Turn on thread page Beta

Young Enterprise watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

I want to do Young Enterprise as part of my Duke of Edinburgh award.
    Does anyone know anything about it and any good ideas to do for it?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemgems89)
    Hiya,

I want to do Young Enterprise as part of my Duke of Edinburgh award.
    Does anyone know anything about it and any good ideas to do for it?

Thanks
    I did that! and out company were crap lol. We were called Synapse and we sold Teddy Bears and we were poo... well, we came out of it with £1.27 profit but to cover costs we couldnt give investors all their share money back

However it was a right laugh. We raised money initially by car washing - in the Middle of November! We froze out arses off. You can get some good products tho... our rival compny made T-Shirts and they got £50 each at the end of it!!

DOn't chose slackers to be on your company tho cos they will drag you down. I was company secretary and marketting manager after we had a coup lol. oh, those were the days ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rednirt)
    I did that! and out company were crap lol. We were called Synapse and we sold Teddy Bears and we were poo... well, we came out of it with £1.27 profit but to cover costs we couldnt give investors all their share money back

However it was a right laugh. We raised money initially by car washing - in the Middle of November! We froze out arses off. You can get some good products tho... our rival compny made T-Shirts and they got £50 each at the end of it!!

DOn't chose slackers to be on your company tho cos they will drag you down. I was company secretary and marketting manager after we had a coup lol. oh, those were the days ...
    Sounds good.
    I don't really know much about it, all I know is that you must set up your own business and set aims.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good.
    I don't really know much about it, all I know is that you must set up your own business and set aims.
    I did it a few years ago, and basically you get a loan from the Young Enterprise corporation of about £70 and this starts you off. You can get more money by selling shares in your company (500 in all) and you can choose an item or many items and sell it!

The aim is just to get profit and make a working business. At the end you have to pay back the loan they give you, but in the mean time you go to shows and exhibitions where you can win prizes or your marketting, production and quality of your products.

I beleive there is an overall prize for best company, but it is really good fun... just make sure you do market research before you commit to a single product or line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rednirt)
    I did it a few years ago, and basically you get a loan from the Young Enterprise corporation of about £70 and this starts you off. You can get more money by selling shares in your company (500 in all) and you can choose an item or many items and sell it!

The aim is just to get profit and make a working business. At the end you have to pay back the loan they give you, but in the mean time you go to shows and exhibitions where you can win prizes or your marketting, production and quality of your products.

I beleive there is an overall prize for best company, but it is really good fun... just make sure you do market research before you commit to a single product or line.
    Thanks

I hope we'll be able to pay back the loan, lol. I suppose it's a risk worth taking.

ReputationRep:
    1) How are you able to do this for Duke of Edingburgh?

2) So far our company has made £500 already, and with several high traffic places to go to, I reackon we can turn the profits to £1000+ over.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh,

I wish I could do DofE. But my dad stopped me from doing the Bronze award with school in year 9 thinking that we all had to be 14 to do it and I wasn't going to be 14 until July, which he thought was too late.

And now whenever I see people doing Duke of Edinburgh I get pissed off because I couldn't, lol, looks so much fun. I was planning on doing it with my Scout group but then I found I'd have to join "Explorers" with a load of 18-year-olds I didn't know, have to get my mom to drive me to the meetings and pay £1.50 a week. And it doesn't help that my school only offers DofE of any kind to people at the beginning of year 9 which is a pain in the ass. And if I remember right you get the usual school attitudes of teachers assuming that anybody not doing DofE is incapable of reading maps or taking compass bearings... ok I don't think that far.

Stupid dad, lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    1) How are you able to do this for Duke of Edingburgh?

2) So far our company has made £500 already, and with several high traffic places to go to, I reackon we can turn the profits to £1000+ over.
    1) It says in the DoE booklet.

2)What are you selling?

ReputationRep:
    1) It says in the DoE booklet.

2)What are you selling?
    You don't wanna nick his ideas...

What section does Young Enterprise come under anyway? I wouldn't say that selling overpriced sweets and hand-made *****y birthday gifts is "service" to the community. Which award are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    You don't wanna nick his ideas...

What section does Young Enterprise come under anyway? I wouldn't say that selling overpriced sweets and hand-made *****y birthday gifts is "service" to the community. Which award are you doing?
    I'm not going to "nick" an idea, I'm just interested. We might sell food in school, the best place for it really.

Youth enterprise comes under Youth enterprise believe it or not. I'm doing bronze.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to "nick" an idea, I'm just interested. We might sell food in school, the best place for it really.

Youth enterprise comes under Youth enterprise believe it or not. I'm doing bronze.
    Yeah but what section... don't you have Physical Recreation, Service, Skill and Expedition that it can go towards?

All the people who do young enterprise at my school are sixth formers. And they have no presence whatsoever except they sometimes appear in corners around the school trying to sell sweets or crappy home-made gifts.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but what section... don't you have Physical Recreation, Service, Skill and Expedition that it can go towards?

All the people who do young enterprise at my school are sixth formers. And they have no presence whatsoever except they sometimes appear in corners around the school trying to sell sweets or crappy home-made gifts.
    The skill section.

Well everyone in our school goes mad with little shops in school, but I can't see it making us massive amounts of profit.

ReputationRep:
    The skill section.

Well everyone in our school goes mad with little shops in school, but I can't see it making us massive amounts of profit.
    Sure... I can see why YE people don't make that much money. If we have both a YE and charity tuck shop on at once, I know which one I'd rather spend my money on, but they schedule on them different days anyway. It's stupid really, you'd expect the tuck shops to undercut the school canteen to give cheap choccy to the people, but they don't, they just increase their prices as the canteen does.

ReputationRep:
    Sure... I can see why YE people don't make that much money. If we have both a YE and charity tuck shop on at once, I know which one I'd rather spend my money on, but they schedule on them different days anyway. It's stupid really, you'd expect the tuck shops to undercut the school canteen to give cheap choccy to the people, but they don't, they just increase their prices as the canteen does.
    Well there's no shops at our school right now, just vending machines and a cantine.

ReputationRep:
    I did young enterprise too, about 3 years ago and I was managing director of the probably the worse prize winning company (best overall company in west essex) ever! We were truely shite! We made a range of crap, poorly made products like stress balls, memo holders, t-shirts, guitar lessons etc.. which we give a universal theme, so in the end we said that all our products stimulated the senses and i mean what doesn't. Some how we managed to off load of our crap prioducts on younger years by a combination of bullying and saying you could use the products as weapons and made a bit of money! We won the prize for best company by pure fluck that all the other teams were horrendously ****! However when we went to the county finals they basically laughed us off the stage.
    Ind the end we made so little profit that we were embarrsed to give it to our shareholders so we spent it at macdonalds on an extra value meal each!

However all in all it was really fun and we had good time doing it (even though i got a bit stressed with those who didnt pull their weight) and its still a thing i mention at interviews and its on my CV as well, so if i was you i would definatly do it!

Luv

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kuz)
    I did young enterprise too, about 3 years ago and I was managing director of the probably the worse prize winning company (best overall company in west essex) ever! We were truely shite! We made a range of crap, poorly made products like stress balls, memo holders, t-shirts, guitar lessons etc.. which we give a universal theme, so in the end we said that all our products stimulated the senses and i mean what doesn't. Some how we managed to off load of our crap prioducts on younger years by a combination of bullying and saying you could use the products as weapons and made a bit of money! We won the prize for best company by pure fluck that all the other teams were horrendously ****! However when we went to the county finals they basically laughed us off the stage.
    Ind the end we made so little profit that we were embarrsed to give it to our shareholders so we spent it at macdonalds on an extra value meal each!

However all in all it was really fun and we had good time doing it (even though i got a bit stressed with those who didnt pull their weight) and its still a thing i mention at interviews and its on my CV as well, so if i was you i would definatly do it!

Luv
    Yeah.. thanks We probaly will do it, sounds better than all the other skills anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah.. thanks We probaly will do it, sounds better than all the other skills anyway.
    Ooooooo can I have a job?

ReputationRep:
    Ooooooo can I have a job?
    Yes, of course.

ReputationRep:
    Sell your body for maximum profit!

I'll be your Human Resources Manager, which is pretty much the same as being yo p1mp.

ReputationRep:
    I did it last year. The company was an absolute flop but i'm really glad I did it. I learnt a lot from it, and it's certainly not a bad thing to add to your personal statement, and CV.

About your food idea: I think there are quite strick health and safety rules for YE, and you'd have to look into whether you'd be allowed to sell food. My feeling is that unfortunately, I don't think you are, but dont take my word for it.

My one piece of advice, which is the reason why my company failed is that do not have a company with too many members. This is very important. I stupidly let my company have 14 members, which was a huge mistake. Only about 5 of us really wanted to do it, and were keen and motivated. Everyone else seemed to be there so they would have something to put down on their UCAS form. This meant that people never turned up to meetings etc etc, the people who were keen at the beginning, then started giving up bothering, because some people weren't, and thus it ended up being pretty much me and my friend trying to do everything.

Our actual product was good though, and I wear them all the time. We bought lots of knickers and thongs (all girls school) and customised them so that each side was tied up with different coloured ribbons.

My advice would be to definitely do YE, but to choose a product which is not too hard to make, and keep the group smaller rather than bigger.

Hope that helps!

O, and don't leave it late to start it going! Start it early so that the momentum picks off!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.