One Trillion Dollars?!? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
I dont agree with spending tha much at this current moment in time but...

At some point in the distant future humans will have to think very serious about space exploration. There will come a time when we will have to leave Earth or become extinct. Its that simple and thats proven scientific fact.
No it isn't.
Bhaal85
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
George Bush has done some pretty silly things in his time in office, but this is up there with them. He's pledging to spend One Trillion Dollars on space exploration. Why?!?
Let's face it, a trillion $ in today's terms is pocket change, seriously what could you do with one trillion $, apart from get a trillion $ mix-up?
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
No it isn't.
Lol. Yes it is. The sun is a star. Stars die. No light = no food = no life. Gradually over time the earth is being sucked towards the sun and will eventually be disintigrated by it. An alternative would be if an asteriod hit the earth which would have the same effects and block out the sun.

I'm not well up on the subject but I know its fact.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
Lol. Yes it is. The sun is a star. Stars die. No light = no food = no life. Gradually over time the earth is being sucked towards the sun and will eventually be disintigrated by it. An alternative would be if an asteriod hit the earth which would have the same effects and block out the sun.

I'm not well up on the subject but I know its fact.
How many millions or even billions of years do we have before the sun ceases to exist or the earth is sucked into the sun?

Do you think they'll even be humans on the earth by the time that happens. Probably not, or if there are, they'll have evolved into something quite different.

I don't think we need to start setting up camp on Mars anytime soon.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
How many millions or even billions of years do we have before the sun ceases to exist or the earth is sucked into the sun?

Do you think they'll even be humans on the earth by the time that happens. Probably not, or if there are, they'll have evolved into something quite different.

I don't think we need to start setting up camp on Mars anytime soon.
Thats all ifs and buts. Yes humans will change over time but they will still be desended from humans. I believe the main concern is an asteriod. That could happen any time.

I dont think we need to do it soon. I was just pointing out that it is needed sometime in the future.
iownabox
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
Well I am an American. I wonder if I am supposed to post in a UK student forum but o well. Anyways...
Bush (even though my whole family voted for Democrat) is just trying to explore further into space. And the whole thing about contributing money to other nations, STUPID!!!!!!!! The only way that I think that we (america) should ever have to pay for anything, or even other people thinking that we need to pay for anything, is if we did something wrong to them. For example if we bombed them or something for no real reason than we should pay something like a third of the damage cost. Though my postition in Iraq is to leave them, or take them over...lol. Call me old fashioned but didnt war used to have some benefits besides pride? Like land or something. Actually Iraq should have to pay us, not the other way around.
all in all, I stand behind our president 100%. No matter what anyone else thinks. Oh yeah come to my web site. http://dividedguild.cjb.net It has things like colonization and conpiracies. and even movie reviews.
Jonatan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
George Bush has done some pretty silly things in his time in office, but this is up there with them. He's pledging to spend One Trillion Dollars on space exploration. Why?!? That amount could go towards much better uses such as: curing aids, getting rid of third world debt, making sure no-one on this planet goes hungry, he could buy his own oil so he doesn't have to invade other countries for it.

I'm all for exploration but this is just getting rather silly. He should first of all fix things on this planet before going off to ruin another planet.
Just a little comment to this space exploration is not good for anything idea. Todays telephone and TV network rely heavily on communication sattelites. These are highly advanced technological equipment put in orbit around the earth , out in SPACE. Back in the fourties noone could know that the US and Russian space programs would give rise to these technologies. Noone had even thought of teh idea to launch a sattelite into orbit. The point is that major , seemingly useless projects, tend to give rise to scientific development and new inventions. The US knows this, and their spending on scientific research and technology is one of the reasons why they have among the most powerfull economies in the world.
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Seeing as how this thread has suddenly become resurrected :rolleyes: i may as well reply.

Who cares if these space projects give rise to new inventions? What do we need them for? Why do people need another 200+ channels on top of their 500 channels of rubbish being aired to the world every minute of the day. Why do we need to distribute the lies of the media all over the world any more than they are now. It's pure pap just to fuel the american patriotism and get behind Bush for his presidential election. I'd feel safer if he invested a fraction of that in military intelligence so he actually knew what he was talking about instead of spouting off lies and then blaming the american intelligence.
fred0202
Report 14 years ago
The $1T will probably be spent over a 30 year period so that only equates to about $33B a year and that isn't a lot of money for america as their budget is $2.4T annually, so for america this isn't a lot of money.

As for this money going to help third world debt, that is a noble idea but in practice a lot of nasty dictators will get the money to buy arms, the money will not be spent on helping the sick and needy, giving them the money will probably cause more harm than good.
arabian_prince
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
surely you miss the point of a forum. you are not arguing to change my mind, but to broaden ur own and express ur opinions. one of the ways you achieve that is through justification of ur comments. dismissing a trillion dollars over a 20yr period to take human kind to Mars as a waste based on the fact you dont like Bush is senseless.

you think money will rid us of the problems in the middle east? or the chaos in African governance? id like to hear your views on why the American taxpayer should throw money at problems that are not willing to solve themselves. let alone, whether they have the obligation to help in the first place.

Actually i think money will get rid of the problems in the middle east. If US stops sendin aid to Israel (in billions of $) den mayb they will stop investin in military n stop takin over palestinian land......therefore stop terrorists fighting back ...n stop causing genocides!
JabberJaw
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
MR burns had a Trillion dollar bill, but the silly fool gave it to Castro.
Spc_K
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
or is this just bitterness because they beat you to the moon?
or was that just bitterness that we beat them into space... and even when the Cold war ended, the US scientist coming into russia found more advanced propulsion boosters technologies (for when in space) amongst other things (including scientists) they then took back with them.

(Original post by ararbian prince)
Actually i think money will get rid of the problems in the middle east. If US stops sendin aid to Israel (in billions of $) den mayb they will stop investin in military n stop takin over palestinian land......therefore stop terrorists fighting back ...n stop causing genocides!
I'm sure most people know the russian stance on Israel/Palestine. I think it's far more complicated than this side that side, but the US is largely responsible having not made sure the money originally given to Palestine wasn't just stolen by their government, so it has to help in the current mess.

Damn ********** Abramovich... putting Russia's money into Chealsea FC.

Science tends to do things, spend lots of time and effort and brains doing things, and people laugh and mock and say "bad science, silly science, waste of money science, what do we need that for science" and when uses are found for the things science discovers/makes practical, everybody doesn't recognise it as science any more.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by El_Borish)
isn't $1,ooo,ooo,ooo,ooo (thats right, $1T) just UNDER the amount of the entire third world debt? surely he would go down in history a lot better than space exploration? although, with the american economy like it is at the moment, they can't stand to lose that muh money in ridiculous interest payments! *sigh*
the idea is this
they dont give money to the developing world so the developing world has to help themselves.
they pollute the world trying to get along
the world starts to die
america has the only worthwhile space program
and colonises a world
earth die
america lives
J
"leaving, on a jet plane, dont know when ill be back again"
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (109)
19.82%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (223)
40.55%
Nope, not that interesting (218)
39.64%

Watched Threads