The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
sbailey
2nd year medicine at Cambridge is pretty bad in that respect too. The myth goes that it is the second hardest course in the world, based on the amount of factual content that needs to be remembered. :rolleyes: The worst is supposed to be Astrophysics at Yale. It's a great story - don't know about it being true, though!

I've heard that too, albeit from another second-year medic at Cambridge.
Reply 21
Ticki
I've heard that too, albeit from another second-year medic at Cambridge.

Exactly, lol. It's easy to be so preoccupied with the difficulty of your own course that you are taken in by these myths of greatness.
you really should choose the course before you choose the university- oxbridge might not be the bast place. also you have to envisage yourself studying at other universtites apart from oxbridge - you'd regret it if your choice of course was based on getting into oxbridge and then you didnt get in.
Reply 23
I'm not planning on applying to Oxbridge just for the kudos, but I'm having trouble trying to decide what subject/s I want to do at any university. Oxbridge is just one (or is that two?) example/s. I'm seriously considering applying to some American universities, because you don't need to decide on your major for a while...I don't feel as if I'm mature/wise enough to start thinking about what I want to do for the rest of my life!!!!!
ok im guessing you must be super rich to be able to even consider going to America to study! the course will probably become clear to you while you're in year 12 - thats what most of my friends found. You don't need to worry about it yet, you really only need to start thinking about unis after easter in year 12.
hannahbanna
ok im guessing you must be super rich to be able to even consider going to America to study! the course will probably become clear to you while you're in year 12 - thats what most of my friends found. You don't need to worry about it yet, you really only need to start thinking about unis after easter in year 12.

Some good advice there- you may find your opinions of certain subjects changing quite a bit after AS!
Reply 26
i'm not super-rich - i wish!!! american universities (the ones i've spoken to) provide really good financial aid, and i might be applying for a scholarship to one of the universities out there...
thanks so much for all your advice!
Reply 27
Regarding required A-levels: Since I'm an international student with chemistry on C-level, I'll need to upgrade my chemistry (and is currently doing so...). Would it suffice to complete the As-level, or do you need both the As and the A2?

With kind regards...
Reply 28
What subject?
Reply 29
RxB
What subject?

The subject is Physiological Sciences (medicine).

Does Oxford University, by any chance, offer a "turbo-course" prior to admission?
Reply 30
Megsy
None of you know what you're talking about, clearly. :rolleyes:

I was 14, choosing A-level options. I didn't really like any subject very much. Perhaps Maths, but no way was I doing Maths for 3 years. I had the Oxford prospectus. I was looking for the easiest route for me to get into Oxford. Law? Snore. Medicine? Urgh, you have to help people. PPE? Too...academic.

Then I found the glorious E&M. So it was decided: in three years time, I'd apply for E&M. This was gut feeling. So I decided I was going to both like and become good at Economics, business and all related areas. Get some top marks and stuff. I'm not entirely sure whether I convinced myself that I like it or whether I actually did. Either way, I like it now. I go up next week.

I'm not the first.

just out of interest... a girl in my previous school (ok, a friend! :p: ) has applied to Oxford this year. When we were discussing last year what she should apply to... someone mentioned PPE and she liked the idea... but I told her... that she might not even get an interview if she hasnt got even AS Maths... and I phoned her yesterday... and she told me she applied for E+M!!! She was so excited! But... although I didnt told her this... do you really think she has even a little chance of getting an interview?! She got in IGCSEs all A/A* but 2 Bs and one of them IN MATHS!!! She got AAAB in English Lang+Lit, French, Economics+Business and History. I'm a bit concerned that she might not even get an interview and she would fell very sad... although the written work she has to send might help her... what's your opinion? It's a very competitive course and she has B in IGCSE maths...
Her chances are pretty minimal. Although its entirely her fault for deciding to late/not reading the prospectus. She should apply next year and take maths as new subject at A2 in 2006. With possibly AEA or even further maths in year out. That will show dedication, and boy will she need it to get in for E&M.
Reply 32
I thought Oxford only accept resitters in special circumstances - or is that just non-A-level?
Reply 33
Any comment on my posts?

Furthermore, shouldn't you be as eligible to be admitted - perhaps on a "conditional" offer - as any other with AAA, if you state that you're going to upgrade any subjects that, in regard to minimum requirements, aren't on the required level?

In my case I've got chemistry on a Danish C-level (not entirely sure, if that correlates with English C-level in chem - or similar...), and is applying for medicine at Oxford. Because of their entry requirements ("Chemistry with either Maths or Biology or Physics") I'm about to enroll on a chemistry course (As+A2) with the National Extension College (British). Shouldn't this be satisfactory? (It should be noted that I have math and biology on A-level with top-grades).

However, these requirements, as outlined on http://study.medicine.ox.ac.uk/courses/preclin/entryreq.shtml, doesn't neccesarily apply to overseas applicants. Anyone with experience on this matter?
Reply 34
I'll try to answer this posts one by one! :smile:

First of all, she doesnt like Maths at all... she could have taken it to Alevel but she did not want to... and she just wants to go to Oxford... she doesnt want to do a degree... I dont know whether you understand me... she wants a university not a course! :wink: If she doesnt get into Oxford she wants to go to a private uni in Madrid called ICADE for Economics+Law (6 years = Double Honours) a very popular course here... because if you want to be a lawyer it's very difficult the companies want you without Economics or Business! Strange I know... For Law or Economics (single degree) they just ask a 5 out of 10!!! Therefore, she hasnt got any dedication for this subject at all (hopefully she doesnt know the existance of this webpage! lol!)

About resitters... I have emailed Oxford and they told me it's ok as long as I got an A in Physics (and obviously get an offer!!!) Imperial says the same... I got what they asked in the Spanish educational system... higher than 9 and I got 9.1! :smile:

"Furthermore, shouldn't you be as eligible to be admitted - perhaps on a "conditional" offer - as any other with AAA, if you state that you're going to upgrade any subjects that, in regard to minimum requirements, aren't on the required level?"

I dont really understand what you mean... I have applied as PRE qualifications because I'm resitting Alevel Physics plus doing AS Further Maths (when will I start the books of those? and I have exams on January! plus the university ones in February!) If I get an offer, I will on the basis of an A in Alevel Physics and maybe an a or b in Further Maths AS! (hopefully they wont ask for the full Alevel!)

About the European qualifications... here is a link that might be useful! :smile:

http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/int/eu/quals.shtml
Reply 35
I dont really understand what you mean... I have applied as PRE qualifications because I'm resitting Alevel Physics plus doing AS Further Maths (when will I start the books of those? and I have exams on January! plus the university ones in February!) If I get an offer, I will on the basis of an A in Alevel Physics and maybe an a or b in Further Maths AS! (hopefully they wont ask for the full Alevel!)

I'm just asking, whether or not they'll admit me without the required A-level in chemistry. I've heard of "conditional offers" where your admission depends on your exam grades (e.g. if you're pre qualification). However, I have studied under a system that is different from the ones listed in the link in my previous post.

Regarding the A-level: I'm asking about the same thing. Is a Danish C-level in Chemistry (top-grades, if it makes a difference) sufficient? Is As? Or do you need A2?

In the "qualification box" on my application I wrote "POST" - was this an error? (I have completed Upper-Secondary School).
Reply 36
mmm POST is when you have completed ALL your school/college examinations (ie: those usually done with the age of 17/18/19)

About the Danish Alevel... no idea sorry... for example... for the Spanish one... the maximum you can get is a 10 and they want 9 or higher! But in the European Bach they want 85% ... and in the Italian system they want 95!!! So it varies depending on the country!
Reply 37
Obecalp
The subject is Physiological Sciences (medicine).

Does Oxford University, by any chance, offer a "turbo-course" prior to admission?

You do realise that Physiological Sciences is a degree in physiology that's offered in the pre-clincial medicine department at Oxford and is not a medical degree?
Reply 38
Fluffy
You do realise that Physiological Sciences is a degree in physiology that's offered in the pre-clincial medicine department at Oxford and is not a medical degree?

Damn, Fluffy, you made my heart stop beating for just one moment there! :eek:

On the instruction on how to complete the Oxford application form there is no such thing as "Medicine" - however, you may choose between "Physiological Sciences B100" and "Physiological Sciences (Medicine) A100". Surely, there is a difference. :smile:

P.s. From http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/courses/medi.shtml: "UCAS codes: Standard course: A100 BMBCh; Accelerated course: A101 (Graduate entry only) BMBCh4 ".
Reply 39
hmm - preclinical medics are reading for a Biomedical Sciences BA these days! surprised they haven't ammended the OAF to account for this & remove any future confusion!

to answer the Chemistry related Q - A2 Chemistry is essential for those doing A2 subjects for the standard entry course.
so basically i think you need to find out what your chemistry C-Level qualification is equivalent to (there are companies that do this? or contact the OUCAO, because i imagine they have some generic guidance - email addresses on the websites) & if it's below A2 then i imagine you would need to do A2 Chem or your country's equivalent in order to be able to meet any offer you might receive by August next year. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending