This discussion is closed.
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
What I really despise is when people try and impose their views upon you.
Very true. What people fail to realise it that this works both ways.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Eternal Idol)
The world would be a better place without religions, just a fact.
How can you pass off something so subjective, as a fact?
It is beyond belief.
EI_123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
How can you pass off something so subjective, as a fact?
It is beyond belief.
I've explained in the next post:

Hehehe, no problem, I would love a world where everyone has his faith, the same that others or unique one and everyone understand his right.
But, actually, in this world, religions tend to start wars and spread hate.
See you later.
Kirki
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
But, actually, in this world, religions tend to start wars and spread hate.
Can you back up this statement? Are you suggesting that religion itself causes wars and hate, more than any other form of belief system?
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Kirki)
Can you back up this statement? Are you suggesting that religion itself causes wars and hate, more than any other form of belief system?
Yes, two words : India & Pakistan.
And I can mention hundred of examples.

I didn't suggest that.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes, two words : India & Pakistan.
And I can mention hundred of examples.

I didn't suggest that.
Considering religious belief was the main proprietor of moral values, your argument is a little one-sided.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Considering religious belief was the main proprietor of moral values, your argument is a little one-sided.
I'll stick to those two words until someone refute them.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'll stick to those two words until someone refute them.
You could argue that these wars are bore from the dispute of land.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's a religious war, gotta go to home, work it's over, see you.
Agrippina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, what about the Catholic/Protestant thing in Northern Ireland? Or am I just ignorant?
Kirki
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You've only given one example and yet you used the word "tend" in your original statement. Unless you can back up that in the majority of cases religion leads to war and hatred, then your original statement is false and therefore offensive. Of course some followers of religion are hateful, and of course there are some wars where the main cause of them is religion. However, there are similar amounts of hatred and war coming from non-religious beliefs. Would this not suggest that it is the people, rather than the religion, that is to blame?
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I went to the the most famous Roman Catholic school in the country and was taught this stuff from age three.

Firstly, the catholic church believes that indeed there is only one god but that god is in three parts. The father, the son and the holy spirit. Secondly, I believe, after having religion stuffed down my throat most of my life that the bible is sheer propoganda.

A lot of the stories in the old testament are versions of Classical civilisations idea e.g. Egypt and one sole god. Also a lot of the events in the old testament like when the walls of Jericho fell down is blatently an earthquake and not god working his magic. What happened in Iran a month ago? Same region, but was it god? No.

Then the new testament was written by people who didnt even know Jesus. 2nd hand information which they 'spiced up' to make people follow them. Paul who did know Jesus also wrote a version but this was disregarded because it didnt reflect well on Jesus himself (he got drunk, liked women etc)

There are so many occasions too when the old and new testaments contradict themselves. The old testament will tell you ''eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth''. Whilst the new testament states ''thou shall not kill''. The list is endless. The bible and religion was just a way for humans in the past to relate to unexplainable things like earthquakes etc.
Agrippina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
I went to the the most famous Roman Catholic school in the country and was taught this stuff from age three.

Firstly, the catholic church believes that indeed there is only one god but that god is in three parts. The father, the son and the holy spirit. Secondly, I believe, after having religion stuffed down my throat most of my life that the bible is sheer propoganda.

A lot of the stories in the old testament are versions of Classical civilisations idea e.g. Egypt and one sole god. Also a lot of the events in the old testament like when the walls of Jericho fell down is blatently an earthquake and not god working his magic. What happened in Iran a month ago? Same region, but was it god? No.

Then the new testament was written by people who didnt even know Jesus. 2nd hand information which they 'spiced up' to make people follow them. Paul who did know Jesus also wrote a version but this was disregarded because it didnt reflect well on Jesus himself (he got drunk, liked women etc)

There are so many occasions too when the old and new testaments contradict themselves. The old testament will tell you ''eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth''. Whilst the new testament states ''thou shall not kill''. The list is endless. The bible and religion was just a way for humans in the past to relate to unexplainable things like earthquakes etc.
Hey that's really interesting I never knew/thought of it like that ! Just confirms my original views though. I can't believe there are people out there who actually take seriously every word written in the Bible. Sorry I hope I'm not offending anyone
iiikewldude
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Can you prove it?...
no u can't prove anything except for pure mathematics.
prince_capri
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by superior)
what do u belive in jesus ?? God or human (prophet).
u have probably started a war of words here !!!
I personally believe that he is a human (prophet), and god is a different concept altogether !!!
darknessishope
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The world would be a better place without religions, just a fact.
Weber 'The Protestant Ethic' showed that calvanism helped provide social change in a society from feudalism to capitalism, showing that religion did actually help a society.

(Original post by Joey-Johns)
http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/

That site gives a lot of contradictions in the bible, just in case anyone want to actually check
material breach
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
you are obviously arent christians and have virtually no understanding of christainity as the reason there are differences between the old testement and the new is because of jesus.

before you all start on me i would just like to point out that i am an athiest.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Eeyore)
Well, what about the Catholic/Protestant thing in Northern Ireland? Or am I just ignorant?
Think about it.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Speciez99)
you are obviously arent christians and have virtually no understanding of christainity as the reason there are differences between the old testement and the new is because of jesus.

before you all start on me i would just like to point out that i am an athiest.
Love the little addition of athiesm. I do understand the difference between the old and new testament however, and I still maintain that it is all a form of propaganda. *shrugs* People have always been both cunning and stupid. The cunning prey on the stupid. Simple as that. If anyone disagrees, then please tell me why we buy knives off TV based on the fact that we can use a steak knife to saw through a hammer just because someone did it on TV.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
Love the little addition of athiesm. I do understand the difference between the old and new testament however, and I still maintain that it is all a form of propaganda. *shrugs* People have always been both cunning and stupid. The cunning prey on the stupid. Simple as that. If anyone disagrees, then please tell me why we buy knives off TV based on the fact that we can use a steak knife to saw through a hammer just because someone did it on TV.
I don't mean this offensively, because I respect you;

I think you should get educated on the matter.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (473)
59.35%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.4%
No- I want it (228)
28.61%
No- I don't want it (53)
6.65%

Watched Threads