't believe you've never heard of him.
    No one has heard of him, so don't make it sound like I'm the odd one out. If I saw a picture of him then maybe I'd know who he is. History professors really mean/do little.

ReputationRep:

You are avidly against grammar schools, but seem to support private schools and would rather defend this person's public school than an excellent state school.
    I can't let that observation go unanswered LH!
    Some people have no problem with private education - if folks choose to spend their money in this way that's fine.
    However, some people will pay for their sprogs to get into a grammar (by way of private primary or private tutoring) so as they can then get what they perceive as an equivalent education for free. Therein lies the ethical dilemma.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    I can't let that observation go unanswered LH!
    Some people have no problem with private education - if folks choose to spend their money in this way that's fine.
    However, some people will pay for their sprogs to get into a grammar (by way of private primary or private tutoring) so as they can then get what they perceive as an equivalent education for free. Therein lies the ethical dilemma.
    I forgot to mention in my previous reply that opponents to grammar schools are against them because of their divisive nature within the communities in which they exist. This does not apply to fee-paying schools.

ReputationRep:

Private schools actually help things, whereas grammars don't. simple.

(Original post by me!)
    So kids at comps are 'very low-calibre' are they... So i'm taking it you think becuase you're at a grammar school you're better than kids who go to a comp? So would a 'low-calibre student' get a 7, E.P, E.P at KS3? Just because someone goes to a comp doesn't make them any less intelligent than someone at a grammar, but I guess you think otherwise...
    If you got 7, E.P., E.P., that's very good. I'm sorry if my post was offensive. When I said comps have 'lower-calibre' students I just meant that grammar schools have more intelligent students on average, because they only take the top 25%. Obviously, it would be ridiculous to make generalizations about individual students at comprehensives, especially since most areas don't have any grammar schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    No one has heard of him, so don't make it sound like I'm the odd one out. If I saw a picture of him then maybe I'd know who he is. History professors really mean/do little.
    Loads of people have heard of him. You must have seen one of his programmes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Private schools actually help things, whereas grammars don't. simple.
    How do they 'help things'? That is an incredibly vague statement.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.