This discussion is closed.
Alexander04
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
is it too late to drop an a level i'm doing maths, chemistry, biology and psychology, i'm expected to get 4 a grades and have uni offers already but don't think i can cope with the stress- advice required
Alexander04
Rep:
?
maybe i should drop psychology since it's not really a critical subject - that is if i'm permitted to do so at this stage!
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alexander04)
is it too late to drop an a level i'm doing maths, chemistry, biology and psychology, i'm expected to get 4 a grades and have uni offers already but don't think i can cope with the stress- advice required
Well, this stress is nothing on the stress that you'll get at uni, not that i know, but i would imagine.
It depends on whether you can make the offer you want to accept without the fouth subject really.
If not, then maybe you should try to keep going.
But if the stress is so bad you don't think you'll do well enough in four A-levels, then regardless of the uni places, i'd recommend dropping one.
What subject are you looking to do at uni?
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
if u have a 3 A-Level pffer, then u should almost certainly be allowed to do the 3 subjects specified by the offer.

there is no need to do more, when ur offer is 3 ALevels.

ring the uni's (one's u most botherd about) and ask them - 99% likely they will say yes.
amexblack
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
if you're finding it difficult, drop psychology. bear in mind that if you change the number of a-levels you're taking, you still need to tell the relevant unis even if that a-level is not part of the offer. you're doing decent a-levels, apart from psychology. if i were you i'd drop psychology, so long as you're not applying to read anything related to it.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
maybe i should drop psychology since it's not really a critical subject - that is if i'm permitted to do so at this stage!
u can do whatever you want to do.
Matt the cat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
if u have a 3 A-Level pffer, then u should almost certainly be allowed to do the 3 subjects specified by the offer.

there is no need to do more, when ur offer is 3 ALevels.

ring the uni's (one's u most botherd about) and ask them - 99% likely they will say yes.
Yes when you ring them you must get evidence you have done so, because once you accept your offer your will have formed a contract... and the conditions are what you have stated you are doing in you examination, therefore if you get your 3 A's but do not get even a pass in the 4th a Level then i do not think that you will have maintained the conditions of your contract and so the uni doesn't have to let you in, if they want to be really mean... I think this is the case... but i'm pretty sure that it is likely a uni will not mind.
Alexander04
Rep:
?
(Original post by Iluvatar)
What subject are you looking to do at uni?
biochemistry or natural sciences in cambridge - thing is i actually enjoy psychology
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
biochemistry or natural sciences in cambridge - thing is i actually enjoy psychology
well just do the 4 and work ahrd then - A A2's is heavy but not overly heavy. you should be ok, long as u work hard and dont waste much time.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well funnily i'm in just about the same situation. I'm taking four A-levels, and i was thinking about dropping one, and psych was the one i didn't need, but enjoyed most really.
Well, to be honest i'd recommend what i'm doing myself, just keep taking them.
The way i see it is that whatever stress i'm under, i'd regret not taking psychology.
If you think that you'd regret dropping it, then i'd say keep going.
But if you don't think you can keep going doing all four, then you would have to drop psychology really, to be honest.
George-W-Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm also doing four A2 subjects (and the non subject general studies) and was thinking of dropping maths due to the heavy workload, but it changes week to week for me, sometimes i dont mind the extra work. Best thing to do is wait till all your offers are in and then decide if the extra workload will restrict your chances of getting the grades you require and make your decision from there.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by George-W-Duck)
I'm also doing four A2 subjects (and the non subject general studies) and was thinking of dropping maths due to the heavy workload, but it changes week to week for me, sometimes i dont mind the extra work. Best thing to do is wait till all your offers are in and then decide if the extra workload will restrict your chances of getting the grades you require and make your decision from there.
ditto.

btw: you should not drop mathematics. thats the most useful/respected a-level you can have.....
Percy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Whatever you do, do NOT drop Psychology!!!
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes, you are very bad, now go sit in the corner.
soph2004
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i think that you shouldnt drop any of ur Alevels but just
pioritise them and so you work hardest on thos u want and then least on the one ur not too bothered about and then the stress shouldnt be so bad that way if your will get more points and so youll defently be able to go to uni

with me i take ICT VCE double award
Graphics
accounting
geography

if i have any work to do it i do it in that order and wen it comes to geo i do really do much work but still getting the grades which even if i dont do too well ill still have to points which counts

anyway before you drop think of all the work that you have done it would be a waste if u drop

sophie
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I take maths physics chem and biology and dont find it too much work at all, i find with biology i can do it with little revision, and as my offers are based on the other three i can concentrate on them but if its too much stress drop physcology
Mat666
Report 16 years ago
I'm currently taking six AS Levels, including General Studies, so I suppose I'm only taking five since I do no work for it. I'll prob drop on and do four A levels next year, but I find that as far as the workload goes it is best if you prioritise. After all, its your life.

By the way: DO NOT drop maths. I do Maths and Further Maths, and though sometimes they are dead hard and virtually undoable, driving me totally insane, the reward after you finish them outweighs the work you put into them.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (211)
67.63%
No (101)
32.37%

Watched Threads