The Student Room Group

Do you international students have lot of British friends?

As far as I know some people are likely to be in their own groups depending on their they came from or other reasons. And British people are not interested in making friends with people from other countries

Scroll to see replies

scandal
As far as I know some people are likely to be in their own groups depending on their they came from or other reasons. And British people are not interested in making friends with people from other countries

thats wrong and racist
Reply 2
I'll make friends with anyone from any country so I guess you're wrong because I'm British.
Reply 3
legendary collison
thats wrong and racist

Indeed.

I find international students to be extremely interesting and thought provoking. You can learn a lot from them. They're usually very kind and it must be hard for them settling into a new country. I think most of them are interested in making British friends, but don't always know how best to do this. So help them!
Reply 4
scandal
British people are not interested in making friends with people from other countries

Actually I think you'll find it's completely the other way round. Every single moan I've heard about international students isn't "they're foreign and I don't like it", it's "They make no effort to be friends or talk to us, and just stay in their room or hang with other people of their own nationality".

I think you'll find that in Britain (one of the most multicultural places in the world) people are perfectly happy to be friends with international students. They aren't going to try to make friends with you if you refuse to speak with them or lock yourself in your room though - which would be the same for a British student who did the same thing.
Reply 5
As an international student I do find it rather odd when other international students fail to integrate. And at least at the University I was at, people stuck to their own ethnic groups (even if they were home students- which I also found unusual!)

I understand that this might be down to the simple fact of people not being comfortable or incompatibility of values; but I honestly think its pointless if you don't force yourself to come out that comfort zone and interact with people especially with local students. Most of my friends are local British students and they are kind, warm people who are considerate and curious about all cultures. Try and integrate right from the start and have a diverse group of friends because it will really add a new dimension to your stay in the country.
Reply 6
That is very comforting to hear. I've been in Holland half of my life (was born there), and find the Dutch very closed, they look open and liberal but god, in universities they stick to their own people. Got my Bsc, and thought hell i will not do my master here, im moving, to the UK
Reply 7
I hope British people are open!
(edited 13 years ago)
its hard to make friends at uni especially as everyone is doing his/her own thing and also people tend to stick to their own groups in terms of ethnicity,language or region in which they come from.For me as a football mad person it was easy to form friends with anyone who shared the same passion.But curiously though,most of my time at uni,I am with people from the same racial group as I am even though they are all British.Outside Uni,I spend most of my time with my two housemates and their friends and they are from a diffrent group.just puzzling!!!!!!!!!!!
I think as long as us internationals make the effort, at least from my experience talking with Brits on here and some friends of mine, they're quite willing to be our friends. At least, I would hope as I'll be there next year for uni! :biggrin:
Original post by scandal

Original post by Danti1988
I'll make friends with anyone from any country so I guess you're wrong because I'm British.

I don't believe a white English(not British) will make friend with a foreighner mostly with non-European
Original post by Tefhel
Actually I think you'll find it's completely the other way round. Every single moan I've heard about international students isn't "they're foreign and I don't like it", it's "They make no effort to be friends or talk to us, and just stay in their room or hang with other people of their own nationality".

It's totally negative. I always moved through diversified societies in my life. Here in UK when I moved my step to anyone(all English not all British) expecially the young boys and girls(14-34), they instantly avoided me. European don't like other race. English hates different coloures as they think their ancestors ruled the world and we should still be their subjects. [For Sex I have seen some women like Black race personalities(By born British) for a physical exceptionality but that is not general friendship] Other than white, International students should never come Europe mostly U.K. for higher education, should go to Canada, USA or Japan. With the name of diversity, UK is doing business; Her people hates different colour foreighner where they live on benefits; it's shame. 2-4% British can be different, I must respect them. But exception is not general.
I have a few British friends, they are nice and very sweet.
I have met some British people who instantly avoided me though. Not just British people though.

Why do people think English people are hard to make friends with foreigners?
Original post by legendary collison
thats wrong and racist

Not at all. It's rude and discriminatory, but we have plenty of British people already here that are of different ethnicities that get along together just fine, so "racist" isn't the word I'd use. Xenophobic, maybe.
[QUOTE="serenitybs65ee;28729298"]
Original post by Tefhel

It's totally negative. I always moved through diversified societies in my life. Here in UK when I moved my step to anyone(all English not all British) expecially the young boys and girls(14-34), they instantly avoided me. European don't like other race. English hates different coloures as they think their ancestors ruled the world and we should still be their subjects. [For Sex I have seen some women like Black race personalities(By born British) for a physical exceptionality but that is not general friendship] Other than white, International students should never come Europe mostly U.K. for higher education, should go to Canada, USA or Japan. With the name of diversity, UK is doing business; Her people hates different colour foreighner where they live on benefits; it's shame. 2-4% British can be different, I must respect them. But exception is not general.

Which run down hick town did YOU go to? I'm not white, and I certainly haven't had that kind of trouble in person. Not ever. I know it happens, but claiming that 98% of white English people are racist is just ridiculous.
I'll be in the UK full time next fall, and I'm really looking forward to meeting tons of new people! I don't plan on seeking out other Americans specifically (what would be the point of moving to another country, then?), but I'll hang out with whomever seems nice.

It must be a different experience for students who don't speak English as a first language, and I don't really blame them for sticking together somewhat - I'd be way too scared to move to a non-English speaking country myself! I agree with what someone else said about international students tending to hang out with each other. That's what happens at my school, and it turns into a vicious cycle: we don't think they want to hang out with us, so we stop offering; they think we're unfriendly, so they stick together.:s-smilie:

But like I said, it must be overwhelming to come to a place like America, where people tend to get in your face and try to be your friend (at least that's how we are in the Midwest!):biggrin:

But hey, I have no idea what Britain will be like. We'll see when I get there!
Original post by StakedSalmon

[QUOTE="StakedSalmon;28729334"]
Original post by serenitybs65ee

Which run down hick town did YOU go to? I'm not white, and I certainly haven't had that kind of trouble in person. Not ever. I know it happens, but claiming that 98% of white English people are racist is just ridiculous.

what is your race mate?
Original post by serenitybs65ee

What country are you from? This is utter bullsh*t btw.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by asdfg0987

Original post by asdfg0987
What country are you from? This is utter bullsh*t btw.

I wrote that for my Asian friends who do fantasy to be friend of White English people because of wrong conception they get from media and crap histories. May be reading my comment they will not waste time and come in this racist continent wasting so much money. I prefer them to go to USA, Canada or Japan
Reply 19
It depends on where the person is from! Those from the cities tend to be quite friendly and nice and get along very well with the internation students, but those from little towns and villages tend to find it a bit difficult to get along well with those from other races :smile: Nothing wrong with it! But only thing is for certain, internationals themselves are partly to blame because most Asians just socialize amongst themselves :angry: Idiots!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending