This discussion is closed.
Vienna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Sure. And who's money is he spending? Erm......the US taxpayers. Do they want to spend this money on putting a man on Mars? No

But neither, I'd hazard a guess do they want their tax dollars to be used to wipe out someone else's debt or to feed the entire world.

Why would they? There are 42 million Americans without health coverage. If little Bush want's to spend that much money he should start by looking after his own people. Period
thats my stance. its americas money, if its a viable proposition and has public backing then i think it would be fabulous.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)
What is out in space which is worth so much to explore?
I mean, does he expect to find some sort of new resources or something up there?
Is he going to make some sort of tourism to out in space, charging rich fools millions or something?
No, i doubt it.
Is it worth one trillion dollars to find out whether there is life on mars?
to build a space station on the moon?
No, it is not.
dear o dear. some people dont share your lack of ambition or enthousiasm.

America is in an economic crisis at the moment, so this is not the time to be spending money on this sort of scheme. When the US economy recovers, that is the time to work on this sort of mission, but while there are so many problems, this decision is just stupid, if it is anything more than an election ploy.
economic CRISIS?? growth of 8.2% haha, are you kidding??!! they didnt even have a recession during the slump...so how can this be a crisis?
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
thats my stance. its americas money, if its a viable proposition and has public backing then i think it would be fabulous.
Well, meeting the blackhole in health care is most assuredly not viable and wouldn't get public backing.

But, if it was both of those things then I'd have thought spending a trillion on health care in their own country would be the preference of almost every American in the country (not including the People's Republic of California)
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
dear o dear. some people dont share your lack of ambition or enthousiasm.
I do actually like the idea of exploring space. But i think that it should be started at a suitable time, as its motives aren't for the needs of the american people, or for the world. It is an exercise in showing how america want's power over everything, even space.

economic CRISIS?? growth of 8.2% haha, are you kidding??!! they didnt even have a recession during the slump...so how can this be a crisis?
Yeah, but only in the third quarter. And with the unemployment rate getting worse, and hardly any jobs being created in the US in response, that figure does not represent the true state of the US economy, and the growth figures will certainly fall significantly.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I do actually like the idea of exploring space. But i think that it should be started at a suitable time, as its motives aren't for the needs of the american people, or for the world. It is an exercise in showing how america want's power over everything, even space.

Yeah, but only in the third quarter. And with the unemployment rate getting worse, and hardly any jobs being created in the US in response, that figure does not represent the true state of the US economy, and the growth figures will certainly fall significantly.
Growth 8.6%

Watch the Dow/Nasdaq/S&P last year? Not exactly flat lining!

Exchange rate? The weakest dollar in years enabling massive investment from overseas.

Job creation rate sluggish but growing and certainly not "getting worse"

This is NOT an economy in crisis!
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Someone asked about stupid things done by Bush, here are a couple of interesting quotes :

"We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a part of NATO. We have a firm commitment to Europe. We are a part of Europe."
...George W. Bush

"Quite frankly, teachers are the only profession that teach our children."
...George W. Bush, 9/18/95

It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it."
...George W. Bush

"[It's] time for the human race to enter the solar system."
...George W. Bush

"Public speaking is very easy." ...George W. Bush to reporters

http://www.mikehersh.com/printer_105.shtml

And I'm not even mentioning that he got almost killed by a PRETZEL.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Growth 8.6%

Watch the Dow/Nasdaq/S&P last year? Not exactly flat lining!

Exchange rate? The weakest dollar in years enabling massive investment from overseas.

Job creation rate sluggish but growing and certainly not "getting worse"

This is NOT an economy in crisis!
Well okay..., i concede the point.
But there are alot of problems in america currently, and surely they should be invested in rather than a space mission!
B00kwOrm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Before I read the newspaper this morning, I thought politicians and especially Mr Bush couldn't say anything more stupid than they did the day before. A quick look at the first page proved me wrong.

I think Bush simply doesn't have the money (after all, the US government as well as the states are in debt, added to that comes the war in Iraq, home defence and military expenditure costs as well as his tay cuts). Also, I seriously doubt that this will go through Congress.

If I were a Martian sitting on my planet looking down on earth, I'd be laughing my head off. Since I am not, I find all this quite worrying. Not only do politicians not do their job properly, but their proposals are getting more insane by the day. I watched a TV programme on NASA last summer and I had the feeling that the people there had watched Star Trek and Star Wars too much. Not the kind of people I'd give large amounts of money to.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well okay..., i concede the point.
But there are alot of problems in america currently, and surely they should be invested in rather than a space mission!
Which was exactly what I said above.
Tobias
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
he is spending over 30billion on AIDS in Africa alone.
Have you evidence of this? (I'm not contradicting you, just surprised)
MattG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
heres bush's speech on it if you're interested:

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/TECH/spa...ipt/index.html
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
heres bush's speech on it if you're interested:

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/TECH/spa...ipt/index.html
You serious?
He managed all those big words!
Or was that the edited for making sense version?
El_Borish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
LOL!
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Eternal Idol)
Someone asked about stupid things done by Bush, here are a couple of interesting quotes :

"We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a part of NATO. We have a firm commitment to Europe. We are a part of Europe."
...George W. Bush

"Quite frankly, teachers are the only profession that teach our children."
...George W. Bush, 9/18/95

It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it."
...George W. Bush

"[It's] time for the human race to enter the solar system."
...George W. Bush

"Public speaking is very easy." ...George W. Bush to reporters

http://www.mikehersh.com/printer_105.shtml

And I'm not even mentioning that he got almost killed by a PRETZEL.
i was thinking more of significant mistakes, like, ooh for instance, policies????
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You serious?
Or was that the edited for making sense version?
although, he knows an economic crisis when he sees one...
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i was thinking more of significant mistakes, like, ooh for instance, policies????

And who cares about what you think?
I don't give a **** for fascists.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, meeting the blackhole in health care is most assuredly not viable and wouldn't get public backing.

But, if it was both of those things then I'd have thought spending a trillion on health care in their own country would be the preference of almost every American in the country (not including the People's Republic of California)
i would think so to, but youd be surprised. its a tough argument but a subject that appeals to the americans sense of acheivement and ambition, and one that is not an impossibility. although, the project timescale is likely to dampen any immeadiate enthousiasm..
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by B00kwOrm)
Before I read the newspaper this morning, I thought politicians and especially Mr Bush couldn't say anything more stupid than they did the day before. A quick look at the first page proved me wrong.

I think Bush simply doesn't have the money (after all, the US government as well as the states are in debt, added to that comes the war in Iraq, home defence and military expenditure costs as well as his tay cuts). Also, I seriously doubt that this will go through Congress.

If I were a Martian sitting on my planet looking down on earth, I'd be laughing my head off. Since I am not, I find all this quite worrying. Not only do politicians not do their job properly, but their proposals are getting more insane by the day. I watched a TV programme on NASA last summer and I had the feeling that the people there had watched Star Trek and Star Wars too much. Not the kind of people I'd give large amounts of money to.
are you German or living in Germany?
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Eternal Idol)
And who cares about what you think?
I don't give a **** for fascists.
another fantastically egredious comment from someone with a signature four times the size of his posts.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
another fantastically egredious comment from someone with a signature four times the size of his posts.
Yes, bad form.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (528)
66.75%
No (263)
33.25%

Watched Threads