This discussion is closed.
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
George Bush has done some pretty silly things in his time in office, but this is up there with them. He's pledging to spend One Trillion Dollars on space exploration. Why?!? That amount could go towards much better uses such as: curing aids, getting rid of third world debt, making sure no-one on this planet goes hungry, he could buy his own oil so he doesn't have to invade other countries for it.

I'm all for exploration but this is just getting rather silly. He should first of all fix things on this planet before going off to ruin another planet.
El_Borish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
isn't $1,ooo,ooo,ooo,ooo (thats right, $1T) just UNDER the amount of the entire third world debt? surely he would go down in history a lot better than space exploration? although, with the american economy like it is at the moment, they can't stand to lose that muh money in ridiculous interest payments! *sigh*
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
There must be an overwhelming stench of testoterone flying around the Bush family!! George dubya is again trying to out do his father's efforts whilst he was president. According to sources at BBC, Bush snr. had to draw back from exploration of Mars during his time in White House because of the cost. It don't seem to matter to his little boyo that the country has a massive deficit budget - just as long as he outdoes daddy. Another example of the 'mature judgement' of a fool?
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
its an attempt to get the american people to wave their flags harder-zealous pride in the countries space exploration history. just in time for next years elections...

could be worse mind...a trillion dollars was the defense budget of the US during the height of the cold war.

Bush has more important things to worry about than space exploration. the war in iraqi and terrorism for example, their environmental policies, etc etc
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by El_Borish)
isn't $1,ooo,ooo,ooo,ooo (thats right, $1T) just UNDER the amount of the entire third world debt? surely he would go down in history a lot better than space exploration?
probably not no. he has pledged millions to Africa and noone cares.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
George Bush has done some pretty silly things in his time in office, but this is up there with them.
can u name them?

He's pledging to spend One Trillion Dollars on space exploration. Why?!? That amount could go towards much better uses such as: curing aids,
he is spending over 30billion on AIDS in Africa alone.

getting rid of third world debt,
debt is debt. writing off some of this in goodwill gestures should be welcomed but letting underdeveloped countries consistently misuse aid and borrowed money is not acceptable or economically viable.

making sure no-one on this planet goes hungry, he could buy his own oil so he doesn't have to invade other countries for it.
the US is heavily involved in GM crops. where do you put 1trillion dollars worth of oil?

I'm all for exploration but this is just getting rather silly. He should first of all fix things on this planet before going off to ruin another planet.
ruin another one? we know your stance then...
Dude
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
can u name them?

he is spending over 30billion on AIDS in Africa alone.

debt is debt. writing off some of this in goodwill gestures should be welcomed but letting underdeveloped countries consistently misuse aid and borrowed money is not acceptable or economically viable.

the US is heavily involved in GM crops. where do you put 1trillion dollars worth of oil?

ruin another one? we know your stance then...
"claps". well said. have some rep.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
There must be an overwhelming stench of testoterone flying around the Bush family!! George dubya is again trying to out do his father's efforts whilst he was president.
or a fascination for the achievements and ability of man.
no other US presidents have ever had the desire for space exploration? how do you think they got to the moon?

According to sources at BBC, Bush snr. had to draw back from exploration of Mars during his time in White House because of the cost. It don't seem to matter to his little boyo that the country has a massive deficit budget - just as long as he outdoes daddy. Another example of the 'mature judgement' of a fool?
Bush has pledged his interest into space exploration and his desire for the world to go where it never has. what other benefits are there from risking financial instability? he wants to spend consistenly in order to make fiction a reality.
what would be your opinion were the americans to reach mars or permanently settle on the moon?
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I know what your stance is too Vienna and i know that arguing with you is not going to change your point of view, so i'm not even going to bother wasting my time arguing today as i have work to do. Any sane person could see that spending 1 trillion dollars on space exploration, when there is so much wrong in the world that we live in today is completely wrong, and Bush seriously needs to get his priorities right.
El_Borish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
listening to vienna sometimes makes me think of a religious dilemma:

is something good because god commands it, or does god command it because it is good?

*substitute god for bush*

problem: if something is good because *bush* commands it, he can say whatever he likes and never be wrong, thus devaluing any other moral stance but his own.

if he commands it becuase it is good, it means that anyone else SHOULD come to the same conclusion. thus devalusing the existance of Bush

in other words: Bush is not god. Surprised?
El_Borish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
probably not no. he has pledged millions to Africa and noone cares.
...millions to africa *at high interest rate, knowing it will continue to cripple them, and with som pretty hairy conditions to do with not advertising condoms etc.*
kyuuki
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
how much interest a month would he earn if he were to put it in a bank? out of interest
maljosh
Report 16 years ago
i really think it is time for inflation in the us... all we gotta do is persuade all the countries in the world to collect US Dollars and send them to the US... hehe

Americans are too arrogant... sometimes they are just going too far! 3 World War is inevitable...
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
I know what your stance is too Vienna and i know that arguing with you is not going to change your point of view, so i'm not even going to bother wasting my time arguing today as i have work to do. Any sane person could see that spending 1 trillion dollars on space exploration, when there is so much wrong in the world that we live in today is completely wrong, and Bush seriously needs to get his priorities right.
surely you miss the point of a forum. you are not arguing to change my mind, but to broaden ur own and express ur opinions. one of the ways you achieve that is through justification of ur comments. dismissing a trillion dollars over a 20yr period to take human kind to Mars as a waste based on the fact you dont like Bush is senseless.

you think money will rid us of the problems in the middle east? or the chaos in African governance? id like to hear your views on why the American taxpayer should throw money at problems that are not willing to solve themselves. let alone, whether they have the obligation to help in the first place.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
listening to vienna sometimes makes me think of a religious dilemma:

is something good because god commands it, or does god command it because it is good?

*substitute god for bush*

problem: if something is good because *bush* commands it, he can say whatever he likes and never be wrong, thus devaluing any other moral stance but his own.

if he commands it becuase it is good, it means that anyone else SHOULD come to the same conclusion. thus devalusing the existance of Bush

in other words: Bush is not god. Surprised?
i dont understand the relevance of any of that...
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
...millions to africa *at high interest rate, knowing it will continue to cripple them, and with som pretty hairy conditions to do with not advertising condoms etc.*
erm, interest rate? what?

Bush pledged billions to Africa, but wanted assurances that abstention would be the method promoted as the best way to combat the disease.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
George Bush has done some pretty silly things in his time in office, but this is up there with them. He's pledging to spend One Trillion Dollars on space exploration. Why?!? That amount could go towards much better uses such as: curing aids, getting rid of third world debt, making sure no-one on this planet goes hungry, he could buy his own oil so he doesn't have to invade other countries for it.

Sure. And who's money is he spending? Erm......the US taxpayers. Do they want to spend this money on putting a man on Mars? No

But neither, I'd hazard a guess do they want their tax dollars to be used to wipe out someone else's debt or to feed the entire world.

Why would they? There are 42 million Americans without health coverage. If little Bush want's to spend that much money he should start by looking after his own people. Period
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)

What is out in space which is worth so much to explore?
I mean, does he expect to find some sort of new resources or something up there?
Is he going to make some sort of tourism to out in space, charging rich fools millions or something?
No, i doubt it.
Is it worth one trillion dollars to find out whether there is life on mars?
to build a space station on the moon?
No, it is not.
America is in an economic crisis at the moment, so this is not the time to be spending money on this sort of scheme. When the US economy recovers, that is the time to work on this sort of mission, but while there are so many problems, this decision is just stupid, if it is anything more than an election ploy.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by maljosh)
Americans are too arrogant... sometimes they are just going too far! 3 World War is inevitable...
where are you from?
all americans are arrogant? hello Mr.Xenophobe,any racism in you?
WW3 , haha, dont make me laugh, against who? the martians!
El_Borish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
erm, interest rate? what?

Bush pledged billions to Africa, but wanted assurances that abstention would be the method promoted as the best way to combat the disease.
you think its reasonable to ask people simply not to have sex? i feel thius is unlikely. apart from that, the cheapest, most effective, available (in countries where the church doesnt hold a death-grip) prevention is condoms: the only viable options. to ask for them not to be promoted in return for high interest is a double hit. the lon cripples the country, and the non-prevention of the disease cripples the people. i dont think bush is anti-africa, i just think he lets his religious beliefs come into his decision making too much, causing him to make what would otherwise seem to be unjust decisions.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (219)
68.22%
No (102)
31.78%

Watched Threads