The Student Room Group

AS Maths - How to solve 125^1/3 (125 to power of 1/3)?

How the hec do you solve that? What is the equation called? I haven't ordered my Maths AS course yet but I'm doing some revision of the books beforehand, and checking out past exam papers, and one of the past exam papers the first question was:

Find the value of 125^1/3 (I can't make that 1/3 tiny in the corner on my screen).

I know I sound stupid, I'm just started out though & did GCSE maths a while back. I'm good at maths, when I know how to solve the equation and what it is!
Reply 1
Power/Root

That's how I look at it.

so 125 to the power of 1, then cube rooted. Thus the answer is 5.
cube root.
Reply 3
in the christmas song with the partridge in a pear tree, how many golden rings were there?

bam, thats ur answer
Reply 4
LOL cube root
Reply 5
It's 5!
5 x 5 x 5 = 125
cube root of 125 or 125 ^ 1/3 = 5
Reply 7
125^1/3 is the same as 'find the cube root of 125'.

Which is 5.
Reply 8
The answer is 5.
Reply 9
but what if it didnt come naturally to you, and you had no calculator? i certainly would have no clue
Reply 10
are you looking for a general way to solve cube root problems or just looking for a specific answer to cube root of 125?
Reply 11
It's 5.
Reply 12
giran
Power/Root

That's how I look at it.

so 125 to the power of 1, then cube rooted. Thus the answer is 5.

Actually this is a much better explanation.
cleashy
in the christmas song with the partridge in a pear tree, how many golden rings were there?

bam, thats ur answer

Ah, if only exams had hints and tips next to the question.
Reply 14
carlylwright
Ah, if only exams had hints and tips next to the question.

specifically Christmas song based of course :yep:
Reply 15
Thanks guys this really helped. I will need to know how to solve cube roots generally yeah. My course materials should be here in ten days though!

So 8 to the 1/3 would be 8 to the power of 1 cube rooted = 2?

It just get's tricky when its 125 to the -2/3 or whatever the next question was!! Nevermind I'll get there with practice.
Reply 16
akemikat
Thanks guys this really helped. I will need to know how to solve cube roots generally yeah. My course materials should be here in ten days though!

So 8 to the 1/3 would be 8 to the power of 1 cube rooted = 2?

It just get's tricky when its 125 to the -2/3 or whatever the next question was!! Nevermind I'll get there with practice.

Yes, 8^1/3 = 2.
I want a method where there is no calculator for 125^2/3 . plz help
Reply 18
Original post by sanah_14
I want a method where there is no calculator for 125^2/3 . plz help

This is a very old thread. Please start a new one.
Please solve this problem

Quick Reply

Latest