This discussion is closed.
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Just wondering is there a requirement to do Young Enterprise at Sixth Form, like do you have to be doing Business Studies or Economics or something.

Looks interesting... my school do it.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
Just wondering is there a requirement to do Young Enterprise at Sixth Form, like do you have to be doing Business Studies or Economics or something.

Looks interesting... my school do it.
Lots of schools do it in Year 11, at my school there was a series of interviews and you had to fill in an incredibly long application form. Then there was the psychometric tests...
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I did YE 2 years ago - but we didn't get a loan to start - we had to pay THEM £75 for the privalige of having a company.

I was Finance Director and we came out with a profit of £400 and made it to our area finals - all without having made a product! Basically we organised a Valentines disco for the younger years and it made a LOT of money. We did intend on creating a range of larger print products for visually impaired people (like playing cards etc) but we only got as far as prototypes. Though we did get shortlisted for the prize for the most innovative product.
George-W-Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I wish i could have done it, theres nothing like a bit of friendly competition and i like the sound of starting my own business, be it a shabby one!
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Chicken)
I did YE 2 years ago - but we didn't get a loan to start - we had to pay THEM £75 for the privalige of having a company.

I was Finance Director and we came out with a profit of £400 and made it to our area finals - all without having made a product! Basically we organised a Valentines disco for the younger years and it made a LOT of money. We did intend on creating a range of larger print products for visually impaired people (like playing cards etc) but we only got as far as prototypes. Though we did get shortlisted for the prize for the most innovative product.
I'm FD too! We are also making loads of money with our Discos, though they were only really an after-thought.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Our wonderful products:

http://www.yepulse.com/products.htm
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Young enterprise:

My company (of which I am the Personnel Director) is called GCE.

Stages of selling

1) Chocolates-boxes of them to little school children, banned after 3 weeks. Apparently some little boy kept buying £10 worth of chocs every day.

2) Sell novelties, cheap stuff (20p-£5 range).

Current products: Sadaam Playing cards, sticky men-we sold over 3000 of them to teh school, they stick to walls, and considering we sold this many, we will probably be banned soon. etc

3) Candles, we sold some candles cause another company was selling them. We wanted to do something to them because we had £200 capital lying about. We bought loads of candles and made about £100, and totally undercut the competiton.

4) Our main product is computer games, we programme them and sell them, so we need "capital" to produce the cds, etc. Utter BS, an excuse to make money.

5) We plan to run a PS2 Time Crsis 2 competiton, we hope to bring in about £200

6) We have a website devoted to online gaming-textbased. Like planetarion, but better. We own it, and it makes £30 per month. From the school suscbribers.

Now we are probably the only company in the UK, to sell our own made games and create a planetarion based game to play. We should make the finals, regional at least.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
BTW, we are the first company in the history of our school, who have fired our Company secretary, cause he was a lazy lazy boy. We had a forced buyout. And I wrote his "resignation" letter.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Wow.

I wanna do Young Enterprise. But all my friends would either not take it seriously or not take me seriously.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Wow.

I wanna do Young Enterprise. But all my friends would either not take it seriously or not take me seriously.
You don't need to do it with your friends, go for it alone, it is very well respected by universities and employers, so the joke will definately be on them in the long-term.
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
Our wonderful products:

http://www.yepulse.com/products.htm
Are they your stuff?

I wanna do YE, but only if I could work on my own (I'd want all the success). Oooh I know what I could sell! How can you do this YE?
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
Are they your stuff?

I wanna do YE, but only if I could work on my own (I'd want all the success). Oooh I know what I could sell! How can you do this YE?
You cannot work by yourself, must be a part of a group. Of 8 at least.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Are they your stuff?

Yes, they are our humble goods.

The whole point of YE is developing team work skills, including communication skills.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes, they are our humble goods.

The whole point of YE is developing team work skills, including communication skills.

Oooh how clever! What's your name? I'm having a neb round your school.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
You cannot work by yourself, must be a part of a group. Of 8 at least.
Well I wouldn't do it then, I hate slackers. One day I'll create my own business anyway, I know I'd make a good business woman.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Oooh how clever! What's your name? I'm having a neb round your school.
Alas, that information cannot be disclosed. And I'm not listed as Finance Director, though I am one of those seventeen people.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You don't need to do it with your friends, go for it alone, it is very well respected by universities and employers, so the joke will definately be on them in the long-term.
Ah, they'd be happy to do it, they just wouldn't take me seriously. They'd give me the ****test job for a start and want me to obey orders from them. I wouldn't mind if it were well managed. We had a go at setting up our own "company" in year 9, well it was a bit of fun, and two people (one of them was the guy who'd written the script for the "film" we were trying to make so we couldn't argue) declared themselves the "Administration", refused to do any work and even argued between themselves I think. And they spent more time making "Official" branded stuff than actually doing something useful, yes we ended up with a very nice document template on Microsoft Word, and very nice CD case inserts for the CDs with our work on, but the furthest we ever got in production was arguing whether we were going to use claymation, computer animation or live acting. (OK there was Stop! the Lego movie but that didn't get made in time for the deadline for its competition entry.)
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Alas, that information cannot be disclosed. And I'm not listed as Finance Director, though I am one of those seventeen people.
I bet your called Bill, well that's the only name I saw. I can't remember any other names.

But then I wont tell you or anyone else my name or where I'm from. So I can't complain.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
17? The profits must be cut thin. We have 10, but got greddy, so we kicked someone out.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ah, they'd be happy to do it, they just wouldn't take me seriously. They'd give me the ****test job for a start and want me to obey orders from them. I wouldn't mind if it were well managed. We had a go at setting up our own "company" in year 9, well it was a bit of fun, and two people (one of them was the guy who'd written the script for the "film" we were trying to make so we couldn't argue) declared themselves the "Administration", refused to do any work and even argued between themselves I think. And they spent more time making "Official" branded stuff than actually doing something useful, yes we ended up with a very nice document template on Microsoft Word, and very nice CD case inserts for the CDs with our work on, but the furthest we ever got in production was arguing whether we were going to use claymation, computer animation or live acting. (OK there was Stop! the Lego movie but that didn't get made in time for the deadline for its competition entry.)
I'll do it with you. Except I don't live in Birmingham. LOL hmm that wouldn't work!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (388)
67.24%
No (189)
32.76%

Watched Threads