The Student Room Group

People who have taken norethisterone!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Mattie98
can i get norethisterone free from the doctors??

If you're entitled to free prescriptions then yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Iv been on the period delay tablets iv been off them 4 days still no period will my cycle go back to normal at were ttc from October
Reply 22
Just thought I would share my norethisterone experience as I was sceptical beforehand having seen such mixed reviews. I wanted to delay my period for a holiday and was finally swayed to try norethisterone by a friend who had had a positive experience. I didn't experience any cramps/discomfort/mood swings while taking the tablets and actually found remembering to take them three times a day easier than I had anticipated. I started my period three days after stoping and it lasted for a normal length of time. It was probably slightly heavier and more painful to begin with but this could've been coincidence but is probably just a common result of adjusting my cycle-I deemed it to definitely be worth it as I could enjoy my holiday. I know different people have different experiences using norethisterone, having read a lot of negative (and slightly off putting stories) when I was looking in to delaying my period, and wanted to share my more positive one. Hopefully if you're looking to delay your period using norethisterone then it works for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
The same thing happened to me , my period was due two weeks ago and it still hasnt arrrived. i was thinking of going back on the pill . Should i wait til my period comes or will i be okay to take it now ?
Reply 24
Whenever I've taken norethisterone, the period that comes after has been an almightily horrible one (severe cramping, very heavy flow) - probably because it's been needing to expel for 2 weeks and unable to! I'm pretty certain occasional courses of norethisterone is what messed up my cycle - I haven't taken it for more than 2 years now but I still have incredibly irregular periods, and can go several months without one now. So don't worry too much, norethisterone is notorious for making it hard to return to a regular cycle. GPs can test your hormone levels if your lack of periods goes on for several months, but even the majority of time it'll just be a case of waiting for them to come back/become more regular.
Reply 25
Came across this feed. Was wondering if anyone knows if you get back on the combined pill after you've finished norethisterone and having your period? I'm only taking norethisterone for 3/4days.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by k_xx1
Came across this feed. Was wondering if anyone knows if you get back on the combined pill after you've finished norethisterone and having your period? I'm only taking norethisterone for 3/4days.

I'm not sure about that (I thought you couldn't take norethisterone if you took hormonal contraception) but if you're on the combined pill you can just run your packets together instead of taking the break to skip your period.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Hi you know your saying you took this tablet a few times every time you have come off ot when it comes to your 2nd period did u alwaya come on the following month or did you miss a month each time? As this is my 2nd time ive attempted to use it and the 1st time i toom ot i came on 3 days after then i missed 1 month and came on the following month so i just wanted to ask will it be the same this time you think?
Ive had a thumping headache since ive stopped takin them almost a month now! Could that be a side affect?
After taking norethesterone, if I have sex. Will my period start back?
I got norethisterone to stop my period so would I stay off when finish the course
Reply 31
Hi question.. I have that messed up irregular menses and sometimes no menses after taking them.. It will be normal after months? Just to be sure..
I've had monthly for 15 days doctor put me on utovlan I stopped a day later do I have to complete course
I have been taking them for ages this time is different I was taking them for a few days and haven’t had a period for like 4 months took pregnancy tests and they are all negative what shall I do
Original post by Sue fluffy
I don't know when my period starts as they are a bit messed up. So can I just take Norethisterone when j think it's about the right time.. Will it still work

I've been on norethisterone for a few months this year and I've always started my withdrawal bleed 3 days after stopping only problem I have is it lasts longer over a week! With me having heavy prolonged periods for past 5 yrs now and pcos it's not a pretty sight theses tablets are my go too but now I think I'm going to leave it as they really screw up ur periods and esp the withdrawal bleed lasting for over a week is over the top
I started taking Norethisterone 3 days ago to delay my period. Today being the 3rd day, I am bleeding (less like spotting and more like period, with cramps). I saw that it may be breakthrough bleeding but I don't know. Should I continue with the pills? Why exactly am I bleeding. I'd like some help please
Reply 36
I took norethisterone to delay my period, it worked and my period was delayed by 2 weeks, I got my period and it was the most painful period I have ever had in my life and I have been bleeding for 11 days now, it’s still quite heavy and doesn’t look like it will stop anytime soon
I took them for my holiday in Dec, first period was normal now my 2nd period is 5 days late so looks like my cycle is a mess. No way I can be pregnant either

Quick Reply

Latest