This discussion is closed.
SAM*
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I Applied To Do Medicine As My Degree Course Starting 2004 In October Last Year And I Still Haven't Had Any Response And Am Getting Quite Worried- I Was Wondering If Any One Could Provide Any Scope On How Long The Selection Procedures Take!!!
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by SAM*)
I Applied To Do Medicine As My Degree Course Starting 2004 In October Last Year And I Still Haven't Had Any Response And Am Getting Quite Worried- I Was Wondering If Any One Could Provide Any Scope On How Long The Selection Procedures Take!!!
Oxbridge offers have been done and dusted by now, but from other uni's, u still could be waiting......for a while even..........
ThunderCat8
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
All I have had is 2 confimation letters (one from Southampton and one from Cardiff). I have a rejection from Peninsula but I only found out about that because I emailed them. If you're worried, email the uni's and ask how your application is coming along. I phoned up Brighton Sussex and they told me they are still considering my application.

So the moral of the story is, they are still deciding on who to interview and who to reject etc, so you still have a chance.

Where have you applied to by the way?

Good luck!
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Try giving the admissions department of each med school a call. I did this last year with southampton and they told me they were running late. Can't do any harm.
SAM*
(Original post by ThunderCat8)
All I have had is 2 confimation letters (one from Southampton and one from Cardiff). I have a rejection from Peninsula but I only found out about that because I emailed them. If you're worried, email the uni's and ask how your application is coming along. I phoned up Brighton Sussex and they told me they are still considering my application.

So the moral of the story is, they are still deciding on who to interview and who to reject etc, so you still have a chance.

Where have you applied to by the way?

Good luck!

I have applied to:

Imperial
King's
UCL
Queen Mary's

I have had an acknowledgement from Imperial quite a while ago! Do you think emailing the universities might be a bit annoying for them?
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by SAM*)
I have applied to:

Imperial
King's
UCL
Queen Mary's

I have had an acknowledgement from Imperial quite a while ago! Do you think emailing the universities might be a bit annoying for them?

Give them a phone call and ask them for how long are they considering medicine applicants for interview. You don't have to give your name if it's a general query anyway.
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by SAM*)
I have applied to:

Imperial
King's
UCL
Queen Mary's

I've applied to Imp, KCL and UCL too I've only heard from KCL though - don't worry about it Imperial and UCL are interviewing up to and during March so you are still in with a big chance. It's just due of oversubscription that's all I wouldn't bother calling them, they probably get loads of calls and it just delays them further. As you have your confirmation from IC you definitely know that they received your application so there is no need for concern there - they probably just haven't got round to reading it yet . Good luck !
SAM*
Thanks guys! I ended up ringin some of the unis and they were fine about it, they said that i may hear from them as late as April so i'll keep my fingers crossed! Good luck to everyone else who is in the same boat as i am!
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lucy)
I've applied to Imp, KCL and UCL too I've only heard from KCL though - don't worry about it Imperial and UCL are interviewing up to and during March so you are still in with a big chance. It's just due of oversubscription that's all I wouldn't bother calling them, they probably get loads of calls and it just delays them further. As you have your confirmation from IC you definitely know that they received your application so there is no need for concern there - they probably just haven't got round to reading it yet . Good luck !
Lucy, i take it you are definitely going to Oxford to do Medicine, yes?
bougeoursie_Roo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
can you do medecine at an oxbrige uni, and if so what grade a-levels u need? i assume straight A's... also how impoartant are interviews?
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
Lucy, i take it you are definitely going to Oxford to do Medicine, yes?
It will definitely be my firm choice but if I fail to achieve my offer I really want to go to UCL (or maybe Imperial) - the two unis who've decided to keep me hanging
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bougeoursie_Roo)
can you do medecine at an oxbrige uni, and if so what grade a-levels u need? i assume straight A's... also how impoartant are interviews?
Yep you can apply for pre-clin at both Cambridge and Oxford - AAA offers unless an EE offer from Christ's College, Cambridge :eek:

Interviews are very important as is a reasonable BMAT performance and good past academic achievements
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lucy)
Yep you can apply for pre-clin at both Cambridge and Oxford - AAA offers unless an EE offer from Christ's College, Cambridge :eek:

Interviews are very important as is a reasonable BMAT performance and good past academic achievements
Well, all the best Lucy, hope you get your offer (which you will).
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
Well, all the best Lucy, hope you get your offer (which you will).
Aw thanks Hope everything goes well with your application too, for you it's just beginning !
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lucy)
Aw thanks Hope everything goes well with your application too, for you it's just beginning !
apparently i can benefit from the special access scheme.........

according to what Mad Nat Sci said.........
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
apparently i can benefit from the special access scheme.........

according to what Mad Nat Sci said.........
Ah, should definitely be worthwhile looking into it then !
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lucy)
Ah, should definitely be worthwhile looking into it then !
my parents never went to university because they lived in iran, and at the time when they were approaching the age of 18-21, the war was on, hence they moved away to england at the time.

apparently, if both ur parents havent been to university, then u can be entitled to benefiting from the special access scheme perhaps.

even though my parents doing a degree/not has absolutely zero relevance to anything.........

Irony is, some1 said "but u got good gcse results therefore they may not give you it."

so they r saying, a person in the same situation as me (parents never did degree, should be irrelevant but apparently 4 this scheme it has relevance lol) who got not so good gcse results, may have a excuse to benefit from it.

however, coz my results were good, it may not be the case for me....

i doubt its like that, surely it must be "if so and so, u r entitle to this scheme" or wateva.......

either way, parents going to uni or not is irrelevant - in my view i should not need to go on this special access scheme, although on a technicality it looks like i might b able to.

i dont go to a private school either - just normal comprehensive.
SAM*
(Original post by Lucy)
It will definitely be my firm choice but if I fail to achieve my offer I really want to go to UCL (or maybe Imperial) - the two unis who've decided to keep me hanging
Well done for getting an offer form Oxford Lucy! What sort of things did they ask on your interview? Have you also been offerred Kings?
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
lucy - are you applying this year?
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
bono - if you don't feel the need to be on the access scheme in a way it's good because someone more needy will be able to go for it I'm not even sure how being on the access scheme changes the admissions procedure anyway

SAM* - Thanks I had 3 interviews at Ox - the questions were mainly logical thinking problems where you apply your biological knowledge (the question I remember the most was "Imagine you are a South American Indian and you shoot a deer with a poisoned dart and then proceed to eat it. Why don't you die?" - I quite like answering these types of questions because it doesn't matter if you get it wrong, they just want to see how you think ). As for KCL, I was interviewed and offered a place yes King's is likely to be one of your nicest interviews so don't worry about it - the interviewers are absolutely lovely so just relax and enjoy it! If you have specific questions about it I can try to answer them for you

Dan - I applied in October so yes I am presently in the middle of my application process
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?