Maths Watch

This discussion is closed.
DavidBrent
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Do you need to do Maths A-level to go on and study Law at uni?
Lurker
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
No, why on earth would you?
ThornsnRoses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lurker)
No, why on earth would you?
it shows you have logic and reason...! but its not conpulsory
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by DavidBrent)
Other than the ability to put forward a comprehensive argument, and to solve problems, skills which are obviously useful, there is no reason why it would be compulsary to take Maths A Level to be able to study Law at University.

However, given that these skills are transferable, it would follow that Maths would be a useful subject to take.
Lurker
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I didn't mean it's not a good A level! I just meant that it has no direct link to Law and no University would think it was absolutely necessary.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well no university believes any subject is compulsory to study Law (in theory). But they look to see what skills the subjects you do have offer to you. Maths is highly recommended.
George-W-Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i do maths, chemistry, business and law at A2, i tried to get a bit of everything that they might be looking for when applying, i think the key is to have enough variation to show what qualities you have.
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by DavidBrent)
No - But Mathematics is one subject that most people should do at A-Level, its so useful and well respected.
cobra
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm agree its a good and worthwhile qualification ( i do it) but i dont hink everyone should do it, most wouldnt be able to cope and that would be pointless and the skills i find useful are ones are not the ones taught, i dont uses calculus on a regular basis outside science, but i find the useful skills are as a result of handleing numbers, i'm not great at mental arthmetic but i'm amazing compared to lots of people i go to college with who dont do maths, so while i see your point i dont think it would be the way to go as too many people would be forced to do sumthing they hated, wouldnt use and couldnt do properly just to learn skills which could be learnt other ways
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1114)
78.9%
Leave (298)
21.1%

Watched Threads